Question about DirecTV Now and existing DirecTV subscribers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sangs

Original poster
Mar 21, 2013
New Jersey
Does anybody have an idea if existing DirecTV subscribers will have access to DirecTV Now? For instance, will we be able to use the DirecTV Now app on, say, Apple TV, Roku, or whatever platform it's made available? I'm really hoping so, mainly because it'd be a nice backup plan to have in case of outages.

As they are marketing as a separate product I would say no. You can however get live streams with the Directv app itself and use it in a similar fashion.

Reactions: Jimbo
But there is no DirecTV streaming app on anything other that smartphones, tablets and computers, correct?

Does anybody have an idea if existing DirecTV subscribers will have access to DirecTV Now? For instance, will we be able to use the DirecTV Now app on, say, Apple TV, Roku, or whatever platform it's made available? I'm really hoping so, mainly because it'd be a nice backup plan to have in case of outages.
I don't see why not as I don't see how they could prevent you from doing so. I have a DirecTV sat account and I plan to sign up the first day it's available.

You can stream NFL ST through the xbox NFL app. And there are a few others. You could always try using the builtin browsers of such devices. My smart TV will stream from DirecTV.com via the browser.

But there is no DirecTV streaming app on anything other that smartphones, tablets and computers, correct?
Try side loading the app on a device you want and see it may work, dont know unless you try.

I don't see why not as I don't see how they could prevent you from doing so. I have a DirecTV sat account and I plan to sign up the first day it's available.
I think he meant will it be included with your sat subscription, or at least that is how it read to me. Of course anyone can pay and subscribe to it and use it as they see fit.

Reactions: sangs and keenan
I too hope that existing dtv customers can use dtvnow since they'll be apps for it on streaming devices. As long as dtvnow doesn't have one single channel on its platform that isn't on dtv you should be able to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

I think of two reasons they likely will treat them as completely separate products:

- DirecTV Now is a risky product in the nature of causing attrition from their main satellite service, i.e. customers cancelling DirecTV and going to streaming only. With this new product I believe they will be watching this very closely, as they need to "protect the base" so to speak. Price is a definite motivator, and as the streaming services launch in nearly "half-range" of the regular service, there is a risk they could see people switch over yet remain customers, cutting their ARPU in half. They will be very conscious of this, as I'm sure Dish is as well with Sling (though it isn't as much of a attrition risk as it is a lesser product channel wise).

- DirecTV is already offering a similar solution to their customers through the DirecTV app. Many channels (likely more than DirecTV NOW) are stream capable, as well as a full lineup with DVR function if you have a Genie HR44/HR54. This is in support of DirecTV being a premium over DirecTV Now.

I too think that they will keep the products seperate. Its no different than Dish. Dish owns Sling, but you don't get Sling service if you subscribe to Dish. This will be no different.

I don't see the purpose if price isn't comparable with other streaming services. Yes some with deep pockets may jump all over it, but what I've read about pricing it will be almost the same (minus) equipment charges to satellite packages which doesn't come close to already available proven services like Vue with cloud DVR. Even Redzone (NFL version) is awesome on Vue and personally prefer over Directv's version.

I don't see the purpose if price isn't comparable with other streaming services. Yes some with deep pockets may jump all over it, but what I've read about pricing it will be almost the same (minus) equipment charges to satellite packages which doesn't come close to already available proven services like Vue with cloud DVR. Even Redzone (NFL version) is awesome on Vue and personally prefer over Directv's version.

Reported base price is one of the big selling points of this service. $35 for "100 channels" is what is being reported. That beats either streaming service available today in the channel for dollar category.

Now granted we do not have a concrete list on what is included in that line up, and what may be available as add on. It could get more expensive. I would wager the channels available for the base price would rival what Vue offers however, and possibly surpass it.

I read it different. Hope I'm wrong but the $35 dollar price was base package around 60 channels.

I read it different. Hope I'm wrong but the $35 dollar price was base package around 60 channels.
They may have put out something I have not come across, but this is the most widely reported number, and it is direct from the ATT chairman and CEO.

http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/att-ceo-directv-now-will-cost-35-a-month-1201900052/

AT&T’s upcoming DirecTV Now streaming service is going to cost $35 a month, revealed AT&T chairman and CEO Randall Stephenson during a panel at the Wall Street Journal’s WSJ.D Live conference in Laguna Beach, Calif., Tuesday. The package will include more than 100 channels, he said.

They may have put out something I have not come across, but this is the most widely reported number, and it is direct from the ATT chairman and CEO.

http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/att-ceo-directv-now-will-cost-35-a-month-1201900052/
This is what I have also seen.

We got a video in the email at work talking about it as well, but it didn't say anything more than whats already been reported.

Fwiw, what I've seen is 100 channels for $35 ... which is MUCH cheaper than a D* package.
That said, we don't have a list of channels as of yet either.

Reactions: camo
Yes that's different from what I read earlier. They sure have taken a different stance, sure it has something to do with PlayStation Vue. Not sure where this is going are they planning on competing with their own over inflated satellite packages.

Yes that's different from what I read earlier. They sure have taken a different stance, sure it has something to do with PlayStation Vue. Not sure where this is going are they planning on competing with their own over inflated satellite packages.
Its not competing with thier D* stuff exactly, its another option.
D* will offer many more channel options, at least in the early times.

I don't know why they can't eventually offer all the same channels, D* subs currently can stream most of thier channels, hopefully eventually all of them .. (via thier own app, not the D* now program).

I for one will not pay $35 dollars to stream. $20 is more than I am willing to pay for any streaming service

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

If I leave D* it will be for Vue, I need a DVR. I'm not going back to watching TV on the networks schedule and on demand is anemic and has commercials.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)