PS3's Attachment rate is one!

OK, let me ask a really stupid question. This "attachment" rate you guys love to quote... is that the TOTAL number of movies someone has bought, the number they buy per month/year, or what? I'm struggling with either format being at the point that people who have the players have only bought 3.5 or less movies.... there can't be that many renters out there, can there?

Apart from that, though, the numbers actually work out about right. If there are roughly the same number of standalones and 3.5 times the number of PS3's as the number of standalones (2.6M vs. 750k each), that would give you your 2:1 sales ratio.

OK, let me ask a really stupid question. This "attachment" rate you guys love to quote... is that the TOTAL number of movies someone has bought, the number they buy per month/year, or what? I'm struggling with either format being at the point that people who have the players have only bought 3.5 or less movies.... there can't be that many renters out there, can there?

Apart from that, though, the numbers actually work out about right. If there are roughly the same number of standalones and 3.5 times the number of PS3's as the number of standalones (2.6M vs. 750k each), that would give you your 2:1 sales ratio.

It means the total of software owned per unit of hardware this number genearly removes software resold (such as selling it to gamestop)

It means the total of software owned per unit of hardware this number genearly removes software resold (such as selling it to gamestop)

That number is pretty pathetic on both sides, then, IMO.

Why would you spend money on a player and only buy 3 movies?

That number is pretty pathetic on both sides, then, IMO.

Why would you spend money on a player and only buy 3 movies?

Rental. ;) I have 4 DVD players in the house and own exactly 5 DVDs. The same 5 that came free with the Panasonic DVD player many years ago. I will probably buy a Blu-Ray or HD DVD player some day, but I will not buy any movies. This will probably limit me to Blu-Ray player because I get my movies from Blockbuster Total Access. Even though online BB carries HD DVDs, but the local stores only carry Blu-Ray. And since I don't have any gaming console currently (my last one was Sega Genesis.. I know...) I will probably end up with a PS3.

I buy the movies I think I will be watching over and over again, I usually rent the ones that I want to see once. I bought a PS3 because I like to game, and I have blu-ray movies, and yes, I have more games than movies.

They did not call me -- I own 91 BD movies and am getting 4 for XMAS!:D

Also, many people buy HD-DVD players for upconverting DVDs. Why pay more for an HD-DVD when you can get the standard def one and get it upconverted for less? Many people do not see a difference between upconverted DVDs and HD DVDs. It is sad, but until televisions that can make the difference obvious to the average consumer come down to where the average consumer would buy them, there will be little difference seen between HD and STD. Once the average consumer gets 50"+ 1080p TVs as standard they may be able to tell.

You would not believe how hard it was to get my parents to see the difference between HD and STD TV. The main reason I think they see a difference is that HD fills up the screen without making the people look fat.

I rent my movies thru Blockbuster.online, and seeing as i have been grandfathered in, I also get 2 free instore GAME rentals a month.. so really, I pay for 2 games a month and get all the movies for free.. :)