Question about 31" for FTA vs 4DTV BUD

Status
Please reply by conversation.
That works!

Tron said:
Thanks! Might try that route...
The only problem is that a Winegard 76cm only costs about $80 after shipping, so I'm not sure if sending it off would be cost-effective unless it could be done locally. I could still strip off the old paint and hit it with a coat of primer, though...

A good primer (suggest Rustolium) and spray paint would work fine

The jell, primer, and painting is the cheapest approach and will work fine! (Powdercoating is expensive, but the ultimate!)

I have to do a bit of jell work and touch up on my 8 footer as well this spring.

regards
Jeff

Then two coats of finish paint. If you keep an eye on it and paint it when it needs it then it should last a long time. I think anything outside should be painted on a schedule. Prep work can take a long time if the paint is too far gone.

So what is the best paint to use on a dish?

Tron said:
Thanks! Might try that route...
The only problem is that a Winegard 76cm only costs about $80 after shipping, so I'm not sure if sending it off would be cost-effective unless it could be done locally. I could still strip off the old paint and hit it with a coat of primer, though...

I just finished painting my 36" dish that I found with grey primer. It looks okay, but with the primer it is difficult to get an even coat. I also painted the SG-2100 dish shaft, bracket (after drilling it out to 3/8"), and clamps (after drilling them out as well).

I've already re-mounted the motor on my NPRM, and the changes are astounding. The new 3/8" zinc square U-bolts from ACE hardware secure the bracket much better than the ones supplied with it. The paint job on the bracket and clamps looks really nice. Hopefully I won't see any more rust on the holes or bolts... I'll post pics of the whole setup once it's done :)

One trick I've used for years to get spray paint to look better is to put the can in a pot of warm water for 20 minues before I use it.

It makes it thinner so you have to make sure not to spray it too heavy or you get runs, but a little practice and you get a much better finish. Same tricks works for polyurethane on furniture.

Interesting...

Katrinasucks said:
One trick I've used for years to get spray paint to look better is to put the can in a pot of warm water for 20 minues before I use it.

It makes it thinner so you have to make sure not to spray it too heavy or you get runs, but a little practice and you get a much better finish. Same tricks works for polyurethane on furniture.

I am considering redoing my 8 ft dish this spring...will be a pain with all the little holes though! The only spots of rust are at the weld joints and the Buttonhook arm (not too bad either...surface rust)

If I do, I will try your idea. My Wagner sprayer uses some type of paint "conditioner" so that heavier paints can get thru the nozzel! have to look for an auto paint that gets close to the old Wingard Grey, and then match it so I can get a gallon or so!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)