Quest for my first flat panel

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Randamin

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 8, 2011
South Texas
This holiday I am planning to purchase my first flat screen for a bedroom. The size could be either a 26' or a 32'. I have so far been careful to try and choose the best option but there have been some concerns along the way.

One of those concerns is having difficulty finding a flat screen with an s-video input. I'm not sure why this would the case considering it does have composite input but there are no s-video input. I expect some responces to be of why not use component instead well because these many older game systems do not have a component output and not to mention a s-vhs vcr.

Hopefully someone can recommend a particular flat screen that meets these specifications if not then I might as well settle for one that does not.

I think it's time to digitize your old VHS an S-VHS recordings, while it is still possible. It will be more and more difficult to do as time goes by. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I think it's time to digitize your old VHS an S-VHS recordings, while it is still possible. It will be more and more difficult to do as time goes by. ;)

I don't even have an S-VHS VCR it was only an example of a device which outputs s-video. All of my home VHS recordings are digitized on an external hard drive.

If this is the type of responses this topic will get then I could deal with the choice myself and not worry if the particular flat panel I want has s-video or not

Last edited:
Sorry if you didn't like my reply, I was just trying to help.
My point is, that S-video is an obsolete interface, it will be very difficult to find a new TV set that still supports it. Composite video is obsolete too. But since it was much more popular than S-video, and since most S-video equipped components had composite video too, many TV sets still have composite inputs for legacy components. A few years from now that interface might be gone too.

Svideo is only marginally better than composite. And there are adapters with both those ends.

Having said this, I can understand wanting to retain tape playback in your next setup. Just use a receiver.
Although not as popular as composite, it is easier to find an AVR with svideo input than a TV.

Diogen.

I think Vizio still makes some LCD sets with S-video. Not sure if they are easy to find though.

I think Vizio still makes some LCD sets with S-video. Not sure if they are easy to find though.

Good tip I was able to find a 26" Vizio LCD with an S-video input at W*.

This still does not mean it is an instant choice after all I need to consider other choices such as the overscan/underscan settings. Such as in the Toshiba they have a native mode that displays HD signals on a 1:1 ratio and not zoomed in. This is perfect for using as a computer monitor since none of my desktop is cut off as it should be.

Just another tip. At 32" or less, you would really only need a 720p set which would save you some money.

S-video and component are disappearing fast. I expect that within a handful of years, both will be of very little utility outside those who are defiant in their clinging to classic gaming consoles, S-VHS, Hi-8 or Laserdisc.

Looking for a TV with S-video is kind of like using the availability of a factory cassette tape player as a criterion for buying a new car.

Component connection is going away too due to the Analog Sunset.
Starting this year, Blu-ray players are no longer allowed to output HD over component interface and by 2013 they are not supposed to have component output at all...

Welcome to the Digital Age! :D

But we are talking TV's not Blu-Ray Players. I think it will be awhile before manufacturers decide to Completely remove them from all TV's.

Anyone know of a good website for comparing TV features, or searching by feature (number/type of inputs, refresh rate, LCD/LED, contrast ratio, etc)?

tnsprin said:
But we are talking TV's not Blu-Ray Players. I think it will be awhile before manufacturers decide to Completely remove them from all TV's.

The writing is on the wall though.

dare2be said:
Anyone know of a good website for comparing TV features, or searching by feature (number/type of inputs, refresh rate, LCD/LED, contrast ratio, etc)?

Some on-line stores offer feature comparison tables, but they are not fully searchable. Good question! If you find a good website like that, let us know.

S-video inputs disappeared at just about the same time that DVD players and recorders moved to the clearance tables. The same is likely to happen with component as DRM makes it difficult or impossible to use.

Some on-line stores offer feature comparison tables, but they are not fully searchable. Good question! If you find a good website like that, let us know.
Often that information isn't even available unless you lay hands on one. The new era of "one size fits all manuals", you're lucky to find a spec page that lists such information.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)