PS3 Speed Test???

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
Do you know how to test the upload and download speed on a PS3?

With all of the new items I added to my home network, my router is now full. I had to remove something, so I decided to switch my PS3 from Ethernet to WiFi. I want to see how much of a difference there is between the two setups when it comes to speed.

I have tried both and havent noticed a difference in the picture of DL content. If you cant notice, it doesnt matter what the numbers say, IMO anyway.

Mine is wifi now for the record.

You can plug in a switch and expand your hard wire capability. I have a 24 port switch on one router connection and a 5 port switch just for my Home Theater devices on the second router connection. WIFI is for those hard to reach locations like my patio and laptop, cellphone, ipad.

You can plug in a switch and expand your hard wire capability. I have a 24 port switch on one router connection and a 5 port switch just for my Home Theater devices on the second router connection. WIFI is for those hard to reach locations like my patio and laptop, cellphone, ipad.

Yes, this is exactly what I did in my bedroom. Ran cat 5 to the set, then put in a switch to connect all of the components. And the switches can be found cheap.

I do have a couple of hubs lying around. I may just put a hub in one room, plug everything in that room into that one hub, and hardwire the hub to the router

When I switched from a wireless to wired connection on my PS3 a couple years ago, I noticed game demos (1-2GB) downloaded much faster, like in under 30 mins as opposed to 90-120 minutes. Of course my ISP (cable) is continually increasing its speeds.

Watched a 1080p movie on VUDU through my PS3 using WiFi with no problems. Since I do not game, as long as it can handle 1080p movies I am fine with its speed.

Go to Network Settings, and then select Internet Connection Test

Thanks to Rad for the info

Ditto. I thought the two taps in my bedroom were enough. I now have a hub and at least a half dozen things plugged in at any given time.

Go to Network Settings, and then select Internet Connection Test

Thanks to Rad for the info
15 to 19 down and about 1 up through WiFi. That is more than I need for what I use my PS3.

Keep in mind I am paying for 15 mbps with Roadrunner and I consistently getting between 20 and 30 through LAN. The 15 to 19 is more than what I am paying for anyway

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)