New DVR vs Tivo DVR?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

KingsFan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 4, 2005
I've read a bunch of the posts here and did some searching but I still can't figure this out, sorry.

I've read that D* is coming out with a new DVR system that isn't a TiVo, is this correct? If so is it out now? Is it the model offered on the D* web site for free with a $100 rebate? What is the model number? If I don't order from D* how do I kno wif I'm getting the new model or the old one? If it's not out yet any ETA?

I've also read that D* is moving toward MPEG4. Is that only for HD? Would the new SD DVR need to be replaced after the move to MPEG4?

Thanks for your help.

KingsFan said:
I've read a bunch of the posts here and did some searching but I still can't figure this out, sorry.

I've read that D* is coming out with a new DVR system that isn't a TiVo, is this correct?
Yes.

KingsFan said:
If so is it out now?
No.
KingsFan said:
Is it the model offered on the D* web site for free with a $100 rebate? What is the model number? If I don't order from D* how do I kno wif I'm getting the new model or the old one? If it's not out yet any ETA?
The new R15 DVR will be included under the rebate plan, but it's not currently on D*'s web site.
No. September 15th is the date I've heard.
Order from someone like ValueElectronics to guarantee which receiver model you're getting.
KingsFan said:
I've also read that D* is moving toward MPEG4. Is that only for HD? Would the new SD DVR need to be replaced after the move to MPEG4?
Yes, Yes, and No, respectively.

The R-10 is the current D*TiVo product it works almost flawlessly so why worry about the R-15? About December when some Beta testers have bought and used the R-15, and reported on it's reliability is the time frame I would consider. At $99 for the R-10 with a $100 rebate how far wrong can you go?

Hogarth - Thanks for you detailed and complete answers.

boba - I'm a current Dish Customer and from what I can tell the R15 will be closer in features and operation to my current 721. Just seems like it would make for a smoother transition.

KingsFan said:
boba - I'm a current Dish Customer and from what I can tell the R15 will be closer in features and operation to my current 721. Just seems like it would make for a smoother transition.
Yeah, a sudden increase in capabilty and drop in annoying bugs is a big adjustment all at once! :D

Seriously, I cam from Dish and had a 501. I suffered through its VERY buggy initial stages and but it eventually settled down and did pretty much all I wanted.

Still, TiVo with name based recording sounded attractive but I didn't quite "get" why TiVo fans were so excited (sort of like Mac fans). Well, I'll tell you that while you are right about transition, the TiVo advantage is so great it's worth it!

Get a TiVo...trust me... ;)

rh26 said:
Get a TiVo...trust me... ;)

How many hours does the current Tivo box offered by D* capable of? What other major features should one consider when deciding whether to wait for the new box or not?

Thanks

CEV said:
How many hours does the current Tivo box offered by D* capable of?
It's got an 80GB drive, and stores "up to" 70 hours of video.
However, it's easily upgraded -- I have a 200GB drive in mine and can store 172+ hrs.

CEV said:
What other major features should one consider when deciding whether to wait for the new box or not?

D* may have some tricks up their sleeve that they will support with the new box but not with TiVo.
Can't say more.
You can't even buy the R15 yet, though, so it's really a moot point.

Hogarth said:
You can't even buy the R15 yet, though, so it's really a moot point.

It's not a mute point if it's worth waiting for. That is what I am trying to determine, if I should get the Tivo now or wait for the new box.

Thanks,

CEV

I'd rather have a TIVO any day, then a non TIVO based DVR. But, that probably doesn't help you much.

If the new R15 is as buggy as other recent D* releases, I'd be hesitant.

Can someone please point me in the right direction to see a comparison of both? I could not find anything on D* web-site.

Thanks

Thanks Hogarth, I think i will wait for the R15 to be released. I like those specs better!!

I recieved an email from D****. They told me the new reciever will be released 1st qt of 06. The recievers being shipped now has the ability to be upgraded to mpeg4 in a software upgrade. For all that had an old reciever that is not upgradeable, they will be replaced when your city offers locals in HD. In the begining only locals will be in mpg4. So mpg4 is not important until your city is in HD, which will take about a year.

If it turns out that you can't hack the new DVR, you'll probably regret not getting the tivo version...

I'm waiting to hear reports before I considering switching from E*...Longest month of my life...=)>

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)