PS3 Sales getting worse

Bruce

Bender and Chloe, the real Members of the Year
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
These are the US sales numbers, the PS3 had dropped almost 30% from April to May

Here are real numbers from VGChartz for the 4 weeks of May 7 to June 3, hardware sales data totals

Wii-397,313
Xbox 360-236,621
PS2-226,976
PS3-73,436

Here is the previous month from VGChartz-

Monthly Summary April 8- May 6

Wii –324,000
360 – 196,000
PS3 – 108,000

This is what VGChartz says about these figures-

Side note: As a general rule 200k-300k is the typical expectation for hardware that is reasonably priced in a non-holiday/huge game 4 week month just for the USA. You can add upto 10% for Canada, but generally when hardware sells bad in the USA, the % drops alot from the 10% in Canada. Sales in 150k to 200k range per month are decent in the USA, 100-150k are bad, 50-100k is terrible, under 50k usually indicates a dying or failed console. Anything over 300k in a normal month is good, while over 400k just in the USA is nearly unheard of in non-holiday months.

Just goes to show how America has adopted a "Wal-Mart mentality" of buying cheap disposable crap, and not necessarily the best product offering the best value for the money. The Wii is an overpriced garbage IMO, but I guess that's why these chattel buy Toyota's and Kia's - pay a few bucks less, throw it away in 4 years, and buy more cheap crap.:(

Good luck running Linux on a Wii...

Best money my wife ever spent was on her Kia... laugh at that little car all you want. We are the ones laughing at you at the pump since it has way better gas mileage than what you probably got.

Besides all of that, they overpriced the ps3 when they first released it. It's probably a good thing that sales are down. Maybe it'll force them to drop prices a bit.

I don't see the Wii as overpriced. In fact, sometimes I wonder if Nintendo is underpricing it.

The PS3 is way overpriced. That's the number one gripe of people I know when the subject of the PS3 is brought up.

Funny, best money I ever spent was on a Toyota.

Best money I ever spent was on a KIA Optima, I put 35,000 miles a year and the thing has over 86,000 on it now. All I've ever done to it is put brakes and tires on it. Not one problem.

I would buy another one.

Just goes to show how America has adopted a "Wal-Mart mentality" of buying cheap disposable crap, and not necessarily the best product offering the best value for the money. The Wii is an overpriced garbage IMO, but I guess that's why these chattel buy Toyota's and Kia's - pay a few bucks less, throw it away in 4 years, and buy more cheap crap.:(

Good luck running Linux on a Wii?!? Why would anyone want to do that? Seriously, who buys a game console to run Linux? That's why I have a computer. With all the power the PS3 has, its ability to run Linux really doesn't make sense, seeing as you can easily buy a decent PC to do that for the same price. The PS3 will succeed or fail as a game console. With BR-DVD players falling in price, and the 20GB model off the market, the value of the PS3 as a cheap BR-DVD player is starting to fade, and the importance of it as a game system has increased. People look at their 3 choices, and in the PS3, so far, it is way too expense for what it is primarily intended to do. Without many compelling games, few people are willing to spend $600 on a game system, no matter how nice the hardware is. The Wii, on the other hand, makes a lot of sense, especially to the vast majority of the world (i.e. those who could give a rip about folding at home or running Linux on a game console). It is reasonably priced, loads of fun, and actually has a few games worth playing. Heck, look at the PS2. It is still selling well. Why? Because of price and availability of tons of great games. Wal-Mart mentality has nothing to do with it. And Toyota cars/trucks are not "cheap", just ask anyone making payments on a Land Cruiser :) Kia and Hyundai cars aren't the crap wagons they used to be, they now make a really solid car. It is more a matter of spending your money wisely, rather than ignorantly throwing it at the most expensive option. If I wanted a cheap system, I'd get one of those $30 Atari clones with built-in games. Heck, the PS2 is a "cheaper" option than the Wii. I wanted a game system that is:
a) fun
b) easy to enjoy with others, including the wife and kids
c) doesn't cost $600
d) is quiet and doesn't take up a lot of space in the A/V rack
e) has fun games
f) Etc...

Seriously, its no wonder the Wii is selling like crazy. It has succeeded in expanding the market beyond people interested in playing Tux Rider on a $600 game console.

The explanation for this is pretty simple. The PS3 is way overpriced and doesn't have any good games. Why the Wii is still so popular is beyond me. I think the hype machine on that is still running because there is starting to be a real lack of games for it as well I've played every game worth playing on the Wii and dont see anything interesting coming soon.

Also I don't think the price of the PS3 is coming down. I think Sony lowered the price of the Blu Ray players to keep people from buying a PS3 as a Blu ray player because it is costing them a fortune and those people are not buying games.

do you guys realize that this whole thread is started with "facts" from VGCHARTS-These in NO way shape in for are accurate UNLESS they are from a reporting agency.

I was just about to say that Stuart.

NPD is the reporting agency for North America. The results for May will be out around June 21.

Here is April's numbers.

VGChartz is fun to watch, but everything there should be taken with a grain of salt.

Personally, I use my gaming consoles for................gaming. Even though my 360 is networked to my computers, I never use it for anything except gaming. You should visit the IGN PS3 forums. You would fit in well with the blind fanboys over there.

The Wii is selling higher numbers is due to supply issues finally being resolved, and a backlog of demand to be fullfilled.

The 360 #'s maintained higher # of sales with the introduction of the 360 Elite, many people traded in systems toward Elites (trades do not deduct from sales)

The PS3 had no benefit of either of those factors, that would help explain the larger drop off in sales, both the Wii and 360 were down ~18% for the same time frame the PS3 was down 30%.

I own a Wii. I am buying a PS3 this month, and OWNED a 360 until late last month when i traded it in for credit to but toward my PS3.

The reason for my trade in was that my 360 was showing some of the same issues that it did previously before it died, but was still working, I didnt want to pay for a repair, or go thru all the hoops to get it repaired again. I also wanted an option for HD movies, and I could either spend $200 for the HD-DVD ADD ON to my 360, or trade it in use that same $200 to get a NEW Ps3 with BUILT-IN Blu-ray & Built in Wireless for networking.(Thru a good promotion I got $380 in trade for my 360 extra controller and 2 games)

If you look at all the features of the ps3 vs the 360 , it is actually CHEAPER than buying the 360 and adding the HD DVD and Wireless adapter. I hate when people don't compare Apples to Apples. Yes its expensive, Yes they should cut the price, BUT, you do actually GET SOMETHING for the money if you compare everything on an equal playfield.

so looking at the 3 systems, I see it as:

Wii - Fun games(limited selection), below average graphics, reasonably priced. A great system with innovative ideas, I love it.

360 Nice selection of games (12 month head start on competition), great graphics. Missing a key component that is in the competion (built-in wireless), ability to add-on HD DVD ($200 - ($100cheaper than stand alone)) BEST SYSTEM for pure gaming purposes, if you dont mind risking the system death issues that seem to plague this system.

ps3, limitied games, great graphics, higher up end potential for future games (Blu-Ray storage), larger Hard Drive, Next Gen Movie Player (much cheaper than buying a stand alone Blu-Ray ($200 savings) much higher up front costs as everything is built in rather than upgrades.

Now, If the Blu-Ray/HD DVD option is Important, the PS3 is actually the BETTER buy, more bang for your buck. Gaming wise, I would put it on par, with the exception of a lesser library at this time.

I was just about to say that Stuart.

NPD is the reporting agency for North America. The results for May will be out around June 21.

Here is April's numbers.

VGChartz is fun to watch, but everything there should be taken with a grain of salt.

Personally, I use my gaming consoles for................gaming. Even though my 360 is networked to my computers, I never use it for anything except gaming. You should visit the IGN PS3 forums. You would fit in well with the blind fanboys over there.

Considering the April NPD numbers aren't that far from the numbers above, the numbers above might be close. :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)