Question about actuator.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

kb2kir

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 18, 2007
Norwich, NY
Hi, Folks.... I have what I believe is a Thompson Saginaw actuator (very heavy duty!) I'd like to use, but it has a potentiometer instead of a pulse generator feedback system. This will not work with my VboxV. Any way to convert this unit to a pulse type ? Some sort of universal kit maybe? This is helpful: there is no model# on or inside the unit!

joe
i will go out here on a limb and say yes there is

first if you want to tinker... the v-box might receive sensor (reports) back from the pot device
so you might try hooking up two of the wires and see if it will report counts to the v-box.
just which way , i don't know .... is there a schematic inside the Thompson Saginaw ? that would really help to see what wires goto what :) are there three wires ? a red white & black?

a picture of the current sensor would be nice

i suspect you could convert the pot sensor to a reed type sensor pretty easy you would just need to make up a kit of a magnet wheel and a reed sensor and figure a way to mount them.

joe
could you tell (if the motor matches the one you have) if i found a picture of the actuator back... i know in one of the manuals there are several motors listed...

EDIT : From the schematic listed in one of the manuals for the thompson saganaw arm that terminal #6 is +5 volts #5 terminal is pulse and #4 terminal is ground.

I know skyvision list a conversion kit for thompson saganaw arms but don't know what it involves. but it shows a magnet wheel, sensor and some screws

Last edited:
Checked out the Skyvision site...
A bit pricey, although it looks like what I need. I need to get it ordered....
The original was a helically wound, multi-turn potentiometer.
So no good for the VboxV.
Thanks George !!

if you can tell how the magnet wheel connects up i have a broken actuator with a good wheel (just like in the kit) i just don't have a lot of time to try to repair a sensor this week (and i don't have a sensor like it shows in the kit), but i think i have all the parts to make a kit and get it to work for about $1. that was what i was thinking when i started research on these switches to build a few at reasonable cost for us hobbiest. it would be nice to be able to rig up something to work.

i know your in a hurry to get it ordered and get it to working

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts