PS3 worth buying?

simon.belmont

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
VA
Hey,

I am considering buying a ps3. I have heard alot of bad things about them though which leaves me unsure. I have always enjoyed the ps2 but the high price and the lack of games leaves a lot to be desired since the cheaper one(the one I could afford) isn't backwards compatible. Folklore looks hot though, as do a few of the other titles. I'm heavily into RPGs. Most consumers I hear talk about the HD-DVD aspect, but I don't own a HD-TV so that really doesn't help me much. Any and all opinions are welcome.

Thanks

only thing i ever used my ps3 for is the foldind project we have guys and to watchere at sath taladega nights bluray the disk that came with ps3 at my time of purchase

i say no
i much prefer my xbox360 for all my gaming but im sure many will disagree with me
it comes down to personal preference i think imho

:welcome to satguys :welcome

for godsakes geta hdtv

Yeah - why buy a PS3 if you don't have an HDTV? You buy the PS3 for the better quality (image)games - but if you don't have the correct equipment to play on - you negate that.

Lack of games - does it matter? How many games can you play at one time? The xbox has a ton of games - but I wouldn't play 99% of them. As long as the PS3 has a few games that I like - I am happy. If xbox has 100 games that I would never play - it doesn't matter to me who has the most.

Xbox live is much better then the PS3 Network. I don't care about that so not all that important to me. If you like to download games/music/videos - the ps3 lacks immensely there.

I bought it for the movie playback with the game part of it as a bonus. The funny thing is I now find myself playing more games then watching movies.

Oh - and there a ton of new games due for release this year. PS3 will catch up soon enough.

Yeah - why buy a PS3 if you don't have an HDTV? You buy the PS3 for the better quality (image)games - but if you don't have the correct equipment to play on - you negate that.

Lack of games - does it matter? How many games can you play at one time? The xbox has a ton of games - but I wouldn't play 99% of them. As long as the PS3 has a few games that I like - I am happy. If xbox has 100 games that I would never play - it doesn't matter to me who has the most.

Xbox live is much better then the PS3 Network. I don't care about that so not all that important to me. If you like to download games/music/videos - the ps3 lacks immensely there.

I bought it for the movie playback with the game part of it as a bonus. The funny thing is I now find myself playing more games then watching movies.

Oh - and there a ton of new games due for release this year. PS3 will catch up soon enough.

I do agree on the selection issue. I am wanting to play ffxIII and some of the other titles look really nice. I'm just a gamer really, I don't think the media features of the ps3 will be of much value for me.

GT5 is going to rock. I can't wait for that to come out. I just picked up Burnout/ Pardise - and that is loads of fun.

Also - if you want backwards compatibility - get the 80G. You get a free game and twice the harddrive for $100 more. If the price does drop - now you are the cost of what you wanted to pay for the 40G model.

GT5 is going to rock. I can't wait for that to come out. I just picked up Burnout/ Pardise - and that is loads of fun.

Also - if you want backwards compatibility - get the 80G. You get a free game and twice the harddrive for $100 more. If the price does drop - now you are the cost of what you wanted to pay for the 40G model.

I thinks final fantasy XIII looks awesome, but dunno if I want to make a purchase for something that isn't going to release for at least another year or so. Current titles that interest me are lair, ninja gaiden, folklore, and drake's uncharted.

I have two 60GBs and one 40GB...use them to watch BD, play PS3 games, fold@home, stream media, run Linux in some form or fashion - and they will be used as a HD DVR when the PlayTV peripheral comes out later this year. These are very versatile little boxes.

It's definitely worth buying, and Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Uncharted are great games - Uncharted is perhaps my favorite game ever...

However, if you don't have an HDTV and you aren't going to use any of the download stuff (downloading demos is the best thing about it, by the way, and I'm not sure why Silvia has such a negative outlook on the PS3 downloadable content... I think it's good, and it's FREE, unlike the 360), it might be tough to justify the price tag just for a couple of games that you are interested in... Uncharted is a great game, but part of the draw is how it looks - not sure how well that would translate to an SD TV.

HD Gaming + HD Movies + downloadable content + memory card slots + media streaming (and others I haven't mentioned) = a must buy for me... but if you start taking some of those things out of the equation, it does change things.

Without and HDTV, there's really no point. Here's a thought...for birthdays and holidays, whenever someone asked what I wanted, I consistantly told them BB gift cards. Eventually, they added up. So, I finally got an 80g, extra controller and Call of Duty 4 for $300. If that's an option for you...go that route and DO NOT settle for the 40g. BUT again...w/no HDTV...its not worth shedding out that much for it.

Without and HDTV, there's really no point. Here's a thought...for birthdays and holidays, whenever someone asked what I wanted, I consistantly told them BB gift cards. Eventually, they added up. So, I finally got an 80g, extra controller and Call of Duty 4 for $300. If that's an option for you...go that route and DO NOT settle for the 40g. BUT again...w/no HDTV...its not worth shedding out that much for it.

I think the general opinion of everyone is to get an hd tv before I worry about a ps3. I could actually get a decent hd tv for a few hundred more than the ps3 itself. Perhaps I will just do that first.

Not negative - fact is the Playstation Network does not even compare to XBL. Free or not. For once - Microsoft did something right. Anyone that has used both cannot disagree. XBL offers more content and a better interface. That is what Microsoft does - develop software. There interface should be better.

It is like comparing Tivo to your DTV-DVR. Both sorta do the same things - but everyone will always say the Tivo is nicer and does more.

I do not own one - so I am in no way a fanboy trying to start something. I own the PS3 and prefer what it offers. It is a great machine and will only get better once the developers grasp what it can do. Same with the PSN.

oh - and where do you live? Here in the northeast you can get a free hdtv if you sign up for FIOS. Might be something to look into? Not some 61" - but a good starting point.

Microsoft charges for everything, S**** they even charge you for background themes for the 360, where the PS3's themes are free.
I have both systems, I prefer my PS3 because the games that are on, I like them...
RFoM, Motorstorm, Socom (the new one will be amazing), Gran Turismo, MGS4, FFXIII, Tekken series, Uncharted Drake, Warhawk, KillZone, and few other games that I love...
Most of those games the 360 will never see.
Keep in mind that if you like UT3, the PS3 will have mods enabled, where the 360 will not allow that, Billy boy is too scared that his system is going to be HAXED!
I like Xbox live, but I like the PS3 network too. Yes xbox live is much better for messaging people and other stuff, but the PS3 will soon be there...
Also you need to take a look at this, the PS3 since it came out it had several firmware updates, where there 360 in the last year had only few, or I should say since it came out..
Not trying to bash any formats here, but thats how it is,and how its always been.

Both systems are great, it all comes down to which games you like the most and that you want to play.
I myself got both systems and I am happy with my purchase, I just wish my 360 was quieter, I am on my 2nd one too, the one that has a new chip in it...Falco I believe that is.

Haze delayed until possibly 2009 and Frontlines cancelled (just tried MP beta on PC, it's going to be a great online game) :(

Looking forward to a PS3, but as a 360 owner it only brings so much to the table gaming-wise. Looking forward to the demos on PSN, and the couple interesting games that I want to play that I can't on the 360. Titles still aren't cracking the top 10 sold so that's still hindering studio support. Will be much happier with the gaming landscape once they're on better ground. After over a year, too much of the PS3s offerings are 'coming soon' or just no longer included in the package (60gbs level of BC).

oh - and where do you live? Here in the northeast you can get a free hdtv if you sign up for FIOS. Might be something to look into? Not some 61" - but a good starting point.

I don't have FIOS in my area. I live in a very small town.

Microsoft charges for everything, S**** they even charge you for background themes for the 360, where the PS3's themes are free.
I have both systems, I prefer my PS3 because the games that are on, I like them...
RFoM, Motorstorm, Socom (the new one will be amazing), Gran Turismo, MGS4, FFXIII, Tekken series, Uncharted Drake, Warhawk, KillZone, and few other games that I love...
Most of those games the 360 will never see.
Keep in mind that if you like UT3, the PS3 will have mods enabled, where the 360 will not allow that, Billy boy is too scared that his system is going to be HAXED!
I like Xbox live, but I like the PS3 network too. Yes xbox live is much better for messaging people and other stuff, but the PS3 will soon be there...
Also you need to take a look at this, the PS3 since it came out it had several firmware updates, where there 360 in the last year had only few, or I should say since it came out..
Not trying to bash any formats here, but thats how it is,and how its always been.

Both systems are great, it all comes down to which games you like the most and that you want to play.
I myself got both systems and I am happy with my purchase, I just wish my 360 was quieter, I am on my 2nd one too, the one that has a new chip in it...Falco I believe that is.
Could not have said it better myself!:up

You should get because of Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy XIII. I'm getting one.

I'll own one when FFXIII comes out. before then its a dead system to me. IMHO the games are a lot better on 360 and compatibility is as well. (you cant use guitar hero 3 items with rock band on PS3).

and as far as having a better friends list and ways of inviting people to games (for now at least) it is worth the 4.00 a month for Gold.

Squaresoft always manages to lure me to the other systems though :p

I just hope by the US release date of XIII the PS3 will have dropped by another $100

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)