PS3 Hard Drive Upgrade

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Heavie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 20, 2004
Maryland
Well for the extra $100, that would have been the difference between a 20gig to a 60gig. I brought a FUJITSU 120GB 5400RPM 2.5 SATA Hard drive for $95. $103 with shipment cost. I just got it from fedex about 15 minutes ago. It took 10 minutes to install and format the new hard drive. I am up and running with a 120gig ---20gig ps3. I guess, I made out better because I had a 60gig ps3 preorder and at launch day, I had to settle for 20gig. Odd is the ps3 recognized the hard drive as a 111gig and after format 97gig free space. Another thing is odd is the website I got the hard drive from, is now selling the same hard drive for a $148. In a matter of two weeks. Now 2.5 sata hard drive's prices is going to sky rocket.

Well for the extra $100, that would have been the difference between a 20gig to a 60gig. I brought a FUJITSU 120GB 5400RPM 2.5 SATA Hard drive for $95. $103 with shipment cost. I just got it from fedex about 15 minutes ago. It took 10 minutes to install and format the new hard drive. I am up and running with a 120gig ---20gig ps3. I guess, I made out better because I had a 60gig ps3 preorder and at launch day, I had to settle for 20gig. Odd is the ps3 recognized the hard drive as a 111gig and after format 97gig free space. Another thing is odd is the website I got the hard drive from, is now selling the same hard drive for a $148. In a matter of two weeks. Now 2.5 sata hard drive's prices is going to sky rocket.

Like a PC it uses a certain percentage of your HDD for the OS and the backup(it's 10% now if I'm not worng), if you had linux installed I think you can enter it and change it to 5% or less to free up more HDD space.

Yes, there are setting in the ps3 operating system, that will allow you to partion the hard drive for other operating system and the amount space for ps3 software and save space.

[
Does it have to be a 5400rpm or will a faster one work?

If you go to this link: http://translate.google.com/transla...atch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20061111/hdd.htm

You'll see these guys installled a 7200rpm drive. It also read, there was not much of a performance difference and maybe a chance of a higher rpm heat issue.

I'm not going to take that kind of chance. I don't mean to sound scared. I took out a 20gig 5400rpm. I figured I can't go wrong. Second, I was lucky to find a 120gig for $95 dollars. I price the 5400rmp and the 7200rpm and those little mutha are expensive as hell. Buy a $200-300 dollar hard drive and it cause me to burn up a $500 ps3 and there are a random supplies. I can't replace it to next year. Shiiittttttttttttttttttt, hell nooo.

[

If you go to this link: http://translate.google.com/transla...atch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20061111/hdd.htm

You'll see these guys installled a 7200rpm drive. It also read, there was not much of a performance difference and maybe a chance of a higher rpm heat issue.

I'm not going to take that kind of chance. I don't mean to sound scared. I took out a 20gig 5400rpm. I figured I can't go wrong. Second, I was lucky to find a 120gig for $95 dollars. I price the 5400rmp and the 7200rpm and those little mutha are expensive as hell. Buy a $200-300 dollar hard drive and it cause me to burn up a $500 ps3 and there are a random supplies. I can't replace it to next year. Shiiittttttttttttttttttt, hell nooo.

Roger that... I just wondered because I think I rembered that you could put just about anything in the old ps2's ... even though they didnt do much good unless u switched back and forth from ur pc.

In one of the reviews on swaping out hard drives the reviewer acutally stated that a bigger cache in the hard drive would speed things up more then a faster spin speed.

just upgraded mine too
i put in a 160 GB WD SCORPIO 2.5 inch HD HARDDRIVE SATA SERIAL ATA
WDC HD Western Digital WD1600BEVS 8mbCACHE 5400RPM OEM
so under my ps3 system info screen hdd reads 130/149
so i was able to upgrade 60gb to 130gb after formatting in ps3

Last edited:
images--i-NUM-HDX--t-h.html
just upgraded mine too
i put in a 160 GB WD SCORPIO 2.5 inch HD HARDDRIVE SATA SERIAL ATA
WDC HD Western Digital WD1600BEVS 8mbCACHE 5400RPM OEM
so under my ps3 system info screen hdd reads 130/149
soi was able to upgrade 60gb to 130gb after formatting in ps3

How much did you pay for the hard drive? I was planning on upgrading the 80gig hard drive in my numark HDX to a 160gig.

Here is the link to the Numark HDX

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-NUM-HDX.html#

p36818h-05a66e9c35e7f6d22e814d88ed11a718.jpg

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts