Status
Please reply by conversation.

Purogamer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 19, 2005
Mentor, Ohio
Back when D* first rolled out in '94, my parents installed the dish since we lived in the sticks. I remember you could manually change the satellite/transponder info, so that if you had a low signal, you actually had the control to move to a higher-rated signal...

Now that i'm an E* customer, we don't have that option. It decides what signal, and it never picks the best one. As i'm making the decision on whether to stay or go back to D*, I was wondering if D* still had this manual-signal-change feature or not? I don't know why they would get rid of it unless they felt people were too stupid to control it (Which I think E* believes), but I thought i'd ask.

The original D* receiver worked better than my current E* one as well...hmm...

Purogamer said:
Back when D* first rolled out in '94, my parents installed the dish since we lived in the sticks. I remember you could manually change the satellite/transponder info, so that if you had a low signal, you actually had the control to move to a higher-rated signal...

Now that i'm an E* customer, we don't have that option. It decides what signal, and it never picks the best one. As i'm making the decision on whether to stay or go back to D*, I was wondering if D* still had this manual-signal-change feature or not? I don't know why they would get rid of it unless they felt people were too stupid to control it (Which I think E* believes), but I thought i'd ask.

The original D* receiver worked better than my current E* one as well...hmm...
Boy did someone fill your head with BS in the early days. The programmer DISH/Directv has always controlled the transponder the signal comes off. You can manually change the transponder to check the signal strength but you have never had the ability to change the transponder the signal was received on. :)

boba said:
You can manually change the transponder to check the signal strength but you have never had the ability to change the transponder the signal was received on. :)

It might be clearer to say you can choose which transponder you want to monitor with the signal strength meter but you cannot change the transponder. As you tune from channel to channel, the receiver uses the guide to tune to the transponder that channel is on.

Nobody filled my head, I remember when the signal was weak, i'd check and find a stronger one, go back to tv, and the picture was noticably improved.

With E*, I find a better signal, and as it shows me the signal screen (why?) it shows me what signal it's trying to get, and it's not the one I had on screen that was much better.

I think you are a little confused about how this technology works.

As said before when you are changing transponders all you are doing is looking at the signal on that transponder but when you change channels you have no control of what transponder the channel you are viewing comes off.

D* and E* have already preselected what transponders have certain channels on them
Go to lyngsat.com and check out the 101 110 and 119 directv and dish satellites and you will see what we are talking about. On the left side it will tell you what transponder and on the right it will tell you the channels.

I understood, I just thought it worked differently back then, because that's what it seemed like.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)