Purchased 522's

jcanavera

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
I guess with the sale of 522's through Ebay and the impending marketing plans by Dish to sell these units next year, there probably will be some existing customers who will be replacing their older units with these.

I just learned something that may be of minor consequence but in itself is an interesting item. I pulled my model 5000 receiver out last night and put the purchased 522 in its place. I still have to run the second feed and install a qual LNB. I thought at least I would get the unit activated and running, albeit on one tuner.

Suprise to find out that the 522 receiver actually segregates the reception of signals from each satellite. I noticed after the unit came up and upgraded to current software, that my programming guide was only showing channels from the 110 satellite. I called Dish and initially the tech support person said that there was a problem with my receiver and ordered a replacement.

I called back twice and talked to two other support folks only to find out that the 110 signal is received by Sat input 1 and 119 is Sat input 2. Very interesting to a non technical person like me since obviously my 5000 was picking up both satellites on one feed. I was assured by tech support that once I ran the other cable and did a test switch, that all would be ok.

So it looks like some components of the tuners are actually passing signals to each other. Amazing how it all works.

Jack

jcanavera said:
I called back twice and talked to two other support folks only to find out that the 110 signal is received by Sat input 1 and 119 is Sat input 2. Very interesting to a non technical person like me since obviously my 5000 was picking up both satellites on one feed. I was assured by tech support that once I ran the other cable and did a test switch, that all would be ok.

So it looks like some components of the tuners are actually passing signals to each other. Amazing how it all works.

Jack

Wrong! CRS's don't know anything technical about the boxes. Both inputs use all sat locations connected to them. If what you said were true, there would be limitations on what both users could watch in Dual Mode and limitations on what you could watch and record in the background in Single Mode.

What joemama said. :up

First, the 522 (or any E* dual-tuner box) is generally gonna go bonkers with only one fed hooked up.

Second, it sounds like you didn't run Check Switch.

This is why CSRs should not answer tech questions :)

The 522 is just a box with two tuners hooked up inside.
So you get two 510's stacked, but sharing one heart <hard drive>

Also note, that the fav lists in dual mode are not shared ! TV2 can have it's own favorites set up.. Awesome stuff

Activ8

joemama said:
Wrong! CRS's don't know anything technical about the boxes. Both inputs use all sat locations connected to them. If what you said were true, there would be limitations on what both users could watch in Dual Mode and limitations on what you could watch and record in the background in Single Mode.

Well apparently the 522 cannot receive both satellites because with my single feed after running check switch, I only have the 110 channels. And thats what the tech support folks said would happen. So its just not a matter to say I have two receivers that work totally independently cause if they did, I should get 110 and 119. Apparently without 2 feeds you can't see both birds.

Jack

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)