QQ-Box USB DVB-S Tuner - Unknown Device?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Does anyone know what the difference between the at least 4 different versions of the QQ-box are? Well some are not called QQ-box but appear to be more or less the same thing.
Specifically there is the black and metal coloured ones e.g. eBay ID 250610101331 vs 260581513321, I thought at first may be one of them is just an old photo since there have been several different iterations (common of course with Chinese products) of the QQbox like the one with the broken circuit board. But the seller is selling them under the same account and basically same area (I know sometimes they have multiple e.g. UK, one for US, one for free shipping, one without...) and I asked one of the accounts who stated it was different colour and black is more expensive because it's black (in reality this isn't true since difference in price is made up by difference in shipping) but anyway this suggests they must really send different item otherwise people would complain.
Then there's the DM-04 box e.g. eBay ID 260579639440. This looks very similar to the QQ-box although the box design is slightly different. There's also the black box like 250611208704 which looks like this DM-04 here Video audio grabber|DVBT|ATSC . Presuming the photo is an accurate representation of what you are sent, then it looks like the circuit board may be different, at least the plugs seem to be in a different place. The drivers on the sz site are LME drivers so it seems like this is an LME device.
Similar on DealExtreme of course.
My random guess is perhaps they are made in different factories. Of course perhaps it's just a different box internals are the same (well except for the black DM-04). Or it may be that there are multiple factories making exactly the same thing (i.e. not all things that look like say the QQbox are actually made in the same factory). In any case most people appear to be buying from eBay which I guess means they're buying from shichen78168 and the multiple other accounts (e.g. szsunpc, yongyan168) who uses this website ÉîÛÚÊÐÐÀÓÀÒ«µç×ÓÓÐÏÞ¹«Ë¾
Has anyone ever received one with a LG tuner instead of Sharp? Since the LME site seems to have drivers for the LG tuner. Or is that just something they used to do but moved to Sharp because it's cheaper (I thought I read something like that once but not sure)?

A Charlie Chan Mystery

I have a QQBox 02 version in a silver box and an 05 version in the newer style black box. Both have the same PCB and tuner.

Oh, I thought the other drivers on the LME Download site were for dvb-t and not for dvb-s.

I asked one of the many eBay guys in China what the dif was with all the models and he told me "none"

Hopefully, someone else will post to clear this up.

I have not heard anything from the software engineer at LME so I'll consider the idea of a Linux and updated Windows driver is just not going to happen.

QQbox win7 and DVBdream1.4i

In need of another tuner(s) so I can change the channel while MC7 is recording I decided to dust off one of my QQboxes and see what I could find.

First of all, here is the link to the driver for win7 32 and 64 bit
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-pc-dvb-discussion/191998-qq-box-usb-dvb-s-tuner-12.html#post2075228

Second, DVBdream 1.5 beta 7 has expired. I had to roll back my clock to make anything work since version 1.4i does not work with my Twinhan (non-BDA) nor with QQbox (DBA).

Third, I found my frustration with the QQbox earlier came from bad switches. 99.9% of 4x1 diseqc switches are garbage and they caused very strange and erratic errors with my 4x4 and 4x8 multiswitches. I resolved this by switching to Ecoda 22khz switches and direct connections to my multiswitches.

With my clock rolled back I have the qqbox working fine in win7 64 bit. Now I am searching for a way to make it work with DVBdream 1.4i since 1.5beta7 is now expired for everyone and the new version will no longer be free.

It should be able to work with 2 tuners on the same PC, I havent tried though.
In DVBdream you have to manually select which tuner instance you want to use when the tuner is a QQbox.

If the driver is really bad though, like the obsolete twinhan tuner drivers you have to use if u have a twinhan tuner, you are limited to one twinhan brand tuner per PC. Since the QQbox is bda the driver should be able to support 2 or more.

Since being forced back to DVBdream 1.4i because of the beta timeout bomb hidden inside 1.5, I have been able to get my twinhan card working by copying the DVBdream.exe and guids files overtop of my 1.5 installation. However, the QQbox still will not initialize :(

If anyone knows how to fix this I would appreciate it.

For that guy who wanted 2 QQbox, you need to use DVBdream, DVBlink ($30), and then media center. Or just 2 instances of DVBdream if you dont need media center.

ThisisZAK-

I sent you a private message check your CP.

Welcome to the site!

Please post any progress you make here.

I have a different tuner and software then you have. Sharp 0288 driver.

Hi,

It's been long time since I posted my problem... BTW thank you for your PMs...

So basically, my problem is that my LME PCTV USB DVB-S tuner doesn't work in my laptop, but I tested it the other day in another laptop... and guess what? it worked!!!

But again it stopped working too in the second laptop!:rant:

Seven recognizes it perfectly, and so does Progdvb... but there isn't no signal and there is a constant 8% in strength! and the red Led turns on when plugging the card in... but it shuts down after few seconds!

Can it be broken, and can it be fixed? or is it just some software problem?

Thanks
ThisisZAK

Fix It

Hi,

But again it stopped working too in the second laptop!:rant:

Seven recognizes it perfectly, and so does Progdvb... but there isn't no signal and there is a constant 8% in strength! and the red Led turns on when plugging the card in... but it shuts down after few seconds!

Can it be broken, and can it be fixed? or is it just some software problem?

Thanks
ThisisZAK

Some Black Case QQ Box had a problem caused by the manufacturer grinding down the PCB at the USB end of card. Open yours up and see if you have one like this. If you do clean all the fiberglas dust out of the box and add a strip of electrical tape to the case where the board comes in contact.

Look back a few pages in this thread for more info.

Another QQbox problem is that it just wont tune some channels. The signal is fine and I disabled all switching. Other tuners work fine but QQ just cant tune many channels, seems to be aprox 1/7 that wont work. It looks like it has a marginal signal because it squelches and sometimes gives a flash of the picture.

The problem is caused by L101. This inductor is responsible for making 13/18V power for LNB. If the QQ-box works fine without the enclosure, you have to replace the original coil with 220uH shielded one, rated for at least 0.45A. In my QQ-box i have used TDK-type shielded power inductor like this one http://media.digikey.com/photos/TDK Photos/SLF12565T-221M1R0-H.JPG
Be extremely careful - using wrong type of inductor may lead to overheat and to damage the 34063 DC/DC IC.

The problem is caused by L101. This inductor is responsible for making 13/18V power for LNB. If the QQ-box works fine without the enclosure, you have to replace the original coil with 220uH shielded one, rated for at least 0.45A. In my QQ-box i have used TDK-type shielded power inductor like this one http://media.digikey.com/photos/TDK Photos/SLF12565T-221M1R0-H.JPG
Be extremely careful - using wrong type of inductor may lead to overheat and to damage the 34063 DC/DC IC.

Looks like this would work electrically but not sure if it will fit the PCB.

220uh shielded inductor

Attachments

• kmp_1200lr.pdf
    129.3 KB · Views: 215
I used exactly the same shielded coil as the TDK one on the picture, salvaged from old printer. The coil fits ok, the only problem was that the coil is SMD. I had to solder two smal pieces of wire in order to solder the coil in place.:up

I used exactly the same shielded coil as the TDK one on the picture, salvaged from old printer. The coil fits ok, the only problem was that the coil is SMD. I had to solder two smal pieces of wire in order to solder the coil in place.:up

Issue for me is that parts are smt and so small that you have to hold them with tweezers and often they go flying away. :eek:

Issue for me is that replacement parts are smt and so very small you have to place them with tweezers and often they go flying away.:eek:

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]If your QQ-box is connected directly to the LNB (without motor, etc.), the current consumption is not likely to be greater than 100-150ma max. In that case you can try with smaller inductor, rated for 0.29A. :rolleyes:
[/FONT]

Attachments

• 0900766b80816445.pdf
    37.2 KB · Views: 215
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]If your QQ-box is connected directly to the LNB (without motor, etc.), the current consumption is not likely to be greater than 100-150ma max. In that case you can try with smaller inductor, rated for 0.29A. :rolleyes:[/FONT]

Well, they never fixed the software so it would drive Diseqc 1.2 devices so the motor is out. I gave their software engineer all the info. to implement that and USALS but they couldn't get the job done. They where to make a Linux driver too.:mad::mad::mad:

However, with their driver it goes into a fault condition with some lnbf that cause a major current draw so be careful what current rateing to select.

What country are you located in? Ku or C band?

Well, they never fixed the software so it would drive Diseqc 1.2 devices so the motor is out. I gave their software engineer all the info. to implement that and USALS but they couldn't get the job done. They where to make a Linux driver too.:mad::mad::mad:

However, with their driver it goes into a fault condition with some lnbf that cause a major current draw so be careful what current rateing to select.

What country are you located in? Ku or C band?

There is experimental linux driver (part of the v4l). It recognizes the box in cold state, uploads the firmware, but it does not (yet) recognizes the frontend. You can find the driver here. I live in Finland, and my dish setup is Ku :)

Hi Ravcho...thanks for linux info. Am in UK on Ku band.

Bought one of these gadgets off ebay last week and joined the forums after reading 1Adam 12's saga which started nearly a year ago. You saved me a lot of time, Adam. Although my device is not QQ box it is similar - stripped to reveal a Sharp front-end etc..

Using the same driver you had success with I was able to set it up in Windows 7 64 (in the x86 folder of course) and then tune it with every bit of software I could lay hands on!

Idea is it will run on my laptop whuch has an HD o/p; it's doing so, but I want to beef up the psu for the laptop before getting down to serious mayhem.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

nfusion receiver doa

How many 'steps' in one degree of movement?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)