Question about AOL--

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
I haven't used AOL in 2 years. However, several of my clients do and one in particular is convinced it is best for him. He has phone company DSL at a modest speed but does everything through the AOL portal to the internet.

Here's the problem:
I upload a video to my server for him to review and add as a link to his website. He makes requested changes to the video and I do those changes and upload an update to the same file file name so as to not affect his web page coded URL. He claims that AOL builds this into a cache of their own and eventhough I have a new version of the file on my server, when he clicks on the link AOL's outdated version residing on their interim server cache is what he sees. Then he tells me he has contacted aol and their solution is to wait a few days telling him the aol cache will refresh itself as long as he doesn't keep accessing it. His suggestion to resolve the stubborn aol cache is for me to rename the file. Unfortunately, then his web page will need to be updated with the new URL or it still won't work. He doesn't build the website but hasd a web designer on the clock do it for him. He refuses to load IE to view the file direct. I tried to tell him it will work better than AOL as he will be able to see the file by hitting the refresh button.

First question I would like to know is how long does AOL's cache hang onto a dated file and second, is there an easy way on their browser to "refresh" the AOL's cache? Not the user's computer cche but AOL's.

I can't answer your question, but I question the cache idea. If it is really the problem, then any site he would click on that doesn’t change its filename would have the same problem (newspapers, etc.).

Yes, this is what I thought. My argument was that there are other explanations for the lack of update that are far more plausible. I think I may have found one that appears to be a web designer's error in how he handled the upload of the correct file to the website server. Can't say for certain it caused the most recent problem but I do know after he executed the upload process correctly for a file replacement, the new content was immediately present to all. AOL was completely out of the loop except for the client's computer.

Detail- After more work last night, "interrogating" the web designer's procedure for uploading a new file content with same file name as the original, I learned that he assumed when a file XYZ.jpg is resident on a server that sending a second file named XYZ.jpg will simply replace the original. NOT SO! In Windows we all know when this happens you get a message box that warns of the replacement. On our server the software simply refuses to accept the new file. One has to FIRST delete the original and THEN upload the new one. As I said once that procedure was followed, all is well.

I suppose the original accusation on aol was in that category of myth than fact. :)

Today, I have to explain to the client he was mistaken that it was his web designer's error, not aol cache. That should be fun. He spent a bit of time on the phone with aol yesterday making noise about it.

I feel for you already. I hate telling clients that the problem is not really related to what the initial thought was. I get to do that almost daily in my job. Luckily, I have a way with people and words and avoid getting my head chewed off most of the time.

As for AOL... Load his PC with viruses and blame AOL! That will get him to switch. (j/k of course)