Question about actuator.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kb2kir

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 18, 2007
Norwich, NY
Hi, Folks.... I have what I believe is a Thompson Saginaw actuator (very heavy duty!) I'd like to use, but it has a potentiometer instead of a pulse generator feedback system. This will not work with my VboxV. Any way to convert this unit to a pulse type ? Some sort of universal kit maybe? This is helpful: there is no model# on or inside the unit!

joe
i will go out here on a limb and say yes there is

first if you want to tinker... the v-box might receive sensor (reports) back from the pot device
so you might try hooking up two of the wires and see if it will report counts to the v-box.
just which way , i don't know .... is there a schematic inside the Thompson Saginaw ? that would really help to see what wires goto what :) are there three wires ? a red white & black?

a picture of the current sensor would be nice

i suspect you could convert the pot sensor to a reed type sensor pretty easy you would just need to make up a kit of a magnet wheel and a reed sensor and figure a way to mount them.

joe
could you tell (if the motor matches the one you have) if i found a picture of the actuator back... i know in one of the manuals there are several motors listed...

EDIT : From the schematic listed in one of the manuals for the thompson saganaw arm that terminal #6 is +5 volts #5 terminal is pulse and #4 terminal is ground.

I know skyvision list a conversion kit for thompson saganaw arms but don't know what it involves. but it shows a magnet wheel, sensor and some screws

Last edited:
Checked out the Skyvision site...
A bit pricey, although it looks like what I need. I need to get it ordered....
The original was a helically wound, multi-turn potentiometer.
So no good for the VboxV.
Thanks George !!

if you can tell how the magnet wheel connects up i have a broken actuator with a good wheel (just like in the kit) i just don't have a lot of time to try to repair a sensor this week (and i don't have a sensor like it shows in the kit), but i think i have all the parts to make a kit and get it to work for about $1. that was what i was thinking when i started research on these switches to build a few at reasonable cost for us hobbiest. it would be nice to be able to rig up something to work.

i know your in a hurry to get it ordered and get it to working

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts