PS3 or LG BD390?

dont24

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 20, 2004
MA
So this damn Dish equipment fee increase has me thinking about dropping from AEP to Top 250. My 1080p set was purchased with a PS3. Was one of those had to haves, back in 2008. Since I have AEP , PS3 never got much use. Tried a couple of games and maybe 1 Bluray movie a week. Sold it ~1 month ago. Now I'm looking to drop AEP and go back to Netflix. The BD390 and PS3 are both at the $299 price point. I know at one time the PS3 was the best BR player available. That still the case? BD390 looks pretty sweet. I have no desire to game on a PS3. Kids and I have 360s and a Wii for that. Stand alone BR players a good choice these days over the PS3? BTW, I should also mention I need something with a wifi connection.

Last edited:
There are a lot of other good quality BD players on the market now that do Netflix and more and actual user reviews of the LG390 haven't been as kind as Cnet's, so I would suggest doing some homework and considering all your options. If I didn't have a PS3, BD player, and Roku already, I would be taking a closer look at the new Sony N460 for <$200:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDP-N460-Blu-ray-Player-Black/dp/B002PHM0XQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1265058548&sr=8-2"]Amazon.com: Sony BDP-N460 Blu-ray Disc Player (Black): Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/219XJcNnc-L.@@AMEPARAM@@219XJcNnc-L[/ame]

There are a lot of other good quality BD players on the market now that do Netflix and more and actual user reviews of the LG390 haven't been as kind as Cnet's, so I would suggest doing some homework and considering all your options. If I didn't have a PS3, BD player, and Roku already, I would be taking a closer look at the new Sony N460 for <$200:
Amazon.com: Sony BDP-N460 Blu-ray Disc Player (Black): Electronics

I looked at that one, but it's doesn't have built-in wireless. I'd have to purchase a "dongle".

Go with the PS3. It is the best machine out there in my opinion.

Personally, I'd go with the PS3 because it can be used for other things, but for me that mostly means games.

If you're absolutely sure you'll never want to play a PS3 game (Uncharted, Metal Gear, Ratchet and Clank?), I'd recommend going with a good stand-alone player, just because the PS3 is a little harder to work with IMO. It's not universal remote friendly - at least not out of the box - you have to be more concerned with where it is in your entertainment center to make sure it gets enough air, you may or may not have fan noise that would disturb quiet scenes in movies (I don't have one of the new models, so I can't speak with authority on this, and it also depends on your setup), etc.

A year or two ago I'd say it was worth the extra hassle because the PS3 was the best player out there, but I think stand-alones are getting good enough now that you can and should go with one if your only interest is movies.

Personally, I'd go with the PS3 because it can be used for other things, but for me that mostly means games.

If you're absolutely sure you'll never want to play a PS3 game (Uncharted, Metal Gear, Ratchet and Clank

...Killzone 2, inFamous, LittleBigPlanet, MLB The Show, Heavy Rain, and that God of War thingy). But I agree, I'd almost rather have a separate dedicated blu-ray player at this point in my living room for BD playback, DVD upconverting, Netflix streaming due to fan noise, to save wear and tear on the PS3, and to use my universal remote.

...Killzone 2, inFamous, LittleBigPlanet, MLB The Show, Heavy Rain, and that God of War thingy). But I agree, I'd almost rather have a dedicated blu-ray player at this point for BD playback, DVD upconverting, Netflix streaming due to fan noise, to save wear and tear, and to use my universal remote.

Same here. I'm leaning towards a standalone, if I decide to drop AEP. I've also been itching for an Apple TV for music, photo, and movie streaming. I know the PS3 does everything, but I didn't really care for the interface.

Last edited:
...Killzone 2, inFamous, LittleBigPlanet, MLB The Show, Heavy Rain, and that God of War thingy). But I agree, I'd almost rather have a separate dedicated blu-ray player at this point in my living room for BD playback, DVD upconverting, Netflix streaming due to fan noise, to save wear and tear on the PS3, and to use my universal remote.

Yeah, I've almost decided to go that way a couple of times, but I still have my HD-A2 that I use for DVD's, so the PS3 is only used for games and Blu-Rays at this point, and I have gotten the PS3 to work with my Logitech Harmony One via an adapter, so I'm ok for now. It won't be long, though, that I'll dump the A2 (I only have a few HD-DVD's left in favor of a stand-alone BD player.

The PS3 still works great and the fan noise is not an issue for me - I just don't want to shorten my PS3's lifespan by using it for anything other than games if I can help it.

The more I think about it, why do I need a network connection at all? When I had my PS3, I used BDLive once. I just wanted to watch the movie. What about firmware updates? What's the chance that a player I buy will need a firmware update? Was looking around. No network means a very good player drops to ~$120.

** If an Admin feels this topic should be in the BR section, please move it. Thanks **

The more I think about it, why do I need a network connection at all? When I had my PS3, I used BDLive once. I just wanted to watch the movie. What about firmware updates? What's the chance that a player I buy will need a firmware update? Was looking around. No network means a very good player drops to ~$120.

** If an Admin feels this topic should be in the BR section, please move it. Thanks **

You are fine in here.

Most BR players need firmware updates often as well as the titles themselves might have updates too.

You are fine in here.

Most BR players need firmware updates often as well as the titles themselves might have updates too.

That's true. Did some more looking around. I think I've settled on the Panasonic DB60. $123 at Amazon. I can always run a network cable across the floor, which I need a firmware update. So it's adios Dish AEP. Hello Netflix.

Already have a PS3, so when the DVD player in the family room crapped out, I replaced it with the Samsung stand alone (don't really need to spend another $160 extra on another PS3). Since it and the PS3 do netflix, I haven't needed any movie channels. When they finally take away my penny cinemax I won't shed a tear.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts