Putting up my FTA satellite in the morning

Status
Please reply by conversation.
dashaund said:
Everything is correct. Like I said, I've been using this same box and setup for two weeks and It's all been working fine until today. Don't know if it's the box or the LNB. Just wondering if anyone here has run into this same trouble before. It's driving me crazy!

You wouldn't happen to have access to a E* or D* box would you???

D*. I'm a subscriber. But, will I be able to pick up anything?

Edit: Okay, so I have an OLD Hughes box in the corner. Move my sat to 110 and hooked it up. I'm getting 97% on even transponders and 0% on odds. Guess my Fortec has it on H or V...I assume this is good news. Tried to run a loop out out of the Fortec into the D* box and I get 0% on the D*. What's up with that? Different frequency spectrum or something?

Last edited:
Dish uses Circular Polarity LNB's. Depending on how you have your Fortec set up, when you switched to 110, you may have been on the Linear side of your QPH-031 instead of the Circular side.
grusome

110 wont work right on Direct.

110 for them uses oddball LNB (Sat C) that takes TP 28,30, 32 and converts them on the 119 side to 6,8,10

you would need to aim at 101 for a DirecTV box :)

dashaund said:
D*. I'm a subscriber. But, will I be able to pick up anything?

Edit: Okay, so I have an OLD Hughes box in the corner. Move my sat to 110 and hooked it up. I'm getting 97% on even transponders and 0% on odds. Guess my Fortec has it on H or V...I assume this is good news. Tried to run a loop out out of the Fortec into the D* box and I get 0% on the D*. What's up with that? Different frequency spectrum or something?

Yeah, I was going to say you should use it to check out your LNB and coax. If you loop out from the fortec then you will need to turn off the fortec(with the remote...put the fortec in standy mode), then the loop out box can flip the polarities. Make sure you are hooked to the circular side of the LNB.

Whoops, typed it wrong. I was on 101. Seemed to work great. Does this mean my LNB is good? I made sure on the Fortec that my 22khz switch was off, which puts it in C mode not L. Also made sure the LNB type was 11250.

Now I'm just disgusted. Got my new Coolsat 5000 from SatelliteAV (thanks for the great deal!) and hooked it up. I was getting a 97% signal strength on Nimiq 2 but only about 25% in SQ. Got on the roof to tweak my dish and I could only muster 35%. Wired in my SF-95 and had the thing screaming at about 7 with the nob turned to about +1db, but still the best I could do is about 35%. I straight wired it from the LNB to the SF-95 to the Coolsat 5000 bypassing the motor and 22khz switch. Yes it was in C not L. Yes, I had the Coolsat with 11250 and Single LNB. Even did a factory reset and tried again. Err! Is it the LNB? I've tried everything else. Why can't I get any SQ? This setup was working great before, just a little offline to where it wouldn't get the sats on the ends, and even almost had that working before something went wrong and I can't get any SQ now. Plenty of SS though!

Did you set you location in the Menu, or did you reset your location in the Menu after the factory reset? Are you sure you've plugged into the correct input on the back, the one labeled LNB Input? Maybe, all of the clouds from Ernesto are wet enough to block your signal? Yesterday, I lost signal 2-3 times on a 1.2m dish and it wasn't raining, Yet. Tried my E* service, no signal. So, lucky me, I watched my 4dtv (10' BUD) with no problems.

Al

All it took was another set of eyes. My dad came up with me and took a look at everything. Yes, I had everything wired right. My problem: I was reading the latitude incorrectly. Made me feel so dumb. I was incorrectly reading the washer (or whatever you call it) behind the bolt that you look at the set the elevation/latitude. It thought you looked at the bottom of it, but my dad saw the arrow on the top. Once we set the latitude with that and I adjust the elevation on my dish, BAM! It pop in the arc. Still can't get G10R, but I might just put up a fixed dish for that down the road. AHHHH!!!! So relieved. Once I feel like I know a little something, I get humbled. Guess that's just life, right?

Wish they would make the markings a bit easier to see, like below!

Attachments

• Pict0132.JPG
    Pict0132.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 93
dashaund said:
All it took was another set of eyes. My dad came up with me and took a look at everything. Yes, I had everything wired right. My problem: I was reading the latitude incorrectly. Made me feel so dumb. I was incorrectly reading the washer (or whatever you call it) behind the bolt that you look at the set the elevation/latitude. It thought you looked at the bottom of it, but my dad saw the arrow on the top. Once we set the latitude with that and I adjust the elevation on my dish, BAM! It pop in the arc. Still can't get G10R, but I might just put up a fixed dish for that down the road. AHHHH!!!! So relieved. Once I feel like I know a little something, I get humbled. Guess that's just life, right?

No LOS on G10R?

No, I have LOS on G10R. There is some thick foilage in that direction, but since my dish is on the roof, it doesn't bother it...the sats just east of that don't have any problems clearing it. I played around with my dish and got a 58% lock on G10R ONE time. Ever since then it has eluded me. I'm getting everything else I want now, so I think I'll just leave it. Heck, I'm getting 80+ SQ (over 90 on some TPs) on IA5 and 6, and in my opinion, if I blow on it I'll lose it up there, so I'm happy. I'm sure when I get a BUD up, I'll get G10R then :) What are some strong TPs that I can try on G10R if I do decide to either tinker with that I've got or put up a fixed dish?

YEAH! Don't know what might've changed but I'm locking G10R now. Maybe we did have some clouds or something, but I'm locking that TP (11800) @ 90% now. I'm happy now...

Glad to hear it, g10 can be a bugger to get sometimes. I tried to get g10 today for a little while on a system i am setting up for a friend, only to find that darn trees are in the way where we wanted to put the dish :-( So, time to go to plan b, and put the dish WAY up next to a dormer window on the second story.

Yep.. G10R is a touchy one. You know when have your extreme east satellite, your TS sat, and G10R all bang on your done with the tweaking. ;)

G-10R was the first linear satellite I ever hit with my 1 meter Channel Master dish :) I was surprised that I found it rather quickly (<5 minutes) :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)