Q/A With DIRECTV.com Chat Rep

What do you think of the DIRECT.com sales chat service.

• Love it.

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Hate it.

Votes: 15 75.0%

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.

directvchatrep

Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
el segundo, ca
Hello,

I am a Rep that takes chats on the DIRECTV.com Site. I am posting here to hopefully clear up the mass of confusion that takes place every day on this project. And answer any questions you may have.

The Chat prompts when you are on the New Customer Page. These reps have "0" system level access and their primary and only purpose is to help new customers learn the basics about DIRECTV, and help them navigate the sign up process to start new service.

These reps can do absolutely nothing for existing customers because they have no system access to make any changes at all, not even looking up your account info. This makes your typical existing customer diatribes of "well, just wondering why I am paying so much but new customers get such a great deal, guess I am going to check out dish newtwork." There is NOTHING the chat rep can do for you. You have wasted your breathe. Call Customer service, thats what they are there for, so stop wasting your time, and the collective frustration of already very tired people in making absurd demands with people who cant do anything in the first place.

If you are thinking of making the switch to DIRECTV, these people can give you lots of great informaiton about the product, but keep these things in mind.
*they cannot re-code the website for you to change the price. There is no price negotiation, the website is programmed the way it is.
*You can't use a friend referral online, you need to call in.
* Reps can't bundle your service with internet on the website. Since every DSL provider charges different rates by zip code, you can bundle DSL on with a customer service rep on the phone after you have signed up for Directv. Price? Don't have access to it, BUT, its going to be cheaper than if you didn't bundle, so sign up and bundle.

I could go on and on. I really want this to be a q/a thread so I can clear up allot of the blindingly stupid things that go on. Remember these are not 'bots' and not people in a call center in india, they are actually incredibly bright 20 somethings in LA that will help you allot if you want to get down to business and sign up for the service. Also remember that 99% of the questions asked are too vague to be answerd, or are information that is clearly on the same page the customer is on.

So lets hear you questions. You guys seem like you are dying for any one from DIRECTV to come here chat with you (i have seen the letters begging), so lets see what I can clear up for you guys.

DIRECTV-Chat-Rep

FYI: My opinions are not the Official Position of DIRECTV and for all you know, this and all other post may be a complete work of fiction.

Hello,

I am a Rep that takes chats on the DIRECTV.com Site. I am posting here to hopefully clear up the mass of confusion that takes place every day on this project. And answer any questions you may have.

The Chat prompts when you are on the New Customer Page. These reps have "0" system level access and their primary and only purpose is to help new customers learn the basics about DIRECTV, and help them navigate the sign up process to start new service.

These reps can do absolutely nothing for existing customers because they have no system access to make any changes at all, not even looking up your account info. This makes your typical existing customer diatribes of "well, just wondering why I am paying so much but new customers get such a great deal, guess I am going to check out dish newtwork." There is NOTHING the chat rep can do for you. You have wasted your breathe. Call Customer service, thats what they are there for, so stop wasting your time, and the collective frustration of already very tired people in making absurd demands with people who cant do anything in the first place.

If you are thinking of making the switch to DIRECTV, these people can give you lots of great informaiton about the product, but keep these things in mind.
*they cannot re-code the website for you to change the price. There is no price negotiation, the website is programmed the way it is.
* Reps can't bundle your service with internet on the website. Since every DSL provider charges different rates by zip code, you can bundle DSL on with a customer service rep on the phone after you have signed up for Directv. Price? Don't have access to it, BUT, its going to be cheaper than if you didn't bundle, so sign up and bundle.

I could go on and on. I really want this to be a q/a thread so I can clear up allot of the blindingly stupid things that go on. Remember these are not 'bots' and not people in a call center in india, they are actually incredibly bright 20 somethings in LA that will help you allot if you want to get down to business and sign up for the service. Also remember that 99% of the questions asked are too vague to be answerd, or are information that is clearly on the same page the customer is on.

So lets hear you questions. You guys seem like you are dying for any one from DIRECTV to come here chat with you (i have seen the letters begging), so lets see what I can clear up for you guys.

DIRECTV-Chat-Rep

FYI: My opinions are not the Official Position of DIRECTV and for all you know, this and all other post may be a complete work of fiction.

Yeah, I think we can tell that you're not a Directv rep when you post up stuff like that.

Hello,

DIRECTV-Chat-Rep

I tell you right now that I think your group is the most useless in the company. But that is not your fault but the company fault. They expect you to help the customers but they dont give you the tools to help . They dont even give you a spork to dig a hole with but a twig and expect you to dig an Olympic size pool with that twig.

I will have say Hate it because your group causes more pain to my agents because you dont have the tools to help out which leads to some crazy wrong answers which leads to frustrated customers and agents. But again I would like to point out that it not the fault of the cyber csr agent but that of the company.

As an installer I have a question for you,

In that half hour of customer education what, in your opinion, should be included? Right now I say..."here is where the batteries go...this is a remote control.......read this book....don't call Directv.....how do I get back on the expressway?"

Joe

stonecold I agree 100%. We are there for sales plain and simple. Current customers come demanding answers. We are under threat of being forced to play csr by statistics. Pretty much punished if we don't, while simultaneously having none of the tools or accurate info to do anything about it. Know that when you get a customer from us with bad information, it was because they refused to accept "please call customer service" and demanded answers. We also get a fare share of customers trying play csr roulette with us, lying and hoping to incite a written answer in their favor. In a sense thats what this post is all about, 'please stop beating the cripple' is what I am asking, there is nothing we can do, so don't make us dance.

Joe Diamond, maybe you could at least show them where the guide is and how to use it, most new customers don't seem to know this, and ask us for channel numbers, hopefully you can help them out. Also I just had service installed at my appt a few weeks ago and the installer was very complete in his training and explanation. Told me and my girl how whole home works, how to navigate through it. I couldn't imagine most installers having your attitude.

Last edited:
stonecold I agree 100%. We are there for sales plain and simple. Current customers come demanding answers. We are under threat of being forced to play csr by statistics. Pretty much punished if we don't, while simultaneously having none of the tools or accurate info to do anything about it. Know that when you get a customer from us with bad information, it was because they refused to accept "please call customer service" and demanded answers. We also get a fare share of customers trying play csr roulette with us, lying and hoping to incite a written answer in their favor. In a sense thats what this post is all about, 'please stop beating the cripple' is what I am asking, there is nothing we can do, so don't make us dance.
They pay you to dance, sell and repeat. Sounds like some education initiative is coming down the pike. If not, it should be.

Joe Diamond, maybe you could at least show them where the guide is and how to use it, most new customers don't seem to know this, and ask us for channel numbers, hopefully you can help them out. Also I just had service installed at my appt a few weeks ago and the installer was very complete in his training and explanation. Told me and my girl how whole home works, how to navigate through it. I couldn't imagine most installers having your attitude.
What is so hard about giving them the channel numbers?
Mr Diamond's comments previously have been crass in this regard. I have never seen any installer on the job act the jerk he likes to portray. If they did they would be told to pack it up and get out of my house. I have only seen respectful and courteous DirecTV people arrive at my place and I feel fortunate to have a relationship with them.

I've been a long time DTV customer (since 2001). In the past couple of years when we got new equipment, the installer always took the time to show me the basics with the new remote. Sure they left an instruction manual, too, but the installer has always taken the time to make sure I knew the basics, both with my HD receiver and then when I got the HD DVR.

Now I think that the chat is only for new customers is sad. I think the chat should be for all customers. The first question being are you a current customer or not -- then assign reps to that customer as appropriate. Some folks prefer to type than to sit on the phone. I know I prefer chat or email to phone anytime the option is available. I'm so glad that I can manage so much of my DTV account online, in any case.

The chat thing is only for people trying to sign up and they get confused

Yeah, I should have said prospective customers instead of new customers which implied that new people signing on would be helped while old-timers would not. So what I meant is that I wish they had a support chat and that having chat only for prospective customers is sad.

So what I meant is that I wish they had a support chat and that having chat only for prospective customers is sad.
I agree. I wish there was a chat option for the current subs

Is the D* chat rep for real? Anyone could sign up on the board and pretend to be a "rep."

exactly ;)
The only thing this person **might** be is actually one of those "chat reps" when you are trying to sign up and a popup says "I'm here to help" thing

But I wouldnt put it past that knowledge wise..

directvchatrep

No amount of explanation will cure the problem.

Some family members are not present. Others bitch because the equipment is different from DISH or some old TV. They don't understand their own equipment and just miss stuff. They want someone to hand hold while they learn over a few months. I am always glad to show the interested customer but tend to pout when someone screws around with my money because some customer complained his system won't work....then discovers he changed the inputs to the TV or a kid changed the channel away from the DirecTv feed.

Most installers grow into my attitude.

Joe

Last edited:
Direct does not want to put out for customer service over chat. Iceberg, you are right. Its not that the chat people DONT want to help you, they cannot because they have access to no tools to assist you with.

Joe Diamond said:
directvchatrep

No amount of explanation will cure the problem.

Some family members are not present. Others bitch because the equipment is different from DISH or some old TV. They don't understand their own equipment and just miss stuff. They want someone to hand hold while they learn over a few months. I am always glad to show the interested customer but tend to pout when someone screws around with my money because some customer complained his system won't work....then discovers he changed the inputs to the TV or a kid changed the channel away from the DirecTv feed.

Most installers grow into my attitude.

Joe

Maybe you need a new job. You would most definitely get asked to leave my house with the attitude you display here.

Maybe you need a new job. You would most definitely get asked to leave my house with the attitude you display here.

You would be surprised. the hardest thing in dealing with the public is being able to reset for the next encounter. I don't wander around grumbling about past encounters except here. New Directv customers need guidance but let Directv provide it. How would you like it if your personal paycheck was reduced a little each time some customer called back for more information. How about being told by your supervisor that you have been screwed but that was done by the payroll department and customer relations doesn't get involved in the actions of other departments. Well, when HSPs and their subcontractors leave town without paying the techs that is the world installers are offered.

The other job is happening. There is a reason for the turnover in techs....but Directv can come up with your function to grease new customer.

I just don't get it.

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)