Question about Dual Tuner

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jesserulz233

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 8, 2005
South Carolina
Hi I am a noob to Tivo. I just had mine hooked up on Saturday and I love it. The only thing I don't have is the dual tuner. I bought a Satellite Splitter from RadioShack but it only worked partly. If I watched a channel on the same transponder as the other tuner, the channel wouldn't work. My question is what do I need that will make the Dual Tuner work? I have for TV's hooked to the dish. My LNB only has 4 slots and they are all used up. Thanks.

jesserulz233 said:
Hi I am a noob to Tivo. I just had mine hooked up on Saturday and I love it. The only thing I don't have is the dual tuner. I bought a Satellite Splitter from RadioShack but it only worked partly. If I watched a channel on the same transponder as the other tuner, the channel wouldn't work. My question is what do I need that will make the Dual Tuner work? I have for TV's hooked to the dish. My LNB only has 4 slots and they are all used up. Thanks.

honestly don't know much about this stuff, but I know a splitter won't work.

I think you need a multi-switch. I am sure some of the more technical people will answer this question for you shortly.

Add a 5x8 cascading multiswitch, change all existing lines to connect to it, and then run a new line from that switch to the TiVo.

Take the POS RadioShack thing back.

Hogarth said:
Add a 5x8 cascading multiswitch, change all existing lines to connect to it, and then run a new line from that switch to the TiVo.

Take the POS RadioShack thing back.

I only have 2 lines dropping from my dish. Will i be able to still get signal?

Bump!!! lol

Sorry. I'm not trying to be rude. I just really need an answer. I am clueless when it comes to this stuff.

jesserulz233 said:
Bump!!! lol

Sorry. I'm not trying to be rude. I just really need an answer. I am clueless when it comes to this stuff.

Since you said your LNB has 4 slots, I'm assuming you have the oval phase III dish. You'll want to run four lines from the dish to the multiswitch. That way all the channels, from all three satellites, will be viewable by all receivers connected to the multiswitch.

For what you have, you only need to have dual LNB's (unless you have the HD). I'm betting that if you only have two lines running from your dish, you have an integrated multiswitch in your dish, and that you may only need to have just one line hooked up to your TiVo, with out a splitter. You either need that, or a multiswitch which has room for your two lines in and as many lines out as you need. Splitters, as you have found out, do not work.

I have the cascadeable Terk 5x8 powered multiswitch myself, but most people do not need that much-a 2x4 would do.

Happy Camper said:
For what you have, you only need to have dual LNB's (unless you have the HD). I'm betting that if you only have two lines running from your dish, you have an integrated multiswitch in your dish, and that you may only need to have just one line hooked up to your TiVo, with out a splitter. You either need that, or a multiswitch which has room for your two lines in and as many lines out as you need. Splitters, as you have found out, do not work.

I have the cascadeable Terk 5x8 powered multiswitch myself, but most people do not need that much-a 2x4 would do.

so if i run the 2 lines from my dish into the 5x8 mutilswitch and run 5 lines out to my recievers, will it still work? And I have noticed that the mutiswitches come with AC Adapaters. Does it need to be plugged in?

jesserulz233 said:
so if i run the 2 lines from my dish into the 5x8 mutilswitch and run 5 lines out to my recievers, will it still work?
I'm pretty sure you must supply 4 lines to the multiswitch.
The AxB means:
A) Incoming Lines. In This case, 4 sat + 1 antenna == 5
B) Outgoing Lines In this case, 8. (Giving you 5 for your current receivers, and 3 for future use.)

jesserulz233 said:
And I have noticed that the mutiswitches come with AC Adapaters. Does it need to be plugged in?

Yes, the multiswitches of this size must be powered to maintain the voltage from the dish.

djsmokyc said:
Since you said your LNB has 4 slots, I'm assuming you have the oval phase III dish. You'll want to run four lines from the dish to the multiswitch. That way all the channels, from all three satellites, will be viewable by all receivers connected to the multiswitch.

my dish is a dual LNB i thnk. It is an Oval with 2 outs on it. So I can't just hook up the two lines from the dish into the 5x8 switch and have 5 recievers hooked to it and still get signal?

jesserulz233 said:
So I can't just hook up the two lines from the dish into the 5x8 switch and have 5 recievers hooked to it and still get signal?

No, you need to have 4 lines going into the multiswitch.

a 3x8 will work FINE, so will a 3x4. You basically need the multi-switch to add another run to your DVR and keep the existing one in place. 3x8 will give you the ability to have 8 receivers in your home and a 3x4 the same (4 receivers) the last number indicates the number of receiver you may host.

3x4 = dual LNB + an antenna (4 receivers)
3x8 = dual LNB + an antenna (8 receivers)

Here is a nice 3x4 that would suit your needs.

jesserulz233 said:
lol i have the exact same one. I will be replacing this one with the new 3x8 i ordered. Then i will be able to really enjoy my tivo.
Sorry about that, I mis-read you inital post, must have been in a big hand :D

3x8 will do ya just fine, sorry again for the bad advice. :eek:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)