Quad Core Processors

After i7 and upcoming i5 core and platform, the quads looks pale and as second hand. I'm classified the line as fading out family of CPUs and good enough for not latest PCs/OSs/programs/games - ie sufficient for background PCs with supporting tasks.

After i7 and upcoming i5 core and platform, the quads looks pale and as second hand. I'm classified the line as fading out family of CPUs and good enough for not latest PCs/OSs/programs/games - ie sufficient for background PCs with supporting tasks.

Not everybody has to have the latest and greatest processors. The quad core I have from Dell is extremely fast for what I want to do with it. Since Don is not a gamer, it would seem now is the perfect time to buy a quad-core; he'll get a good price for one.

I push mine with SPSS 17, Office 2007, QDA Miner, AskSam, Firefox with multiple tabs, dreamweaver, and itunes, all at the same time, and it works like a champ. I have a Dell Studio 540 with an Core 2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz, with 6.0GB running Vista 64 Premium.

Usually, the type of a request always coming to one last question - how much you want to spend for a PC of your preference.

If you're just kicking tires - follow by latest and greatest inventions on the market from both competitors: Intel and AMD, nVidia and ATI [AMD].

Mr. Smith is correct. I traded my Intel Quad for the I 7 because I do video editing of my home movies. The I 7 is faster for that but otherwise my Quad worked just fine for most apps. Just look at price vs feature you want.

Don- I bought this base machine from HP as a starter point to do Blu Ray burning and FULL HD editing 1080x1920 AVCHD.
It is the HP m9280f model. It uses a Q9300 processor which is considerably less money but then I custom expanded it for the BluRay performance with 8GB ram, a Panasonic BluRay 4x burner. The machine comes with a BR/HDDVD player-DVD burner. Then I added extra 1Tb drives for a 3x Raid array for speed. Finally it required a new PS for 900watts. I was able to get this similar package for under $3200 while the similar system with a Q9600 and appropraie ram from Dell was $9000. The performance with the Raid upgrade allows me to edit AVCHD of two simultaneous streams in real time with transition effects in Sony Vegas 64 bit version at full 29.97 FPS.
To save money you may consider what I did by starting with a low cost package and then upgrading it.

Not everybody has to have the latest and greatest processors. The quad core I have from Dell is extremely fast for what I want to do with it. Since Don is not a gamer, it would seem now is the perfect time to buy a quad-core; he'll get a good price for one.

I push mine with SPSS 17, Office 2007, QDA Miner, AskSam, Firefox with multiple tabs, dreamweaver, and itunes, all at the same time, and it works like a champ. I have a Dell Studio 540 with an Core 2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz, with 6.0GB running Vista 64 Premium.

True about the games, but for videos the i7 is a beast at reencoding.

Ordered this with the frequently bought items through the SatelliteGuys Store... [ame="http://www.amazon.com/LG-GGW-H20L-Super-Multi-Blue/dp/B000Y1AFCS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=pc&qid=1245258044&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: LG GGW-H20L Super Multi Blue - Blu-ray Disc Burner / HD DVD-ROM Drive w/ Lightscribe - 6x2x6x/3x - Serial?@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/411wkN9a3fL.@@AMEPARAM@@411wkN9a3fL[/ame]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)