Public Poll Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAG72

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
Earth
If a poll is created as a public poll, why can you not see who voted for what once you cast your vote? Doesn't this kind of defeat the purpose of creating a public poll.

If a poll is created as a public poll, why can you not see who voted for what once you cast your vote? Doesn't this kind of defeat the purpose of creating a public poll.
On the contrary, I believe the purpose of a Poll is to get an idea of how many feel a certain way about something? Not who voted (or who will vote) for what? Just my opinion! A lot of people (for various reasons) don't want people to see how they voted for something? If you expose them, they would quit participating, or worse, the Dictator would take them out!

Al

I hope I haven't misunderstood what you're getting at? The polls on here always show me the outcome immediately when I vote (of course it's not how every individual voted, but the total outcome). And I vote frequently on "Lou Dobbs" Polls, if they listed how each of the 8000-14000 (or more) different people voted, it would take up a lot of space and maybe crash the site?

Last edited:
On the contrary, I believe the purpose of a Poll is to get an idea of how many feel a certain way about something? Not who voted (or who will vote) for what? Just my opinion! A lot of people (for various reasons) don't want people to see how they voted for something? If you expose them, they would quit participating, or worse, the Dictator would take them out!

Al

But there are curently two options for creating a poll (Private and Public). If you choose public you can currently see how people vote until you vote yourself. I see your point but the public polls are shown that way and people can choose to participate or not.

But there are curently two options for creating a poll (Private and Public). If you choose public you can currently see how people vote until you vote yourself. I see your point but the public polls are shown that way and people can choose to participate or not.
I've never created a Poll on here (or anywhere) so I don't know much about it. I have seen the Polls with a place to check the results and after you vote it shows the results and says you have already voted. But, I hadn't noticed that maybe some Polls don't allow you to check the results, I'll try to remember to look for that? I guess that would be what they would mean by Private? Maybe one of the Moderators can explain this?

Al

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)