PS3 gets DTSMasterHD decoding April 15!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I guess I have no more excuses for waiting to buy that Onkyo 705. I'm also looking forward to seeing the redesigned store. Maybe i'll actually buy something, assuming it's hacker safe now.

This has really got me considering a PS3 as a second player.

Is it correct that it will only internally decode all sound formats?

Does it output 7.1?

The PS3 will not bitstream. It will now internally decode all audio codecs and send them as multichannel PCM to the receiver. This will include 7.1.

S~

I keep hearing about DTS MA, this is not an anti BD post but I’m just curious what advantages it has over TrueHD or uncompressed. From what I gather TrueHD comes out identical to uncompressed and uncompressed is supposed to be source material. Everyone is screaming like it’s the greatest thing ever. Will J6P be able to tell the difference?

PS. Out of all the TrueHD I’ve heard plain ole DD+ on Transformers is by far the best audio I’ve heard in my life

I keep hearing about DTS MA, this is not an anti BD post but I’m just curious what advantages it has over TrueHD or uncompressed. From what I gather TrueHD comes out identical to uncompressed and uncompressed is supposed to be source material. Everyone is screaming like it’s the greatest thing ever. Will J6P be able to tell the difference?

PS. Out of all the TrueHD I’ve heard plain ole DD+ on Transformers is by far the best audio I’ve heard in my life

Im actually with you on this one. Im very happy with my Sony rcvr and just the plain ol HDM sound quality. This keeps me from upgrading to a truehd/master rcvr.

The main deal here is that certain movies have TrueHD and others have DTS MA. Very few (none?) have both. So if you want to be able to get lossless audio from all discs then you need a player/receiver that will decode both.

The PS3 will not bitstream. It will now internally decode all audio codecs and send them as multichannel PCM to the receiver. This will include 7.1.

S~

Ok. The PS3 wil not Bitstream. So why is the option there in the BD/DVD Audio Output Format? Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm not douting you people that say it doesn't. I'm just trying to figure out why the option is there.

DTS-HD MA allows slightly higher (as decoded) uncompressed streams at least on Blu-ray.

For equivalent high quality source materail DD+ does not match DD TrueHD.

The best I have heard was some Demo DTS-HD MA (blu-ray), but of course thats why they included it on the Demo. For movies we are of course limited to what quality audio they decided to save and include in the media.

DTS (CORE) is up to 1.5 Mbps and DD+ at least 3.0 Mbps(max 6.0) on HD-DVD but 1.7 Mbps on blu-ray (why lower?) sound way better than the old DD (480 Mpbs) on DVD. DTS-HD is 3.0 Mbps on HD-DVD but 6.0 Mbps on blu-ray (why higher?). DD True-HD is up to 18 Mbps. DTS-HD MA is up to 18 Mbps on HD DVD and 24.5 on Blu-ray (why higher?).

Not sure what the max uncompressed PCM is on Blu-ray. Uncompressed PCM, DTS-HD MA, or Dolby TrueHD are now common on Blu-Ray.

Does it not have the option to set it to Bitstream? I would check but I'm at work.

Yes it does but apparently that is only for the optical output which would only support lossey codecs upto 5.1 channels only. You would need to pass LPCM thru the hdmi on the PS3 in order for you to get all the lossless channels avaible under the selected codec which on the PS3 now includes all three, PCM, DolbyTrueHD and DTS-MasterHD.

Yes it does but apparently that is only for the optical output which would only support lossey codecs upto 5.1 channels only. You would need to pass LPCM thru the hdmi on the PS3 in order for you to get all the lossless channels avaible under the selected codec which on the PS3 now includes all three, PCM, DolbyTrueHD and DTS-MasterHD.

It also shows Bitstream as an option on the HDMI audio set up. When I change it to Bitstream it then lets the 705 do the work. Instead of multichannel on the 705 display, it shows what ever the audio track is selected from the DVD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)