PS3 in trouble

Again. I can name at least 10 people here at work that had a 360 RROD . I can't find one unhappy PS3 owner. In fact , most of the gamers here gave up on the 360 over a year ago and moved to the PS3.

And if they were avid gamers they'd just own both... clearly this isn't the case, and like I said they are the aberration. RROD is a month-long setback, reduced to as little as a week at this point.

There are fantastic games available for both, and exclusive to both, but the library is clearly much stronger for the 360. If they didn't have friends who also had PS3s they'd likely be right back into the 360 camp, as that's been the stronger argument in any console battle this gen with such strong emphasis on online, is what do more of your friends have. Unfortunately for me, most/all my friends started on 360 and Sony hasn't offered enough to persuade them to try their console as well, which would justify my PS3 purchase a bit more. Thankfully I got in before they made the console play less games, and am able to start playing through all the nice PS2 games I missed while I wait for better PS3 ones.

And if they were avid gamers they'd just own both... clearly this isn't the case, and like I said they are the aberration. RROD is a month-long setback, reduced to as little as a week at this point.

There are fantastic games available for both, and exclusive to both, but the library is clearly much stronger for the 360. If they didn't have friends who also had PS3s they'd likely be right back into the 360 camp, as that's been the stronger argument in any console battle this gen with such strong emphasis on online, is what do more of your friends have. Unfortunately for me, most/all my friends started on 360 and Sony hasn't offered enough to persuade them to try their console as well, which would justify my PS3 purchase a bit more. Thankfully I got in before they made the console play less games, and am able to start playing through all the nice PS2 games I missed while I wait for better PS3 ones.

I agree that the 360 has more games but what good is that if the the system won't work? You do know that people are still having problems with the 360 don't you?

Yes, those people with launch units that 'omg have worked since launch' are still failing, in addition to the failures that all electronic devices have. To imply that it's as bad as it was a year ago is to ignore the facts to suit your argument. If you really want to go down that road, just read the other active threads in this forum because it's not worth copying/pasting them over into this one.

If it was still having the problems fanboys insist it does, a lawsuit would have been filed some time ago.

Why do we continue to talk about gaming in these forums. There is not, nor will there be, a gaming system in my house.

Truth be told, both are in trouble and Wii is kicking both their butts combined and will continue to throughout the holiday season.

It seems there are versions of the PS3 that are not backwards compatable, either. Those that are are not 100% compatable.

Take it to the gaming forum.

S~

FYI...there was a Wii injury in the emergency department this week...one of my patients ... an elderly lady was playing the Wii bowling...she stumbled and fell onto a table and broke her rib...so that alone puts the ps3 ahead of the wii! :) true story by the way

I have a family of five and the XBOX 360 has games for every type of gamer. My wife and I love the Xbox arcade while my kids ply the newer games. It has something for everyone. Blu-Ray is something that is too expensive right now for middle class families to get involved in. With all of the HD being provided right now by sat and Fios and cable companies, I simply don't need a Blu player right now. I believe that the PS3 is a better overall machine but most families simply can't afford to buy the PS3 now when they already have an XBOX 360 and a Wii. Most families refuse to buy into a third system when they already have the other 2. What I am trying to say is that a combination of price and lack of any "need" to have a PS3 hurts it big time.

I have both systems and days go by and I'm not even powering up my PS3. I wanted a BD with Dolby True HD and DTS-HD capabilities, well the PS3 was the best deal for me buy. As far as online playing the Ps3 Network is not even close to Xbox Live. I have to pay $50 a year for it, and I'm planning to continue.
To defend the PS3 well Metal Gear Solid is a great game, Resistance Fall of man is another, but I think is pointless to continue this argument of which console is better or which console is in trouble etc. I had my share of RCOD, 8 to be exact but as long as M$ will cover the costs I can deal with. Why? because I have a ton of fun using the X360. My last RCOD was June 07.
Consoles in ly house 2-X360(Elite-Premuim-my son's), Ps3 and a Wii(my daughter's).

So everyone is going to defend his "purchase preference" or the system bought. I hope that both systems stay alive for a long time because competition is great for consumers..

BD and other capabilities not withstanding, as a new casual gamer, I was drawn to PS3 partly due to the 360's RROD reputation/history (even if it is indeed fixed), and because of the Wii's lack of availability: life is too short to stand in line at 7am on a Sunday morning at Target for a shot at one. Again, even if that's no longer the case, just from what I've seen and heard, it was enough to keep me away. PS3, no problem picking one up at any store I would regularly go to.

Regarding the lack of games: being new and casual, I'm probably only going to be able to get into a half dozen per year any way...assuming they're good enough to replay, but I would only buy the best rated/reviewed or that I demoed for that reason.

I'd like a ps3 its just that I cant aford it unless I get one from the pawn shop and the case is all scratched up and its missing all the cords and controllers and only then can I aford it.

I'd like a ps3 its just that I cant aford it unless I get one from the pawn shop and the case is all scratched up and its missing all the cords and controllers and only then can I aford it.
You can find full packages on eBay for under $200 that have all that stuff. I mean if you can't scrape together $200, you have bigger issues at hand.

And if you can't afford $200, then you certainly can't afford $60 a pop for a game...but it's all a matter of priorities (and how willing you are to run up your credit cards ;))

Paying off a bunch of medical bills right now and getting other debt paid down so thats where my priorities are at. The only ps3's Ive seen selling for $200 or less on ebay were either newly listed or broken units that people are pulling the lasers out of to make laser pointers with.

Paying off a bunch of medical bills right now and getting other debt paid down so thats where my priorities are at. The only ps3's Ive seen selling for $200 or less on ebay were either newly listed or broken units that people are pulling the lasers out of to make laser pointers with.
Yeah the medical bills may be a higher priority, although you can use your PS3 to help do medical research.

Yea our splurge levels are relatively small, we have directv with hd in the house and ofcourse internet and go out to eat twice a month so thats our splurges. If things work out with the coming move next spring then next winter I should have a ps3 planted in the livingroom.

Yea our splurge levels are relatively small, we have directv with hd in the house and ofcourse internet and go out to eat twice a month so thats our splurges. If things work out with the coming move next spring then next winter I should have a ps3 planted in the livingroom.
Sounds like my family exactly, except we're with E*. If our Jeep Liberty (P.O.S.!!) check engine light will ever stop coming on 4 times a month (it seems), I may be able to get one with our stolen money...I mean, tax returns.

I have both a 360 and a PS3. I keep one in the living room and one in the bedroom that I share with my wife.

I have found the games library to be much superior on the 360. I will generally buy multi-platform games on the 360, unless they are M rated, in which case I buy PS3 versions, so that I can play them in the confines of my bedroom and my 5 yr old girls won't see or hear them.

I did have the RROD issue about 1 1/2 years after I bought the 360, right after they annouced the extended 3 yr warranty. It took about 3 weeks to get it fixed and has been fine ever since. It is my understanding that they are now selling the 3rd version of the hardware, and that the RROD issue was fixed with the 2nd version, which I think came out around spring/summer 2007.

I have found the operations and menu of the 360 to be INCREDIBLY SUPERIOR to the PS3. I constantly find myself aggravated when trying to update games or download demos on the PS3. Not to mention the menu system & store look horrible in my opinion. I don't understand why when you finish a task on the PS3, it just doesn't forward itself back to a menu and forces you to hit 'back' numerous times to get back to the menu or game. And why does it take so long to install any updates or demos, there seems to be almost no wait time on the 360. I can't tell you how many times I have thrown the controller down on the bed and said that I hate this f**king machine to my wife.

As for Blue-ray, I really don't see a huge difference between BR and my upscaling DVD player and even worse the expensive BR discs don't play in regular DVD players. Most of our DVD purchases are movies for my kids. We purchased Enchanted on DVD and then realized that we can only watch in our bedroom. So we have never purchased another BR disc and won't until they start including a regular DVD version or double siding them like HDD were (one side HDD one side DVD).

Overall, I can't see how anybody who has experienced both machines would choose a PS3 over a 360.

I have both a 360 and a PS3. I keep one in the living room and one in the bedroom that I share with my wife.

Overall, I can't see how anybody who has experienced both machines would choose a PS3 over a 360.

Well I'm by no means a fanboy (I own all 3 systems) but here's a few things I could think of:

Free online multiplayer
Built-in wireless networking
Decent level Blu Ray Player
Controller Preference
Many of the same games as 360
Upgradeable HD that is not proprietary
Playstation Home (Eventually)
Bluetooth compatible
Ability to contribute to medical research
PS1/PS2 compatibility (On a few models)
Built in Web Browser
Access to games from Sony Computer Entertainment
Completely customizable interface

It all comes down to preference, but it is definitely understandable why an educated gamer would prefer a PS3 over a 360.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)