question about hughesnet and skyfx

From what I had read, those with 7000 systems will not be able to get this new monitor but the newer 9000 modems will. It shows the status on the modem page now and I believe software can be downloaded to show on the screen. I am not using the 9000 so it will not work for me although I hear software for the 7000 may be released soon.

This still does not change the issue with FAP. There are huge limitations with this service compared to DSL / Cable and it is not limited to the FAP and low speed many times of the day. It is not just Hughesnet either. I have heard (and even seen) poor performance out of SkyFx and WildBlue systems.

This still does not change the issue with FAP. There are huge limitations with this service compared to DSL / Cable and it is not limited to the FAP and low speed many times of the day. It is not just Hughesnet either. I have heard (and even seen) poor performance out of SkyFx and WildBlue systems.

Its not as major problem as you may think. Over 95% of Hughesnet customers do not and have never had a problem with the FAP.

Its not as major problem as you may think. Over 95% of Hughesnet customers do not and have never had a problem with the FAP.
I'm in that group. I've been a DirecPC/Direcway/HughesNet customer since the beginning. In those 10 years, I've probably only experienced the FAP maybe 3 times. Each time it was because of some massive Windows update. The majority of the other 5% are those impulsive and/or stubborn folk who don't read and/or don't understand the terms of service.

//greg//

I'm also a user who hasn't had FAP issues.

I have data storage disks in both my locations. I use "rsync" to keep them in sync. For small amounts of data, I rsync across the internet. If I have "mass quantities" of data, I just rsync to a portable disk and take it to the other location. I'm going there anyway, so it's not a problem. It's all done with shell scripts, so it's easy.

Would it be nice to not have to go through the extra step? Well, I suppose so. But, it's not the end of the world, either. Even Amazon.com offers manual loading of mass quantities of data from physical disk to their cloud solution.

Having said all that, would I go to DSL or cable in a hearbeat? You bet. But, that's not available out in BFE where I live, and it's not likely to be available any time soon.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Google gigabit fiber!

I've talked to several people that have used satellite broadband that had the FAP issue in my area. I had issues with updates causing it. Even if I told it to update in the middle of the night it would only download 20 MB per hour and then it would go over eventually. I had to stop the updates altogether as a result.

Most may not have an issue with FAP right now but as time goes on, bandwidth usage will increase dramatically due to video. There was a substancial increase in traffic over a period of just a year or two across a wireless internet company I was involved with. Even after a lot of added bandwidth we noticed the usage going up more and more. I notice a lot more people doing video now and that is believed to be where most of the bandwidth is going towards.

Heck I have had FAP issues just browsing the internet. Pictures on webpages take up quite a bit if you go through enough of them over enough time then do an update, wham, there goes your FAP.

Heck I have had FAP issues just browsing the internet. Pictures on webpages take up quite a bit if you go through enough of them over enough time then do an update, wham, there goes your FAP.
Sorry, no sympathy here. You get what you pay for. Want a higher FAP threshold? Pony up the bucks. Can't afford it? Change your internet habits !

//greg//

Most may not have an issue with FAP right now but as time goes on, bandwidth usage will increase dramatically due to video. There was a substancial increase in traffic over a period of just a year or two across a wireless internet company I was involved with. Even after a lot of added bandwidth we noticed the usage going up more and more. I notice a lot more people doing video now and that is believed to be where most of the bandwidth is going towards.

Its not like Hughes is just going to let technology pass them by. They are constantly looking to the future. Do a search on Hughes Jupiter

I think If FAP was as big of a problem as some say and act like Hughesnet would have a much higher churn rate. Also Hughesnet has a much higher BBB rating than any most of the other TV and internet providers including. Directv, Dish, Comcast, Wildblue, Cox, and Starband.

There can not be much higher churn rate if there is no other alternative? They know there are very few if any other choice out in the country so they can get away with more. If suddenly there was competition in most of the areas where satellite broadband was the only choice prior, they would have to make some changes quick to keep those customers. Hughes FAP rolls over 24 hours while WildBlue rolls over 1 month. I prefer the Hughes 24 hour FAP policy as they have unlimited 2-7 am and you are not without internet service for 1-2 straight weeks when you surpass FAP like with WildBlue if you go through it quicker.

With what I have read on Hughes Jupiter, it gives satellite broadband a lot of promise and potential to possibly compete with other technologies out there. It also opens up more possibilities for other types of services.

I am not saying that everybody has this problem but there are many folks that do. A lot of people do not think it is an issue until they get the system and are locked into a contract and do have to adjust their internet habits (they figure it out real quick when they get shut off enough for going over FAP). If someone came from cable/dsl that did not have the limits and watched a few youtube videos a day had to go to satellite if they moved to an area that could not get cable/dsl then they would be disapointed going from a better service to satellite.

For those going from dialup to satellite they were already used to being limited on what they could do. Most people think the costs are unreasonable for what satellite wants for the higher thresholds but that is probably due to them comparing the service costs to cable/dsl.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)