PVR 508 issue

headcancer

Original poster
Apr 16, 2006
Jefferson City, MO
Thanks in advance to anyone that can help. I own a 508 and lease a 622 (a recent upgrade from a 522).

Prior to the upgrade config consist of a DP44, Superdish105 and the above mentioned recievers.

A few months back I started to have problems with my 508 loosing the signal with error 002 on several of the channels on sat 119. I typically watch FOX News as I work from my home office and that was the first channel that would reflect the error and upon flipping around on other channels I observed that quite a few other channels (all on 119) would also be loss of signal. I have performed checkswitch with no problems, along with unhooking all the cables, hard resets, to no avail. Dish network has come out and seen the issue and immediatly blamed the cabling so he ran a new line directly from the switch and the problem remained. I forgot to add I have not been able to duplicate this issue on the 622 as it works perfect.

The next step as I recall was the tech then swapped the DPP44 switch, still not working. He then at that point indicated that the problem must be with the 508 and then gave me instructions to get a replacment from Dish using my service contract I pay extra for.
Well I got the new one yesterday, hooked it up and it went out and downloaded the critical updates, and all the other steps then it prompted me to call to activate and wala, new dish 508 activated and same problem with 002 errors on Sat 119. Once again checkswitch was fine and the 622 upstairs continues to work fine, no errors ever.

I am keeping my original 508 over the refrubed replacement as my new when purchased model has the better Seagate HD and I am only owner and it has always been treated right(ventilation, not a smoker, not moved when running).

I also think it is worth mentioning that the channels come back usually in the evening into the night but just last night the problem remained until after 10:00 that I can recall.

Any suggestions? I am now dealing with this issue for over 90 days...

Last edited:
Try swapping your 508 into where your 622 is at. You'll have to eliminate the separator since you only need the one line. This will help verify if the problem is the receiver or just the location.

What I suspect is either a bad wire/connector or a bad port on your DPP44 switch. More than likely it's the former.

Thanks but...

I have tried that, also as I mentioned in my original post, the tech that came to the house went to the switch and ran a brand new line and the problem remained. I also have moved the 508 upstairs and tried it on the other cable drop, problem remained.

The tech as have I have both tried different ports and even a new switch all together...

Have you checked your signal levels on all TPs on the 508? Go to Menu, 6-1-1 and check the signal strength for all TPs on 119 and compare them to the 622.

Since the receiver has been exchanged, the cable line has been replaced, and the switch has been replaced all I can think of is that the 508 sat tuner is being overdriven by the switch. Checking your signal levels will indicate that problem.

I believe that these are the same problems discussed in the 110 problems thread. The 501's,508's and 510's have the same issues stemming from software update p308. Dish is supposed to be spooling out p309 which hopefully will fix these problems as indicated by Dishpro who received p309 yesterday.

Yes I'm having issues with transponders on 119 as well now. It started with just 110 but has gotten worse affecting some odd and even transponders on 119. I have replaced everything with my system. Dp34 switch,cables, and lnbs. Doesn't change a thing. Borrowed a friends 301 and hooked it up to my system and check switch works fine no problems noted. I wonder how many people have paid for a tech to come to their house and couldn't fix these problems. Last night I tried to ppv a movie and wound up with the error lost sat screen. I called dish, they removed the charge and directed my call to tech support. I had to go through all the normal check switch tests and bs, they then tried to set up a service call which I had to refuse.

Headcancer, is the coax line connected to the receiver coming from a wall plate or through the floor?

Frank whats your signal strength at?

All transponders(not spot beams) at or above 100 Oh incidently mine are connected to a wall plate but have replaced them as well. It will follow the 510's not the 301. As previously stated I have replaced my cable/connectors and Dp34 switch and the lnb's.

Last edited:
Wall plates which have been replaced as well with new barrel connectors. The problems will only affect the 510's. Not the 301 which has been moved around. It follows the 510's.

Van said:
Headcancer, is the coax line connected to the receiver coming from a wall plate or through the floor?

Frank whats your signal strength at?

Actually it is a unbroken feed coming directly from the switch which the cable and switch are located out of sunlight and weather. The cable then goes directly into hole I drilled on side of house and straight to the 508. As I have mentioned before, I had the service tech run a brand new line ran it though my house and to my 508 temporarly and even with the new cable run the problem remained.

Grounding confirmed

Van said:
Are either of your systems grounded such as the coax?

The tech that installed the DP44 ran a green wire from the ground hole on the switch to the faucet next to the install location. All pipes are copper in the house.

Now for testing purposes, he did move the ground to a location on the dish with the same thoery you have I believe. Again no luck with that either.

Remember my other receiver (622) works fine, no channel loss or checkswich errors.

Tech is on the way

Had a call and the tech is coming now instead of Sunday, I will let him sweat it out for a while and see if I can get resolution of some kind.
I will follow up this evening...

headcancer said:
Had a call and the tech is coming now instead of Sunday, I will let him sweat it out for a while and see if I can get resolution of some kind.
I will follow up this evening...
Another tech? How much is this costing you?

That's good. Let us know what he does and if those issues have been resolved. Will be looking for your post tonight after work. If you haven't, look at the "110 problems" thread. 501's,508's and 510's are having similar issues but mainly with 110. I have been of late loosing some transponders odd and even on 119. According to Dishpro on the last page of that thread he indicated that he received software update p309 yesterday and that it seems to have resolved these issues with his receiver.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)