Question about equipment found - ChannelMaster dish and KU LBF

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You will only get one polarity, either horizontal or vertical (depending on orientation), with that LNB setup.

Thank you, so new LNB it is!!

I appreciate all of the advise... I'll post back when I set things up for my first run...

The LNB should be bolted onto an adapter ring that is circular in shape (the waveguide). That waveguide should be bolted to the feedhorn. If you can find a C-120-flanged LNB (for example, the stacked FSS LNB from a Superdish), all you'd have to do is unbolt the waveguide/LNB from the feedhorn and replace that assembly with the new LNB.

The LNB should be bolted onto an adapter ring that is circular in shape (the waveguide). That waveguide should be bolted to the feedhorn. If you can find a C-120-flanged LNB (for example, the stacked FSS LNB from a Superdish), all you'd have to do is unbolt the waveguide/LNB from the feedhorn and replace that assembly with the new LNB.

Ah funny that you posted this - was just coming back to the forum to post exactly this question. I wish I had the dish with me... was going to get the Sadoun KUL2 but wasn't sure if I could easily mount it..... and honestly even with the help you've provided I'm not sure.

When you can, try to snap a picture of the LNB/feed assembly. That should indicate what you have, but chances are it is similar to the above. There are easy fixes, trust me :)

Does the assembly look like this?

Attachments

• FeedAssembly.jpg
    FeedAssembly.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Ah funny that you posted this - was just coming back to the forum to post exactly this question. I wish I had the dish with me... was going to get the Sadoun KUL2 but wasn't sure if I could easily mount it..... and honestly even with the help you've provided I'm not sure.

it should fit but what you have to do is take the casing off behind the eye (the throat of the LNB)...that's what I've done and have had no issues :)

The throat is a 25mm which will fit on the grobvve on that dish. The normal LNB throats are 40mm

it should fit but what you have to do is take the casing off behind the eye (the throat of the LNB)...that's what I've done and have had no issues :)

The throat is a 25mm which will fit on the grobvve on that dish. The normal LNB throats are 40mm

Tron, Iceberg..thank you...Iceberg thank you very much for the attachment, now I know what a waveguide is :D. From memory it looks just like what you've posted... so I can go ahead with that Sadoun LBF... I really wish I brought the dish from our cottage... I'll probably hook it all up at home and play with it permanently here. The dish did come with a roof mount as well, I was just going to sit that on the ground in my backyard near my Dish 1000+.

One suggestion, is: SINGLE UNV FTA SATELLITE LNBF- MINI .
I have a couple, and you can see favorable comments here on the forum by other users.

Last year, I got some inexpensive Universal LNBS marked Sky Mexico for $6.95.
Only problem was the shipping and handling were stiff, and wound up around $10 each, delivered, for four.

These two examples work fine, but I will agree with the comment from above:

I was looking @ eBay for LNBFs... found: NEW LINEAR LNB/LNBF KU BAND SATELLITE FTA DISH * 0.3 dB - eBay (item 380030917414 end time May-29-08 11:45:48 PDT)

Sounds like the inexpensive ones mentioned, only $5.95+shipping... is it a get what you pay for deal, or any experiences with this LNBF?

Sadoun I've noticed sells through eBay as well, and my first inclination is to get the KUL2 just in case I do wind up getting a 2nd receiver at some point...

I will "recommend" the MINI I posted above.
Others with experience on the KUL2 will "recommend" it.

The eBay deal you found seems to be all about shipping costs.
Ya pays yer money, and ya takes yer chance... :rolleyes:
I have a wide assortment of cheap and expensive LNBs.
...and I didn't get any of them from eBay.

I have one like it and it works just fine. But if you need to gut it to fit on a Primestar/Channelmaster dish that won't work. The throat is still too big

Thank you Anole... when you first posted the web site for that company was down..but now I see it. These aren't too expensive at all, I'll probably just get one of these...although it is single receiver, but for now that's OK.

If you have the same feed support arms (three arms which attach to the dish and are bolted together at a black plastic holder) as in my picture, that holder will accommodate a 40mm neck LNBF without any modification. The dish in that picture is my Channel Master (same as Primestar) 1 meter, which I now have a Dish Pro FSS stacked LNB mounted to. Before I had the proper feedhorn/waveguide/LNB for that dish, I had a Fortec FSKUV universal LNBF on that dish, in that holder, without any problems. I'd suggest a standard LNBF, that will give you more switching options. But any 40mm neck LNBF will do.

If you have an elliptical Channel Master (Primestar) dish, you'll have to do the modification Iceberg talked about (taking the plastic casing off of the LNBF). If you have the "round" dish with three poles holding the feed assembly, then the 40mm will fit the holder with no trouble.

If you have the same feed support arms (three arms which attach to the dish and are bolted together at a black plastic holder) as in my picture, that holder will accommodate a 40mm neck LNBF without any modification. The dish in that picture is my Channel Master (same as Primestar) 1 meter, which I now have a Dish Pro FSS stacked LNB mounted to. Before I had the proper feedhorn/waveguide/LNB for that dish, I had a Fortec FSKUV universal LNBF on that dish, in that holder, without any problems. I'd suggest a standard LNBF, that will give you more switching options. But any 40mm neck LNBF will do.

If you have an elliptical Channel Master (Primestar) dish, you'll have to do the modification Iceberg talked about (taking the plastic casing off of the LNBF). If you have the "round" dish with three poles holding the feed assembly, then the 40mm will fit the holder with no trouble.

Yes I have a dish similar to the one in the picture, it is non-elliptical, 3 arms, based on my memory.

Quick question - did you mean to post this lnbf: -SINGLE STD FTA SATELLITE LNBF- MINI - SatelliteAV, LLC.

This one is "Standard" they say is for North American satellites..the one from the initial link was for "Universal" or International satellites...

The Universal LNB's will work fine. They have a low and high band. A few satellites over the Atlantic use the low band so a Universal is needed

You were asking where to find an LNB for a measly $15, and I posted the $10 (plus shipping) Universal MINI for ya.
As stated, either the Universal or Standard is fine.

And as covered above, the neck (in this case, the whole body) is about 40mm
However, if you take the plastic off, the actual neck is 25mm... but that appears to not matter in this situation.

You would just substitute the entire LNB for everything currently mounted out at the focus.
Tron's comments above about bolting a Dish FSS LNB to the existing feed horn would not apply.
I only bring this up because several solutions were discussed, all interlaced with each other, and I wanted to differentiate the one from the other.

The other little thing is, if you're ordering one, get two.
Shipping won't be much more, and that makes the 2nd one cheap! ;)
Some day soon, you'll want to be experimenting with another LNB on your dish, and you 'll be ready.

You were asking where to find an LNB for a measly $15, and I posted the $10 (plus shipping) Universal MINI for ya.
As stated, either the Universal or Standard is fine.

And as covered above, the neck (in this case, the whole body) is about 40mm
However, if you take the plastic off, the actual neck is 25mm... but that appears to not matter in this situation.

You would just substitute the entire LNB for everything currently mounted out at the focus.
Tron's comments above about bolting a Dish FSS LNB to the existing feed horn would not apply.
I only bring this up because several solutions were discussed, all interlaced with each other, and I wanted to differentiate the one from the other.

The other little thing is, if you're ordering one, get two.
Shipping won't be much more, and that makes the 2nd one cheap! ;)
Some day soon, you'll want to be experimenting with another LNB on your dish, and you 'll be ready.

Thanks!! This is great Anole, I appreciate it! Now another dumb question. I was just about to pull the trigger on the single universal mini lnbf...and saw your question about "another LNB on your dish". Could I add a 2nd LNBF to this existing dish? Not sure what would I get with a 2nd LNBF..would it be to have two receivers hooked up (and if so shouldn't I get a dual output LNBF instead of a single)? Or what am I missing...

Regarding Tron's suggestion on the LNB above:
Initially, I glossed over his comments, because they involved a more complicated solution.
You asked for a $15 LNB, and that was what I answered.
However, if you want to fully understand what he was talking about, please give this thread a read:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/142005-stacked-ku-lnbf-primestar-dish.html

Now, with that out of the way, let's talk about sporting two LNBs:
That's usually done when there are two satellites near to each other, and you would like to receive both on your fixed dish.
If you have chosen two such satellites, and they are pretty close, without being right on top of each other, then two of the MINIs are a fine choice.
There are threads dealing with custom brackets, the guys have come up with.
Iceberg and Linuxman have done some outrageous things, but many members have posted pictures of imaginative ideas.

You will need a switch to let your receiver select between LNBs.
We have a thread to explain all that.
However, the longest trip begins with the first step, so get that LNB on and receive something! - :up

Of course, if you go motorized, then two identical LNBs on the one dish is not appropriate.

Anole - thank you- I understand now completely! LNBFs are now being ordered... ;-)

OK so I have the GEOSTATpro GSL1u-Bullet Universal Single LNBF (well, two of them!). I took off the old lnbf, and this one fits perfectly in the black lnbf holder!

So now two questions, but related I think... how do I orient the LNBF in the holder? I have it set now so that the coax connection points straight down.

BUT...then I read about skew, I thought when I first read it months ago that it was rotating the dish itself some number of degrees (like Dish Network), but this dish doesn't have a "skew" adjustment- so I read more, and it seems that I need to actually rotate the lnbf some degrees to adjust it..is that right?

I'll keep searching this forum for more information, but I'm also going to actually put this dish outside and ready for satellite signal catching!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)