Quality coax splitters

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TRG

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 19, 2007
Albuquerque, NM
Hi guys. I get all my locals except for one low power station that is hit or miss. My outdoor Winegard HD7694 (nice antenna) runs into a four way splitter and feeds three TV's in my home. The fourth tap is not used. When I remove the splitter and feed the signal to just one TV the signal from the low power sation jumps up a sizable amount. When I bought my house it was wired for cable. The coax runs are high quality RG6 quad shield so I decided to use it for my OTA antenna needs.

Here's my question. The splitter looks kind of cheap and I'd like to try something a little better quality. Does anyone here prefer one brand over another? Since I don't need more than three taps I'll likely go with a three way. I'm guessing that the better splitters have lower insertion loss specs.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
A little knowledge, your problem is a 4 way splitter!!!!!!!!!!! A 4way splitter removes 7dB of signal or in simpler words sends less than 1/4th the signal out each port wether it is connected or not. Run that antenna line into the house and connect at least a 15dB UHF/VHF amplifier to it then send that signal back to the 4 way splitter, all 3 lines should have a stronger signal.
:)

You may not need an amplifier at all if you're getting all the stations you want. The problem with your 4-way splitter is that the unused F-connector is leaking signals, needlessly lowering the signal strength available at the other three taps. Installing a three-way splitter will solve this issue. So will attaching a coax terminator (like this one) to the currently unused tap. If you replace the splitter, you only need to verify the one you buy is rated up to 1000 MHz so that it covers the entire UHF band. Splitters are pretty simple devices, so brand doesn't matter much.

You may not need an amplifier at all if you're getting all the stations you want. The problem with your 4-way splitter is that the unused F-connector is leaking signals, needlessly lowering the signal strength available at the other three taps. Installing a three-way splitter will solve this issue. So will attaching a coax terminator (like this one) to the currently unused tap. If you replace the splitter, you only need to verify the one you buy is rated up to 1000 MHz so that it covers the entire UHF band. Splitters are pretty simple devices, so brand doesn't matter much.

I forgot to mention that the fourth tap is terminated. :eek: I get all of the signals I want except for one. That station is broadcasting at much lower power than the rest. I talked to the station manager and he said that the low power is due to some interference problems with an adjacent channel that they are working out. This all may be moot if they figure out what the problem is and turn the power back up.

At this time I'm unable to use a powered amplifier or distribution setup. Reason being that there is no power anywhere near the splitter location. I may switch to a two way splitter temporarily. The two way has less attenuation. My third TV doesn't get used all that much and can get most of the channels with rabbit ears.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts