Question about 97w and signal strenth 33" dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

beatle0974

Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Hey guy's

After a year off, I finally got around to setting up my dish.
33" dish
single linear lnb
Viewsat xtreme receiver

I managed to pull in 97w, and tweaked it as much as possible. Played around with trying to get it working as best I could, but still, my signal is quite weak, and some transponders don't come in at all.

From what I read, 12152 would be one of the stronger, but for me, I don't see it at all. I actually tried two different receivers, and two different LNB's for the heck of it. Or do i have some other problem, considering I can't get one of the stronger transponders.

My real question is, could it be the size of the dish? Would my going to a 36 or 39 inch dish help me in this setup? I love in the Ottawa area (ottawa ontario canada)

Thanks!
Beatle

Last edited:
The 33" dish is not optimal, but adequate for reception of G19 in your region in all but extreme weather conditions. A 36 or 39" dish would provide more reliable reception and higher Signal Quality readings.

Have you performed a string test on the reflector to be sure the dish is not bent or warped?

Hi, don't know why but for me (down south - central Florida) 12152 with Al Jazeera English on it has been very weak for me for at least a month. Other TP on this bird are fine. I'm only running a 30 inch dish but in the past that TP was very solid on this small dish but not now. If you are running a fixed dish without a motor make sure you tweak the skew. When working on my fixed dishes I like to get it locked on a strong TP then loosen the screws that hold the LNB and move it in and out and twist it left and right to peak the last little bit out of the signal. Then maybe repeak the dish. Hope this helps, DC

HI AV,

I've not done of the test you speak of, I'll look into that. Not even sure what it is :)
I'm probably just going to invest in a larger dish, and try to improve on the signal.

Delta,

I was hoping to hit a few of the English news channels on there, such as AljazeeraE and NewsRussia, so I was kinda bummed by missing out on that transponder. But Id say I'm missing a considerable amount of transponders, so it must be reception. Weather was blue sky all day yesterday, so that why i suspect the dish.

Now to hunt down a dish

Even with a larger dish you will have to adjust the skew and the fore-aft LNBF position.
I've not done of the test you speak of, I'll look into that. Not even sure what it is :)
Skew - Twisting the LNBF in the holder, CW if the sat is east of you, CCW if west.(when looking at the face of the dish) Must be done on all fixed dishes. A motorized or polar mounted dish will do it automatically. Fore-aft (closer or further from the face of the dish) adjusts the Focal point. I'd see what my 30 inch is doing on the AJE TP, but currently watching something else. I do know it was coming in fine a couple of hours ago. :)-/

I did did try adjusting the skew/focal point on the dish. But still get limited transponders. Clear line of sight too, no trees at all. I'm suspecting i may just have a warped dish. Starting to think I may just have a 30" dish :) I'll go measure it tonight

Beatle

Even with a larger dish you will have to adjust the skew and the fore-aft LNBF position.

Skew - Twisting the LNBF in the holder, CW if the sat is east of you, CCW if west.(when looking at the face of the dish) Must be done on all fixed dishes. A motorized or polar mounted dish will do it automatically. Fore-aft (closer or further from the face of the dish) adjusts the Focal point. I'd see what my 30 inch is doing on the AJE TP, but currently watching something else. I do know it was coming in fine a couple of hours ago. :)-/

This is the hardest transponder to tune in on 97W. Conversations that I had with others on here and the guy that is in charge of Glorystar hardware sales has led me to believe that you need a larger dish to tune in that particular transponder. The reason for this is due to the face that there is a neighboring satellite using the same frequency 12152. This is causing interference.

A larger dish not only gives you more gain but also helps reject interference from neighboring satellites by focusing in on the particular satellite you are trying to lock onto. I think I had to have 48" dish for 12152 which is the size of dish that Glorystar dealers sell.

if your dish is not bent or warped, and it is properly aimed, you should be able to view all channels and TPs with a 33 inch dish in your area....

From personal experience I need a 36" dish to receive that particular transponder. The signal is a little weak but quite stable even when the weather is rainy or clouded over.

Stargazer said:
Conversations that I had with others on here and the guy that is in charge of Glorystar hardware sales has led me to believe that you need a larger dish to tune in that particular transponder. The reason for this is due to the face that there is a neighboring satellite using the same frequency 12152. This is causing interference.

I believe that there is confusion about the transponder information and recommendations by GloryStar.

12152 does not have any adjacent satellite interference; but instead, 11842 does experience interference from 95W and benefits from a 2 degree compliant dish. 12152 is actually recommended by Glorystar for locating G19 as it is typically strong transponder and will not give false locks when the LNBF skew is properly set.

If the op has a 30" dish, I would expect problems reliably receiving several G19 transponders.

Beatle, I´m in northern Mexico and in the same eirp as you should be (per satstar). I´ve got 97w on a 30" and am getting pretty much all tps on my pansat 3500 with around 55%Q. AJE and RT are coming in just fine (12150H 20000 on my box). Could your stb be the problem? Good luck.

I am receiving 12152 just fine here in the Chicago area. My sonicview is reporting it as 12152H 19999 3/4 for lock. I am using a 30/33 inch winegard 2076 that is motorized. The Sonicview reports a Signal of 63-64 and a Quality of 27-30, but the Q meters are rather subjective on FTA receivers.

I believe that there is confusion about the transponder information and recommendations by GloryStar.

12152 does not have any adjacent satellite interference; but instead, 11842 does experience interference from 95W and benefits from a 2 degree compliant dish. 12152 is actually recommended by Glorystar for locating G19 as it is typically strong transponder and will not give false locks when the LNBF skew is properly set.

If the op has a 30" dish, I would expect problems reliably receiving several G19 transponders.

Your right, it is transponder 11842, not 12152. I got those two mixed up thinking it was the weaker one but it is the stronger one. It has been a year since I tuned in a Glorystar signal. I have been able to get 12152 with a smaller dish (around 36 inches - SuperDish / Primestar Dish). 11842 required the larger dish.

Maybe the STB (receiver) has an issue as mentioned by the previous poster. Do you have another one that you can borrow / try out to make sure that is not an issue? Maybe try another coax wire? Another reflector?

I get the same S and Q on 11842. The Sonicview reports this one as 11842H 22000 3/4 and the S and Q are 62-64 and 25-27 respectively. 97w is not quite my True South bird here but it is really close. I am using an Invacom LNB, which might account for my ability to lock on the 30/33 inch winegard.

I just installed at home (Toronto) a fixed Starchoice 60E dish por 97W and 101W and I counted easily over 200 channels on 97W on a viewsat blind scan. AJE/RT TP on the 24" round dish motorised was pixeleating though, even on a clear evening. This is an elliptical 60cm equivalent dish (channel master made) that gets better CNR than the motorised 60 cm Eagle star round dish but CNR are at less than 7 dB on 101W and less than 5 dB on 97W therefore I guess just big clouds will take the signal down. A 33" should do the job from Ottawa if properly skewed/peaked but I agree than 90 cm is better to minimize rain fade. When it rains more likely people try to watch tv.

Thank everyone for your responses. Unfortunately, I only have two VS2000 Xtremes that were given to me, but I will be borrowing a VSPRO to see if it will yield different results. Wish I had a different brand to try. I still think the issue is most likely my dish, either it be warped or too small. But i'll try everything I can before dumping unnecessary cash into it.

Thank everyone for your responses. Unfortunately, I only have two VS2000 Xtremes that were given to me, but I will be borrowing a VSPRO to see if it will yield different results. Wish I had a different brand to try. I still think the issue is most likely my dish, either it be warped or too small. But i'll try everything I can before dumping unnecessary cash into it.

Hi, run the string test as advised earlier in this thread. All it is really is taking some string and running it across the rim of the dish (pull it tight and tape it in place) then take another piece and cross the first string. See if there is any gap. Also make sure the second string is not hitting the first, if you think it is run it under the first string and check again for any gap. That should let you know if the dish is bent. Hope this helps, DC

Hey Guy's,

Well, I think I have found my problem. I took a measuring tape out to the dish, went from left to right, and seems I only have a 30" dish (i measured with the tape tight from left to right) This probably explains my signal issues. Can anyone confirm that I'm measuring the dish correctly? I'm going for a 36" next week.

That's the place to measure. Could be that your 30' dish isn't formed accurately, May not be warped, but if the shape isn't right, less gain and more susceptibility to adjacent satellite interference resulting in lower performance. (there are some cheap ones out there) Get a quality 36 inch, and I think you'll see a great improvement. BTW- My little(ex-commercial) Channel Master is 30.5(H) x 32.5(V) inches,. 11842 H 22000 =Q 67-70. 12152 H 20000 =Q 72-74, Got a generic 10 buck LNBF on it, DMS diseqc switch and GBox inline to the Openbox S9.

Status
Please reply by conversation.