PS3 worth buying?

For me it came down to what "exclusives" the systems have, for me the X360 games just appeal to me more; Halo3 was very tempting, but BioShock sealed the deal for me.

IMHO, PS3 exclusive are mostly "kids' games". The only compelling exception is GTA. I will buy one for my kids when the price vs. titles ratio reaches an attractive level.

Lastly, for "non-exclusives" you need to do some research. Some of them are designed for one system, and the ported very poorly to the other system. So you need to consider that factor too.

If you are talking about exclusives PS3 will have Metal Gear 4 that is a game I would take over Halo 3

And that is the type of thing I am talking about, personal preference and such. It just boils down to taste, and fanboi rants should be ignored. I was "on the fence" for a while; Halo3 was not enough to swing me, but BioShock definitely sold me.

But again for me, it is not such a big issue. When "must have" PS3 titles peak my interest, I will buy one of those too:). And when my kids break the 5 yo GameCube, I will buy them a Wii. And when... you get my point.:cool:

I'll say one thing. My kid's 360 is heading back to M$. I have friends that are on their 4th and 5th systems. If I get it back and it craps out again, I'm going to seriously consider a PS3 for the kids.

I'll say one thing. My kid's 360 is heading back to M$. I have friends that are on their 4th and 5th systems. If I get it back and it craps out again, I'm going to seriously consider a PS3 for the kids.

That would be my biggest concern. I would only recommend buying it new, as the newer units should be less problematic; and I would get it from a place that offers and "in store full replacement" warranty (BB has it for $60). OTOH, I also know of some people who haven't had a single problem. Yet I know of 2 people who had thier PS3 die already. All that being said, you won't get any argument from me that Sony is far superior in long-term reliability.

That would be my biggest concern. I would only recommend buying it new, as the newer units should be less problematic; and I would get it from a place that offers and "in store full replacement" warranty (BB has it for $60). OTOH, I also know of some people who haven't had a single problem. Yet I know of 2 people who had thier PS3 die already. All that being said, you won't get any argument from me that Sony is far superior in long-term reliability.

I lost 1 out of 3 that I have owned. Refurb has been fine though. When you have multiple failures in a row like that it is the power supply killing the machines.

The primary failure is in the GPU but powersupplies can be a huge killer to.

For me it came down to what "exclusives" the systems have, for me the X360 games just appeal to me more; Halo3 was very tempting, but BioShock sealed the deal for me.

IMHO, PS3 exclusive are mostly "kids' games". The only compelling exception is GTA. I will buy one for my kids when the price vs. titles ratio reaches an attractive level.

Lastly, for "non-exclusives" you need to do some research. Some of them are designed for one system, and the ported very poorly to the other system. So you need to consider that factor too.

Kid's game my ass.
MGS4 you call that kid's game?
Tekken series, you call that kids game?
Killzone series, kids game?
Socom series kids game?
RFoM another kids game?

And there are many more our way..
Oh BTW, DMC 1-3 was PS exclusive, your lucky to have DMC4 on the 360..

I am sorry fanboy, but you asked to be flamed.
This guy came here to ask about the PS3, not your personal opinion on how the PS3 has kids games.

Sony has far less defective units than the 360.

Sony has far less defective units than the 360.

I'm going to buy a PS3 when it drops down to $300. My son has had a 360 for over a year and no problems. My son has logged a ton of hours on that thing. I'm mainly a sports gamer and I wonder why EA does not produce college games for the PC. If they did I wouldn't even want a PS3. Anyone knows why EA stopped doing college games for the PC? People have told me that they lost money on the last college PC game which I find hard to believe.

I'm going to buy a PS3 when it drops down to $300. My son has had a 360 for over a year and no problems. My son has logged a ton of hours on that thing. I'm mainly a sports gamer and I wonder why EA does not produce college games for the PC. If they did I wouldn't even want a PS3. Anyone knows why EA stopped doing college games for the PC? People have told me that they lost money on the last college PC game which I find hard to believe.

First you say you would get one if it dropped under 300$, then you say you wouldn't want one if they did...care to explain?

First you say you would get one if it dropped under 300$, then you say you wouldn't want one if they did...care to explain?

I guess I wasn't clear sorry. I like to play sports games. If EA sports started to produce college sports games for the PC like they use to do I wouldn't want a PS3 nor a XBOX 360. If they don't and there is a price drop on the PS3 I would buy it. However with my luck the next day EA sports would announce they are producing college sports games for the PC once again.:D

I guess I wasn't clear sorry. I like to play sports games. If EA sports started to produce college sports games for the PC like they use to do I wouldn't want a PS3 nor a XBOX 360. If they don't and there is a price drop on the PS3 I would buy it. However with my luck the next day EA sports would announce they are producing college sports games for the PC once again.:D

Yeah, Football on a PC is fun :D, I haven't seen a football game produced for PC in a long time...

Madden 08. With the right joystick and an HDMI connection to a 27" HDTV is pretty good.:)

My wifes computer has HDMI and the 360 controller does work on the Computer, Hmmm.... you may have given me an IDEA! (24 inch dell monitor should work just nicely)

BTW here is a reason not to buy the PS3 for EA sports fans. At least for now.
(30fps on PS3, 60fps on 360...

Not Sonys fault once again, But EA sure does have problems porting to the system.

Maybe with them announcing PS3 to be more popular this year they will give a damn and make the games run better.)

My wifes computer has HDMI and the 360 controller does work on the Computer, Hmmm.... you may have given me an IDEA! (24 inch dell monitor should work just nicely)

BTW here is a reason not to buy the PS3 for EA sports fans. At least for now.
(30fps on PS3, 60fps on 360...

Not Sonys fault once again, But EA sure does have problems porting to the system.

Maybe with them announcing PS3 to be more popular this year they will give a damn and make the games run better.)

This is the one I use Logitech RumblePad 2 Vibration Feedback Gamepad - game pad price comparison
It is great for sports games on the PC. As far as EA, since they have had a monopoly on sports games since the mid 90's things have gone down hill. I use to like I believe it was "Front Page Sports" from Sierra. Now EA just tweaks the same game over and over.

I bought mine 2 weeks ago. Well I realized that most of the HD movies that I'll considered to buy are on Blue Ray. Well I got the $400 unit , I tested it with Spiderman 3 and I like what I saw, so I didn't return the Ps3 to Sears.
Now I have both HD formats.
I bought RFOM, cool game. I like the control and the fast pace of the character.
Basically the only game that I may consider right now is Unreal Tour 3, but I going to wait for the Xbox version, because most of my "online" friends play on the 360.(A friend of mine won that game for PC and I been using in my PC, too expensive to get a Direct X Card so I got the Ps3)Metal Gear and Gran Turismo, I'm very familiar with those on the Ps2 and Finally Haze which got delayed again are the other titles that I wanted for the Ps3.

What I don't like is that new games are being released on 720p, like Uncharted DF. I can't recall if Assassin's Creed is 720p too, because I have that game for the 360 and my brother took that game(Ps3 version) to make comparisons and the 360 versions is smoother, look more vivid. I have and 1080 Samsung Lcd, LN-T4071F, we played with the settings and we both agree that the 360 version looks better.(remember this is my opinion). Both using HDMI.

Now I have the best of both worlds on gaming and HD movies, so if your budget can take it go for it.

Final note, my bother bought the Ps3 60 Gig version and he is on the third console and he barely use it. I bought 2 X360, my kids back in Jan 07 and is working fine. I had 3 RROD and back in Nov they send me a new unit after I talked to a supervisor, sold it and got an Elite. But as long as I'm not paying a single dime on those replacements I don't complain.
Something that helped me is the use of a Battery Back up so no electrical surges will affect my consoles and TV.

Bottom line gents is that Sony has owned the market for the last 5 years. Hell, the PS2 still in some weeks outsells the PS3. With that said, the 360 and the Wii have greatly impacted the last 5 years of "exclusive sales" that Sony has endured. The 360 because of the live content and some exclusive games (Bioshock, Halo, Gears) and the Wii because it is the "new thing" to get and it appeals to a wider base. Is the PS3 worth buying, yes. Are the other systems worth buying, yes. Each offers its own little niche in the gaming industry. Find three friends who own three different systems and judge for yourself. Everyone is different...

Kid's game my ass.
MGS4 you call that kid's game?
Tekken series, you call that kids game?
Killzone series, kids game?
Socom series kids game?
RFoM another kids game?

And there are many more our way..
Oh BTW, DMC 1-3 was PS exclusive, your lucky to have DMC4 on the 360..

I am sorry fanboy, but you asked to be flamed.
This guy came here to ask about the PS3, not your personal opinion on how the PS3 has kids games.

Umm, what crawled up your butt? :confused: And how does that make me a FanBoy? :confused: Did you actually read my other posts:eureka, where I said I liked ALL of the systems and plan on eventually plan on buying ALL of them??? And I clearly stated that I only bought the X360 first becuase the PS3 didn't have any titles that compelled me yet? (I had a PS3 for a while and found Resistance to be boring IMHO, and I only ditched it because I had the infamous heat/noise problem) And did you read where I said over-and-over again that it is a matter of "personal taste"??? YOU sound like the FanBoi here icepuppy:D. If you want to start a verbal assault, come visit me in The Pit; I will vivisect you, and eat you with some fava beans and a nice Chianti...:hungry:

Game of the year Awards

$299 PS3 on January 28th

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)