PS3 and Dolby 5.1

nicmartim

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
SE Nebraska
I have just recently purchased a PS3 and replaced my older Sony up-converting (HDMI) DVD player. I simply unplugged the HDMI cable from the back of the DVD player and plugged it into the PS3. Well, long story short, there is now no 5.1 surround whereas there was w/ the DVD player. The HDMI is plugged directly into my Sanyo 42" LCD and coaxial into my Sony receiver w/ Dolby and DTS capabilities. I have checked every option in the PS3 and made NO changes to the receiver or TV. I currently DO get 5.1 from the TV via the Vip722 through that very same coaxial cable and receiver. Any suggestions on how to get the most out of the Blu-Ray and 5.1? Thanks in advance

For regular DD and DTS, I think the ps3 has to be set to "Bitstream" audio output. The same setting will give you the HD audio, if your receiver can decode the HD audio formats. If it can't decode them, but still gives audio over HDMI, you should be able to set the ps3 to decode the formats internally, and send the signal out as PCM or LPCM, to the receiver, and hear the HD audio that way.

I don't have a BD player yet, so I'm going from memory of what I've read.

You didn't mention connecting audio on the PS3 (coax). Did you do that? Where is the coaxial cable running from/to?

You didn't mention connecting audio on the PS3 (coax). Did you do that? Where is the coaxial cable running from/to?
He should get the audio over the HDMI, unless the receiver is HDMI "pass through" only.

nicmartim.........
Did you get the problem resolved? If so, how?

Whats the coax connected to?The tv audio out? The last i checked the ps3 has an optical audio out.Dolby 5.1 does not pass thru the hdmi in pcm format.Just connect an optical between the ps3 and receiver and be done with it.Dont forget to turn on the optical out in the ps3 menu.

I have just recently purchased a PS3 and replaced my older Sony up-converting (HDMI) DVD player. I simply unplugged the HDMI cable from the back of the DVD player and plugged it into the PS3. Well, long story short, there is now no 5.1 surround whereas there was w/ the DVD player. The HDMI is plugged directly into my Sanyo 42" LCD and coaxial into my Sony receiver w/ Dolby and DTS capabilities. I have checked every option in the PS3 and made NO changes to the receiver or TV. I currently DO get 5.1 from the TV via the Vip722 through that very same coaxial cable and receiver. Any suggestions on how to get the most out of the Blu-Ray and 5.1? Thanks in advance

I am fairly certain you will need to go in to your PS3 settings under audio and see what you need to change it too there.

And a thread that is almost 2 years old? Don't you think the problem is solved by now?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)