Question about blind scan

Status
Please reply by conversation.
M

mick d

SatelliteGuys Family
Aug 12, 2009
ne texas
I have my 8' aluminum dish with a chaparrel lnb on it and ready to set the pole. I have a viewsat ultra for my ku 31" dish already set up. My question is I am wondering if I should get the gbox to go with my viewsat or get a merc II which is not a big price difference if the merc will work better. It seems like the viewsat blind scan doesnt pick up everything it should, for instance I did a blind scan on amc3 and got what few channels there are and looked at lyngsat and seen that I should have gotten the patient channel so after manually putting the info in on my channel scan it came up. Can anyone tell me if the merc has a better blind scan and would it be better for my c band set up? Thanks

brentb636

brentb636

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 24, 2006
5 miles N of Saugatuck, Mi
The Merc II has a very effective blindscan, and wouldn't have missed the Patient Channel . The Merc II , though, is not going to function as a Gbox, and run your big dish. You still need the Gbox.
:)

M

mick d

SatelliteGuys Family
Aug 12, 2009
ne texas
Really? I thought it was for a big dish, Glad ya told me. Thanks Brent.

M

mick d

SatelliteGuys Family
Aug 12, 2009
ne texas
any suggestions on a good receiver that will control the c band actuator? Or do I need both receiver and gbox/

B.J.

B.J.

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 15, 2008
Western Maine
any suggestions on a good receiver that will control the c band actuator? Or do I need both receiver and gbox/
THe commonly used terminology has changed a bit over the years, but it used to be that there were receivers and dish movers, and a receiver didn't have the capability of moving the dish. Then when VCII came around, you not only had receivers and dish movers, you had a separate cage with a descrambler.
Then, in an effort of putting everything in one unit, they came out with what are called IRDs. The IRD term actually referred to integrated receiver and decoder, however they also included a dish mover. I'm not sure if there were non-IRD receivers that could move a dish or not. I've never seen one.
But anyway, if you have just a plain receiver, it won't move a dish, however most receivers since around 1990 time frame are actually IRDs, and do move a dish. But I still have a couple old receivers that are prior to the IRD era.

ACRadio

ACRadio

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 25, 2006
Near Asheville NC
I'm not sure if there were non-IRD receivers that could move a dish or not. I've never seen one.
There were many of them...the STS MBS-LSR comes to mind....

Some of the first receiver/positioners had the positioner part in a seperate box so the receiver could be sold then the matching positioner could be purchased later.

M

mick d

SatelliteGuys Family
Aug 12, 2009
ne texas
Well the way it is looking I think I am gonna go with the gbox for now and hook it up to my viewsat ultra even though I feel like I won't be getting all that I can because of it's weak blind scan. Seems like the receivers are steering away from powering the big c bands. Also there seems to be in a transitional period as the prices should come down and a clear cut winner emerges as the best. Maybe? Appreciate the help. ps.( an after thought) will the old c band lnb that came with my dish work with my viewsat?

truckracer

truckracer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 17, 2004
Charleston wv
An HD fta receiver with blind scan and dvb s2 tuner would be a good idea if you can spend the money. I use a pansat 9200HD with the s2 blind scan board. Works very nice on the big dish.

gmd63

gmd63

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 3, 2007
Tell you what, your ViewSat Ultra scans a lot better than many out there. I've had many including the Ultra. If you have C-Band you will want one like truckracer said.

M

mick d

SatelliteGuys Family
Aug 12, 2009
ne texas
Appreciate all the info everybody, I had a look at the pansat 9200 and I would need a s2 board as well and it seems I will still have to get a gbox correct? So I may just get my feet wet with a gbox and my current viewsat ultra and then get a high end receiver in a couple of months. what yall think? Thanks for all the input.

Status
Please reply by conversation.