purchasing older box

Status
Please reply by conversation.

anchorhold

Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
Belize
Is it possible to purchase an older receiver, like through ebay, and have it added onto our existing account? We have the SWM HD boxes. Not sure the older boxes would work with what we have set up in Kentucky. Thanks o, we are with Direct TV

It has to be an R-16 or higher for it to work. It also has to be owned as well. If its a lease then you'll be required to send it back. By adding a box it will extend your contract another 24 months.

I almost forgot, D-12 will work on SWM too

Just to add to what Hutch said, if it's not a Directv branded box, it won't work with a swm system unless you are using a SWM8 switch.

if you do buy one off of ebay, please make sure you get the RID# to confirm with Directv that the box is owned before you pay.

Thanks for the replies, the adding another two more years scared me off. If I am using Shaw Star Choice and buy a used 300 series shaw receiver, will that still work with star choice?

Remember even if you purchase a box you will still have the monthly fee for it--they just call it service fee instead of lease fee or receiver fee.

Purchasing a box on ebay or anywhere else does not put you in a 2 year contract. The two year contract is only applied when you UPGRADE your receivers through directv

Purchasing a box on ebay or anywhere else does not put you in a 2 year contract. The two year contract is only applied when you UPGRADE your receivers through directv

No, not only when you upgrade.

i got an HR24-500 when it was released at overstock.com for $175 at the time. when i called to activate i was asked if i was aware this would trigger a new 24 month commitment and i said yes. from what i have always understood is if its a new and leased unit you will trigger a new commitment unless you're getting an owned unit.

wrong. Most receivers are leased so if you buy one from a retailer you will be put in a 2 year agreement. The exception is when the receiver is considered OWNED by Directv.
99% of the time you will get a 2 year agreement when activating it

OSD771 said:

If you add a receiver or activating a new one you're getting tacked with 24 months. Only service swaps will keep from adding the 24 month agreement.

No, iceberg's post is correct. If you get an OWNED receiver there is no 24 months agreement. But there are not many owned receivers available (particularly DVRs). Almost every receiver you will see on ebay etc are LEASED receivers. If you want to get a receiver from ebay etc get the receiver ID, and call DirecTV, ask for the access card department and they will tell you if the receiver is owned or leased.

No, iceberg's post is correct. If you get an OWNED receiver there is no 24 months agreement. But there are not many owned receivers available (particularly DVRs). Almost every receiver you will see on ebay etc are LEASED receivers. If you want to get a receiver from ebay etc get the receiver ID, and call DirecTV, ask for the access card department and they will tell you if the receiver is owned or leased.

correct. i've only been able to find owned HR20's and whenever i activated them it never triggered a new agreement.

If you add a receiver or activating a new one you're getting tacked with 24 months. Only service swaps will keep from adding the 24 month agreement.

Wrong again. I just bought another HR21 Pro and activated it on my account. also if you want to pay 450 dollars to directv for hr2x it will also be owned and avoid the 24 month commitment.

And that the bottom line so there.

Year and a half ago I found a owned R15 at a goodwill for 4.99 and activated it.....2 months later it died and they sent me a R22 in its place

that was a heckuva upgrade :)

stonecold said:
Wrong again. I just bought another HR21 Pro and activated it on my account. also if you want to pay 450 dollars to directv for hr2x it will also be owned and avoid the 24 month commitment.

And that the bottom line so there.

Because it was owned. If its leased only a service swap keeps from adding 24 months

dishrich said:
If he's also in an MPEG4 locals market, that will NOT work either; in that case an H2x, HR2x or R22 are the only models that will work.

I just bought a used H20, so with this being said, so, it should work with a SWM setup. I'm calling Monday :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)