PTAT all local!

rocket69

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
On Your Roof!
Since all the locals are on the same transponder can we add some other locals to ptat if on the same transponder? Should have a list of all options.

Seems to be a waste of tunners when ptat tunner can get it all.

I would like that if they could record all the HD networks on the same transponder. Like PBS ,CW and MyNetwork tv . Then you could claim that PTAT would record up to 7 prime time channels and 2 satellite = 9 shows at a time. The only problem is that I don't think that all markets have all their locals on the same transponder. Not to mention that if you put all those hd channels on one transponder , I'm not sure that the video quality would be that good. Come to think about it, I think that mpeg 4 does allow up to 8 hd channels on one transponder without issues. So maybe DISH will expand it to include the other networks ,as long as it's logistically possible.

I wonder if there might be a software or hardward limitation on the number of channels that can be "demuxed" (for lack of a better word) from the transponder stream. Perhaps 4 is the current limit, but since they now give you the option to turn off individual channels from PTAT, perhaps they could allow all local channels on the same transponder to be available candidates for the customer to choose which 4 to be included in PTAT.

well not all local but most major channels are on same TP. In LA they have 8 locals on same TP and other markets have 4 mabe no local Spanish or HD version of major channel.

Some day would be nice but im sure there priority is to get hopper working 100% of current "Coming Soon" offers vs adding more things with more bugs.

The non-LIL channels can get moved around more than we realize for best efficiency regarding statistical multiplexing in order to maintain the best PQ possible. Looking at the lists published on this site, one can see over time several channels having been moved to different transponders and less frequently, different sats.

So, it would not make for a reliable PTAT service for non-LIL's as one would think. Right now, Dish needs to keep PQ as high as possible and allow for moving channels to different xpndrs relatively frequently.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts