PS3 in trouble

I'm not sure we're going to see more PS3 SKUs before holiday... they've just introduced the new bare bones $399 80gb, and the Uncharted (+ Pain) 160gb SKU is coming November 30th with the larger drive for $499. For the first time no models with BC, card readers, etc. I think we'll probably see another price cut, but odd to see the Uncharted bundle announced so far out at such a high price, so makes me think otherwise despite analysts begging for it - Analyst Urges Sony to Cut PS3 Prices - Shacknews - PC Games, PlayStation, Xbox 360 and Wii video game news, previews and downloads

Looks like Microsoft is tossing out some holiday bundles again but games aren't nearly as good as Forza and Ultimate alliance. They're bundling Sega Tennis in the Arcade and the Pro and Elite will have Lego Indy and Kung-Fu Panda.

I am planning on jumping in and moving on from the PS2 to PS3....Hopeing after turkey day they have some nice promos, I think last year it included a game and movie....I guess wait and see (or untill the black friday ads get released)

I haven't found a lot of games I want to play yet (Bioshock on the 21st!), but the Blue-Ray movies I've watched have been beautiful, not to mention the sound on Dolby True HD. Hope you find the deal you're looking for.

Unfortunately, there is a perception that in order for MY system of choice to flourish, YOUR'S must wither on the vine.

I agree that this is the general sentiment of the general fanboy mindset, but this has been bolsterd untold times by Sony's gaffes in the media. It's nice that they finally appear to have muzzled their executives and are finally just letting their actions/games speak for themselves. Unfortunately that doesn't always work either when you make it so your game console can play fewer games despite saying that was a core component of the brand. I had no disdain for Sony prior to this generation, they've grown and reinforced it within me with all of their missteps in addition to the dirty HDDVD/BD format war.

I was forced to buy a PS3 earlier than I wanted because the product I wanted was being phased out (come with a game, not a movie, and be able to play PS2 games).

To add insult to injury, Motorstorm, Warhawk, MGS4 were all bitter disappointments for me and reasons I won't buy another PS3 game without playing it via demo or renting.

Unfortunately, there is a perception that in order for MY system of choice to flourish, YOUR'S must wither on the vine.

The fact of the matter is that all three are doing quite nicely.

The Wii is expanding the market, and bringing new gamers in. Meanwhile, the top 10 lists tend to be dominated by 360/PS3 titles other than the WiiPlay (aka, extra controller), Mario Titles, etc....

I hated Sony because they were trying to kill HD DVD, a format I preferred (my Dad misses borrowing discs form me... the combo discs could be watched by him on his standard player, .. my BluRays can't), and they had a rep for using exclusivity as a club to get you to embrace their product.

The good news is that exclusivity is being reduced. All the big titles are available on multiple systems (PS3 fanboys get BioShock soon, etc...), so it is becoming less of an issue.....

Plenty of fun to go around.....

I was disappointed to see them throw in the towel, competition is a good thing, but I do think both may have died if they hadn't. I also didn't like the idea of having to own both so that I could see all the movies I would have wanted to view.

To add insult to injury, Motorstorm, Warhawk, MGS4 were all bitter disappointments for me and reasons I won't buy another PS3 game without playing it via demo or renting.
MGS4 was a disappointment? I found it to be great. Of course you could say it had lofty expectations, and in the beginning I was a little put off by it, but once I got used to the new control and gameplay scheme I enjoyed it much more. I ended up playing the old MGS1 again at the same time as MGS4, and it is cool to see how far the series has come.

Ya, it's just not for me. I am not real high on the franchise (though I remember at one point in college talking to a friend and saying Zelda was all the reason needed to get a N64, and MGS was all the reason needed to get a PSX) and as a result went into the game expecting GRAW-like controls and a game, not a movie :)

I appreciate it for the game that it is... it is certainly near and dear to many people's hearts, but it's just not for me. It was an impulse buy on release day that I only regret for the fact that it is not a game for me, not because the game is trash (i know it's not).

Warhawk is on that list because i was hoping to recreate some fond Tribes memories. Instead I got a game that forced you to learn it on the fly while people kill you. Thanks for that novel idea. They've since introduced trophies and offline tutorials (just weeks ago) so there is room for redemption that I haven't gotten around to trying.

Motorstorm is just a shallow race game. It's about as shallow as any arcade racer. I don't mean arcade racer as in 'ooh this is fun, wee' i mean as in one you pump in a couple quarters have you fun and move on. That works in an arcade, not on a console. It comes across as a game that is unfinished given the lack of depth.

Warhawk is on that list because i was hoping to recreate some fond Tribes memories. Instead I got a game that forced you to learn it on the fly while people kill you. Thanks for that novel idea. They've since introduced trophies and offline tutorials (just weeks ago)

Yeap I feel you pain, actually I traded-in that game to get MGS4, a game that I haven't finished yet. The problem with this game for me is that I get bored, actually I like the game but the pace is too slow. Online play is good FWIW..

Now THAT makes sense..... Digital copy is OK, but I need a standard def DVD for the DVD player in the SUV, and the two DVD players in my kids rooms....

If this were to become a standard for kids movies like Disney fare, I would start buying the BluRay discs for those.... As it is right now, I can only watch them on my main screeen, so I'm sticking to buying plain vanilla DVDs for kids movies... I'll make an exception for Sleeping Beauty.

Now THAT makes sense..... Digital copy is OK, but I need a standard def DVD for the DVD player in the SUV, and the two DVD players in my kids rooms....

If this were to become a standard for kids movies like Disney fare, I would start buying the BluRay discs for those.... As it is right now, I can only watch them on my main screeen, so I'm sticking to buying plain vanilla DVDs for kids movies... I'll make an exception for Sleeping Beauty.

I went out and bought my wife Sleeping Beauty on Bluray, because I knew it had the DVD, I want to support this behavior as I would love ot see this happen.....I would love to see ONE blu ray instead of two (what a waste of money) and in that second slot put the dvd so I can watch it in my bedroom if I want.

I went out and bought my wife Sleeping Beauty on Bluray, because I knew it had the DVD, I want to support this behavior as I would love ot see this happen.....I would love to see ONE blu ray instead of two (what a waste of money) and in that second slot put the dvd so I can watch it in my bedroom if I want.

Im just afraid they'll take it a step further and go double sided (BD/DVD)... which I'd hate to see done.

IIRC, they demonstrated the capability early on, but no one decided to pursue. Probably a costs issue. Maybe a competition concern, too- don't help DVD hang on.

IIRC, they demonstrated the capability early on, but no one decided to pursue. Probably a costs issue. Maybe a competition concern, too- don't help DVD hang on.
Probably just easier in general to just do double discs (1 DVD, 1 BD) instead of a dual disc. Last thing you want to deal with is an angry young mother yelling at whoever who will listen how the hybrid disc won't run in her 5+ year old DVD player and how angry her kids are.

My kids wanted to watch Iron
Man. Long Wait for the BR version on Netflix. Got the dvd version from Redbox. PS3 did a good job upconverting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)