QualiTV HD Setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SomeRandomIdiot

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 8, 2009
USA
I would have posted this to the QualiTV thread under the Equipment Review, but the thread has not been posted to in 6 months and thus the system will not let me.

Picked up a QualiTV unit recently and was trying to install it. Powered it, working on running the RG6 to it, so no lnb connected yet.

Despite going through all the menus, I cannot get the unit to do 60hz or find the menu setting for it. The menu shows it is doing 1080i-50, but i can find no way to change it to 1080i-60.

I have a later model Sony and apparently it does not want to display a 1080i-50 input (or even 720p-50 either), showing only a blank screen.

I have run the QualiTV through an external processor that will accept 1080i-50 input and I am converting it to 1080p60 output. However, even the processor is warning me that this will introduce judder.

So, how do I change the QualiTV from 50 fields per second to 60?

v-format button will change it. Its right above the red button

you have to push it a few times to cycle through the 50 & 60 inputs

I know even after a master reset I can still do it on my Q through a DVI-HDMI cable but you have to watch the receiver display ;)

if you have older firmware, you have to update it first through the serial port. The older firmware is pal only and will only do 50hz.

if you have older firmware, you have to update it first through the serial port. The older firmware is pal only and will only do 50hz.

I suspect that is my issue, However, I am continuing to have an issue.

I have downloaded the Loader and Firmware.

I have verified the pin layout is correct per the pdf - using an ohm meter. I know the com port is correct as I have connected to 2 other serial devices with it.

When I start the .exe, I get an error "unable to connect to open com port" (win error 2).

I have followed the instructions on the PDF (attached) to the letter, except for #6 which does not show as stated on the current loader. However, I have been able to figure out the procedure from undocumented icons to put it in Loader V3 mode.

I plug the unit in, but no joy - it will not update.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Download_instructions_QS_C_series_V1_2.pdf
    56.6 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
UPDATE. I've tried a second computer. Different Com Port. No error when opening the .exe file. However, QualiTV still will not update.

Beginning to think i have a bad unit.

Confirm your Com Port:
Control Panel
System
Hardware Tab
Device Manager
Ports (Com & LPT)
What Com Ports are listed? (for me, it's Com 5 on my laptop)

Unplug the power cored from the Quali, needs to be unplugged for a few minutes before uploading new firmware.

Start the Loader Program
Use "Switch Mode" to set to "Loader V3 Host"
Under "File" select "Open Download File" and navigate to where you stored the new firmware, and select "QS1080IR_SV316.sdl"
Double check Loader settings
Now plug in the Power Cord, download should start automatically.

Attachments

• QLoader.JPG
    QLoader.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 168
Confirm your Com Port:
Control Panel
System
Hardware Tab
Device Manager
Ports (Com & LPT)
What Com Ports are listed? (for me, it's Com 5 on my laptop)

Unplug the power cored from the Quali, needs to be unplugged for a few minutes before uploading new firmware.

Start the Loader Program
Use "Switch Mode" to set to "Loader V3 Host"
Under "File" select "Open Download File" and navigate to where you stored the new firmware, and select "QS1080IR_SV316.sdl"
Double check Loader settings
Now plug in the Power Cord, download should start automatically.

Thanks, but everything you have noted i attempted yesterday.

On my laptop, its COM 8 where I get the error when I start the .exe, although COM8 works for 2 other devices when I attempt to connect to them via serial port.

On my desktop computer, its COM 1. I do not get the error when I start the .exe on it.

All settings are exactly as you show and the unit ignores the update when power is applied, even after being unplugged for an hour.

As noted the pin configuration listed in the pdf has also been verified by an ohm meter.

Appears I have a bad unit that will not take an update and so it will not do the 60 field American Standard :(

Last edited:
what software version is in yours?

I'd like to know that also.

SRI, is your unit one of the ones that recently came over from England? I just got one of those about a month ago, not sure what my firmware version is, but I didn't do any updates to mine. Just plugged it in (after I stole a "figure 8"-type cord from my laptop) and hit the V format button until I could see something on the screen.

I've not used it a lot but have had no trouble getting whatever 4:2:0 & 4:2:2 HD feeds that I have attempted, and the video settings have stayed "defaulted" to NTSC....that is I haven't had to go back and press the V format button to switch it from PAL, again.

Iceberg, what version # firmware is in your Q's, have you ever upgraded, and where do you go in the menu structure to see what version you have? :confused:

3.16 is the most current

how to see

menu
profile (hit OK)
IRD (hit ok)
decoder (hit OK)

bottom left corner shows it...it will say SV 3.16

3.16 is the most current

how to see

menu
profile (hit OK)
IRD (hit ok)
decoder (hit OK)

bottom left corner shows it...it will say SV 3.16

Thanks Ice, with your instruction I found it.

I have SV 2.76 in mine, and have no problems using it with NTSC. I was looking at the firmware upgrade release note and see that there have been several versions since the 2.76, it looks like 3.18 was the last.

I have Firmware 2.76 and yes, I can hit v and scroll through 576.720,1080 and PAL, however, it is ALL -50hz, not 60hz.

That I cannot update the firmware gives me pause regardless if it gives me a 60hz output or not.

memory is foogy right now but

menu
install
channel scan (middle one)

yellow button flips between diseqc 1.0 & diseqc 1.2

diseqc 1.0 shows

I use "satellite 1,2,3,4" as the options. 1 is diseqc port 1, 2 is diseqc 2, etc

LNB setting would be 5150

On my QualiTV I have (1) C-Band LNB connected up to DISEqC Port 1 as Horizontal and (1) C-Band LNB connected up to DISEqC Port 2 as Vertical - using this Slave Kit off my 4DTV unit as follows:

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Accessories/Dishes/Bud-slave.htm

Under the LNB type in the QualiTV settings, I am given the option for Universal, Dual1, Dual2, One Cable, 5150,9750, 10700,10750, 11300 and 0.

I intend to put on the KuBand on Position 3 and 4 once I get the C-Band working properly.

So, which option do I use for the LNB

EDIT: Reading above it appears I use 5150.

Do I use DISEqC 1.0 or 1.2?

1.0 has the menu you speak of.

Ok...at least up and running, but I am getting no output over DVI > HDMI cable at 720p or 1080i. I've tried both RGB and YPbPr. It works via the 3 component cables, but not DVI. Is this a known issue?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)