PS3 gets DTSMasterHD decoding April 15!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
It also shows Bitstream as an option on the HDMI audio set up. When I change it to Bitstream it then lets the 705 do the work. Instead of multichannel on the 705 display, it shows what ever the audio track is selected from the DVD.

Really, does it show PCM and DolbyTrueHD? I have an 805 and has not done that -- I will try it when I get home.

It does NOT bitstream any of the advanced codecs because of a hardware limitation. However the PS3 will bitstream the lossey audio formats via optical or HDMI.

Could someone simplify for me? I just want to know - will this give me 7 channel surround using the optical port now?

I have a 7 channel receiver that doesn't do audio by HDMI, and it is still very new, so I don't want to replace it.

I have an 805 & I love it. It does put out some heat, though. I have it in the open on top of my stack. Had to put loops of blue tape, sticky side out, on top of it to keep the cats from sleeping there!

Sorry to get your hopes up. It was a DD or a DTS track. How do you like your 805 by the way?

Best receiver I have ever had. I am still getting use to it upconverting hdmi to 1080. I think that there is a submenu to turn it off but I have not tried that yet.

Only concern is that the 805 has some very big amps and also does bi-amping and it creates alot of heat. I am trying to figure a way to remove the heat quitely from my stack.

Could someone simplify for me? I just want to know - will this give me 7 channel surround using the optical port now?

I have a 7 channel receiver that doesn't do audio by HDMI, and it is still very new, so I don't want to replace it.

No, you can only get 5.1 thru the optical port. In order for you to get 7.1 from the PS3 you must use the HDMI port.

No, you can only get 5.1 thru the optical port. In order for you to get 7.1 from the PS3 you must use the HDMI port.

You can get 6.1, however, via optical. I've watched a number of BD and DVD movies that streamed DTS-ES and Dolby Digital EX tracks to my receiver via the optical connection.

Darn, I was hoping that is what this update is all about.

My Onkyo receiver has HDMI, but it is just passthrough. Audio has to come in via component or coax. Oh well, still sounds great with 5 channels and the receiver doing the other two on it's own.

You can get 6.1, however, via optical. I've watched a number of BD and DVD movies that streamed DTS-ES and Dolby Digital EX tracks to my receiver via the optical connection.

I thought the PS3 was limited to 5.1 thru the optical?

I thought the PS3 was limited to 5.1 thru the optical?

6.1 works with bitstream. The extra back channel is actually matrixed in the 5.1 signal for DD EX and DTS ES.

I don't think the PS3 detects these and I don't think it works if you use LPCM only if you use Bitstream. And of course your receiver needs to support them.

Okay I have both the PS3 and Sony S300. I have the Onkyo 605 as well will there be any significant difference if I have the HDMI audio going to the PS3 because I only use S300 for Blu Ray and PS3 for games, my question is what am I going to notice with the audio, I think the audio for the S300 is clear and loud.

Only concern is that the 805 has some very big amps and also does bi-amping and it creates alot of heat. I am trying to figure a way to remove the heat quitely from my stack.

All the Onkyo's are hot boxes. However, they are wonderfully priced and feature rich.

Master, do you have a TX-SR505 or 575?

The most economical receiver choice for a PS3 if you only need 5.1/6.1 would be a Sony STR-DG710. The STR-DG910 would fit the bill if you need 7.1. However, at the 910's price point, you might want to look at the Onkyo TX-SR604/605 or some of the Yamaha's and Marantz's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)