PTAT Recording When Not Enabled

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

MDHokie

Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
U.S.
Hello All,

First time visiting this forum. I did a quick search and couldn't find anything on the subject.

My issue is that it seems that PTAT is taking up a tuner and recording shows even though I have it turned off. ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC networks are being recorded and I have no idea how to stop it. In addition, the "PTAT" yellow logo doesn't show up in my guide.

I have yet to do a complete a system restart, but that is because there are too many shows recording and I'll get yelled at for interrupting somebody's shows :/. It would also be inconvenient if a system restart is the only way to fix this, because I'll have to wait until recordings are done before I can fix the problem in the future.

Wondering if anybody else has experienced this.

I have attached pics to show that:
1.) PTAT is disabled
2.) The guide doesn't show the yellow "PTAT" logos
3.) My tuners and what they are recording

Thanks in advance for any info on the issue!
Dish(1).jpgDish(2).jpgDish(3).jpg

***EDIT: The PTAT shows aren't being recorded, I just can't change the channel on the 3rd tuner like I usually can.

This is a feature since S234 that enables the PTAT-like functionality so that anyone who is watching one of the Big 4 local channels that are on the same spot beam can all watch on the same tuner. This works great for multi-TV households that would otherwise be utilizing a single tuner per joey for these channels.

If you stop watching the Big 4 channel that kicked it off it will release Tuner 3 as normal.

If someone puts on a PTAT eligible channel (ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX) it will automatically load the other 3 networks using that one tuner.

If I were to put ABC on, someone would then be able to watch one of the other 4 networks without taking up an additional tuner. If no one is watching one of the PTAT eligible stations, then it will show the three tuners normally.

I noticed that when using this new feature you still can't record more than 3 (or 4 w/OTA) at once. Is that a bug or was that intentional?

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

The problem I have seen since the last update is that if one tuner is showing the 4 locals, then another tuner is changed to a local, the second tuner may show individually that it is on a local and it becomes difficult to get off of the local. Instead of the ptat-like tuner showing multiple locations viewing it still only shows one, and the other tuner shows a local as well. When trying to chang the channel on that tuner it just brings up the tuner menu as if the red button had been pressed, prompting you to change tuners, but the only useful thing to be done is pick the third tuner that is available or on a non local and take over it, making available the tuner that originally showed the single local. Sorry if the explanation is confusing, the issue took me a few minutes to wrap my head around but I have been to several customers' homes having the issue. Hopefully someone at dish is aware of this issue.

Thank you all for the info! This seems like a great feature that we have never noticed/taken advantage of. We just recently started using the red function button to navigate our tuners, so this should be a nice feature that the family will take advantage of.

Thanks again!

The problem I have seen since the last update is that if one tuner is showing the 4 locals, then another tuner is changed to a local, the second tuner may show individually that it is on a local and it becomes difficult to get off of the local. Instead of the ptat-like tuner showing multiple locations viewing it still only shows one, and the other tuner shows a local as well. When trying to chang the channel on that tuner it just brings up the tuner menu as if the red button had been pressed, prompting you to change tuners, but the only useful thing to be done is pick the third tuner that is available or on a non local and take over it, making available the tuner that originally showed the single local. Sorry if the explanation is confusing, the issue took me a few minutes to wrap my head around but I have been to several customers' homes having the issue. Hopefully someone at dish is aware of this issue.

Here is what I think is going on based off of what you descirbed, but I could be wrong. It sounds like all your tuners are in use at the time which is causing this problem. If you turn to a big 4 network then you will see all 4 big 4 networks displayed on tuner 3. Lets say you are watching Fox and someone else in the home is watching NBC. Well you are both sharing tuner 3 because of PTAT 24/7. If your other 2 tuners are in use, recording or someone else viewing something different, then that is why the TV Viewing Status screen pops up. Even though you are trying to change the channel off of FOX, the person viewing NBC is still watching and using that 3rd tuner. Or if the Joey is powered on and left on a big 4 it is still holding that tuner in use. I would bet that if you went and checked and turned the Joey OFF that is tuned to a big 4 network, then you will be able to change the channel on tuner 3 normally.

Thank you all for the info! This seems like a great feature that we have never noticed/taken advantage of. We just recently started using the red function button to navigate our tuners, so this should be a nice feature that the family will take advantage of.

Thanks again!

It was added with a recent software update. There was no announcement about it being added so I think it kind of surprised a lot of people.

I wondered why when my Hopper was recording Leno, Letterman and Kimmel, my Joey in the bedroom could still could still access another tuner.

Is there any plan to change this? I don't use PTAT, but do record BIG4 shows. It sure would be nice if the timers recognized that a tuner was already on a BIG4 and then just tap into that stream. I actually haven't hit the red button while it was recording (so I don't actually know how the tuners are allocated), but I have noticed that at least via the guide and conflict resolution, you can not record 4 shows at once even if they are only the 4 networks (ignoring OTA).

I just tested it here, and had the same result as you so it appears to be normal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)