Question about AMC-6 (Rainbow-2)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

lilyarbie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 5, 2005
I was wondering how Voom is going to add Rainbow 2 to their satellite service if the service stays running and a deal is made to keep programming on Rainbow-1. Since the Lnb on Voom dishes are DSS lnbs that are on a circular polarization for Rainbow-1 being a circular polarization satellite, how can they enable the dishes to receive the AMC-6 (rainbow-2) transponders since all of them are on a linear polarization? I know a wider dish would be able to take in the footprints of both Rainbow-1 and AMC-6, but wouldn't an additional separate LNB be required to get programming on AMC-6 (rainbow-2)? Is there an LNB that can do dual mode polarization dual LNB? Not dual LNB which allows two receivers to be hooked up and does one set of polarizations (circular only or linear only) but one that can do both circular and linear polarization and be able to hook up 2 or more receivers.

lilyarbie said:
I was wondering how Voom is going to add Rainbow 2 to their satellite service if the service stays running and a deal is made to keep programming on Rainbow-1. Since the Lnb on Voom dishes are DSS lnbs that are on a circular polarization for Rainbow-1 being a circular polarization satellite, how can they enable the dishes to receive the AMC-6 (rainbow-2) transponders since all of them are on a linear polarization? I know a wider dish would be able to take in the footprints of both Rainbow-1 and AMC-6, but wouldn't an additional separate LNB be required to get programming on AMC-6 (rainbow-2)? Is there an LNB that can do dual mode polarization dual LNB? Not dual LNB which allows two receivers to be hooked up and does one set of polarizations (circular only or linear only) but one that can do both circular and linear polarization and be able to hook up 2 or more receivers.
Ok first of all AMC6 requires a dish to be atleast 30" even by itself. So if my antenna is looking at both of the sats it only needs to be between 30" to 36". Also, voom may no longer have rainbow1 depending upon fcc approval so either way everyone will have to get new dishes regardless the outcome. Yes in addition to the size of the dish we will need new lnbs. What Voom will do if they loose rainbow2 is they will either create a test stream or simulcast all channels on rainbow1 on rainbow2 so that when you get the new antenna it'll be looking at rainbow2 and receiving all channels. Once everyone is on the new dishes they'll cease transmition from rain...1 and that's it. You never lost your service or your channels during this transition.

Whatever They Do...

I sure as heck hope that they get Rainbow-2 up and running quickly. I had a Voom install appointment on Tuesday and try as he might, the poor installer couldn't even come close to pulling a signal from Rainbow-1, even with a 5 foot extension on the mast.

With Rainbow-2 due to be more centrally located (101 is the slot, right?) it'll be in a spot that myself and other people on the west coast who don't live on completely flat, arid land can actually see. As soon as that happens, I'm calling them back and getting an installer out ASAP.

EvilEuro

EvilEuro said:
I sure as heck hope that they get Rainbow-2 up and running quickly. I had a Voom install appointment on Tuesday and try as he might, the poor installer couldn't even come close to pulling a signal from Rainbow-1, even with a 5 foot extension on the mast.

With Rainbow-2 due to be more centrally located (101 is the slot, right?) it'll be in a spot that myself and other people on the west coast who don't live on completely flat, arid land can actually see. As soon as that happens, I'm calling them back and getting an installer out ASAP.

EvilEuro
Actually the rainbow 2 is located at the 72 degree location. I don't understand why you weren't able to receive a siginal from your location. However though, if/when everything is moved to rainbow 2 your chances of catching/keeping a signal will be greatly increased.

Rainbow 2 is at 72...same as AMC6

It is easily possible to have a 30" dish with 72 and 61.5 on it....it will probably be an oblong dish like Superdish, which can get 105 & 110/119 on it :)

KU band LNB for 72 is the main point and the 61.5 is off on the side

EvilEuro said:
In a spot that myself and other people on the west coast who don't live on completely flat, arid land can actually see. As soon as that happens, I'm calling them back and getting an installer out ASAP.EvilEuro
I live in the NW with 16 deg VOOM elevation. My dish is mounted at standing height (dish itself is pointed down TOWARDS the ground). Single story house next door has a highly vaulted roofline and is 35' away, and I still can see Rainbow 1 with 4' to spare. If I mounted my dish on the roof, I think I could clear a small skyscraper :D.

Are you sure you or your installer actually measured LOS (thats the first step before trying ANYTHING with the dish), or just "eyeballed" it and said no way?

The dish was actually put up and the installer attempted to get a signal from there. We got absolutely nothing for a signal no matter what the poor guy tried.

As for location / situation:

I live just north of Disneyland in Orange County. I have mature, 30 foot Chinese Elm trees near my property and live on the downside of a 25 foot depression. I have Dish and can receive those signals just fine, but those dishes point "up" to the 110, 119 and 148. The 61.5 is so low in the horizon where I'm located that the dish was almost pointing "down". And being in a depression looking uphill doesn't bode well there.

The installer gave it his best effort, spending about 90 minutes working the problem. I just need a satellite a little higher in the horizon.

EvilEuro

EvilEuro said:
The dish was actually put up and the installer attempted to get a signal from there. We got absolutely nothing for a signal no matter what the poor guy tried.
Putting up the dish without doing a site survey is just plain dumb. It takes about 10-15 minutes to know EXACTLY if /where the spots are on your property you can recieve VOOM from. Only then do you mount the dish, there is no "attempt" to get it at that point.

Also you stated your dish was almost pointing down. At your location, it WILL be pointing down, so the installer wasn't even close to getting the bird.

Personally, I'd call VOOM and try to get a knowledgable installer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts