PS3 HDD Crashed

stimpson

Miller Lite Tester
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Benton, Arkansas
The boy went to play some R2 last night. I was in the shop changing the brakes on my truck and he came out and said the PS3 wouldn't respond. I thought "OK, whats he done to it now"? I played it earlier, and put it on Life with Playstation when I was done. Started messing with it and sure enough, nothing. When I hit the PS button on the remote, the lights on the remote would start flashing and that was it. No respone from the machine. Turned it off in the back, and tried rebooting. The fan would start to run then go quiet, it would go the the "Home screen" , but would have no XMB, and the HDD light was steady on, but with no signs of life. Was finally able to get it to the "Safe Mode" and ran all the options there. Was able to get it to boot up all the way, but after a few minutes would not respond at all. Was going to back it it up before I tried a restore, but it wouldn't last long enough. Don't remember the last time I backed it up. I know it's been a while. I'm sure I have lost all my Ratchet and Clank, along with Uncharted 2. Did a complete restore. No help. Check over at the PS3 site, and read the boards there, and confirmed that it is definately the HDD. Off to Best Buy today to get a new HDD. From now on I putting an alarm on my iPhone to back up the PS3 every week. Live and learn.:(

I'm so anal with my 2-plus-year-old 40GB PS3, I just starting keeping a thumb drive plugged into one of my precious two USB ports (when not actively using them for other accessories) to do a game save back up after every time I play something. Unfortunately that doesn't help with copy protected saves so I'll still need to do a full system back up from time to time.

Picked up a WD 250 Gig at BB for 65 bucks. Got it installed and all is well minus having to do R&C A Crack In Time and Uncharted 2 from scratch. Oh well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)