Question about Dish Spot Beam Maps

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cpalmer2k

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 18, 2013
United States
I'm trying to figure out if I can pick up a set of neighboring locals at my location based on the spot beam maps at https://sites.google.com/site/satkml/. After zooming in and checking my location I am several miles inside of the green loop on the map. The green line is defined as 53.4dBw on the map.

Are the chances good that I would be able to pick up that spot beam at my location using the Pathways X2 portable setup, or would I likely need a real Eastern Arc stationary or tripod dish?

Why don't you mention your DMA and the DMA you want? There are maps here, too, organized by market. Check out the OUR OTHER SITES tab.

I'm trying to pick up the Myrtle Beach, SC HD locals from the Eastern Arc in upstate S.C. I have looked at the maps on "The List" for the Myrtle Beach DMA, but it is very hard to determine where the loops are since it isn't zoomable. The maps I linked above I thought were the more detailed versions of those from "The List" since the Satellite Guys logo is at the top of my linked site? I'm looking at spotbeam 05 on 61.5, the Raleigh spotbeam.

Ah... The link you provided above (at least for me) goes to the Western Arc. It doesn't like FF and demands Chrome. :mad:

OK, I am looking here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist...ll&sub=true&sort=&order=&beamMap=E16_SB05.jpg The Myrtle Beach spotbeam 5 reaches well into my state, VA, so you should be good unless you want to see it way to the west in upstate SC. From your description in your OP of being inside the green line, I imagine you should be able to "move" your service address to somewhere with a Myrtle Beach address and get those locals quite well.

Also, on the above link, note the "+" and "-" on the right hand side. Do those buttons not work for you?

Go to 'Aim Dish,' put in 61.5, go to transponder 22. See if you lock in on spotbeam 5. If you lock, you are good to go, if not you aren't.... BTW, the Raleigh locals are on 61.5, transponder 22, spotbeam 5....

Reactions: primestar31
I'm trying to figure out if I can pick up a set of neighboring locals at my location based on the spot beam maps at https://sites.google.com/site/satkml/. After zooming in and checking my location I am several miles inside of the green loop on the map. The green line is defined as 53.4dBw on the map.

Are the chances good that I would be able to pick up that spot beam at my location using the Pathways X2 portable setup, or would I likely need a real Eastern Arc stationary or tripod dish?

you will have rock solid reception at 53.4 dbw.

Why don't you mention your DMA and the DMA you want? There are maps here, too, organized by market. Check out the OUR OTHER SITES tab.

The kml link referenced is our master map kml link. It provides much more technical detail than the summary pictures we use on The List. (requires Google Earth)

Reactions: TheKrell
Go to 'Aim Dish,' put in 61.5, go to transponder 22. See if you lock in on spotbeam 5. If you lock, you are good to go, if not you aren't.... BTW, the Raleigh locals are on 61.5, transponder 22, spotbeam 5....

My receiver has a "Point Dish" but it doesn't tell you what spot beam you're locked on.

It should, after it locks in on it. That sometimes takes 5 minutes or longer with a spotbeam. Once it locks, it'll change to saying exactly what spotbeam it is.

You know, in all the years I've been aiming my dish I never noticed that the Transponder section changed to Spotbeam on 129 when you go to lower numbers.

Thanks guys for learning me one more thing today.

Been looking at the maps for my general area tonight and holy crap Dish has some huge overlap on their spot beams. Just examining Eastern Arc I could "move" to any one of 12, possibly 14 DMAs. With DirecTV I've checked all my transponders and could only choose from three DMAs. Mine and the two closest to me.

Reactions: TheKrell
Houston is 90 miles from Beaumont. I can get Houston with no problems and about a 55 strength on the spotbeam in the Beaumont area. Lake Charles, Louisiana across the state border line, uses our Beaumont ABC and CBS station up on the satellite in their dma to give them the full 4 networks since they don't have a CBS or ABC local station. So we know that Beaumont spotbeam must reach out about as wide if it is to reach that far into that state.

I hate the area I'm in. Not much in the local TV area and only one smaller adjacent DMA is in reach.

The kml link referenced is our master map kml link. It provides much more technical detail than the summary pictures we use on The List. (requires Google Earth)

Is there any way you could make those kml maps downloadable so they could be viewed offline? The only way I can get the Google Earth Plugin to work is to use an older version of Firefox. It is being phased out by Google, and thus isn't supported in the newer versions of Chrome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)