question about hughesnet and skyfx

No matter which satellite provider you go with, you will have the FAP issue. This is one reason why I suggested you see if you can get LOS (Line of Sight) to someone that has DSL/Cable where you will not have such restrictions.

Greg, I have been looking for download management software and was wondering what to go with. What I am trying to do is limit the speed and amount of data each day that each computer can receive. Is there software that can do this that is free? I need this due to satellite bandwidth limitations.

No matter which satellite provider you go with, you will have the FAP issue. This is one reason why I suggested you see if you can get LOS (Line of Sight) to someone that has DSL/Cable where you will not have such restrictions.

Greg, I have been looking for download management software and was wondering what to go with. What I am trying to do is limit the speed and amount of data each day that each computer can receive. Is there software that can do this that is free? I need this due to satellite bandwidth limitations.

If the FAP is an issue, does Hughes count data between midnight and six AM? I know Starband does not. A lot of my customers download movies,etc at night, record and watch later.

GL, Eric

Well I've never had a reason to run one, so I can't personally vouch for anything specific. But I think basic internet cafe software might work. Here's one that claims to be free: Downloads - Windows 7 Compatible Internet Cafe Software - handyCafe . Alternatively, check to see what your router firewall can do for you. Mine has lots of features for stipulating which computers on the network can do what - and when.

//greg//

gazer in the future i wil think of the line of sight equipment. i only have two weeks on vacation where i want to set the satellite. i will try hugesnet now and later on look into the line of sight. i think the line of sight may be a little more involving and no guarantee i will find a signal.

Is your vacation home in North West Florida or south Florida? I'm in the north end and usually am the one who does the Installation of used 7000 systems around here!

That is what I would do if I were in your shoes tito, I would setup Hughes if I can get away with setting up the equipment myself without having someone come out THEN work on a LOS link to someone with cable/dsl. This way at least you have some bandwidth and can read up about setting up some links. I have some knowledge about radios and links as I was part of a wisp (wireless internet service provider) if you need an advice. With some GPS plots one can use some software to figure out if some links would be good for you.

gazer thats what i will do for now. i am going to set the pole, but i believe the final setup has to be done by a certified installer. if i can do it myself i would. when i am ready for the LOS i would let you know.

thanks

It is possible to self install used 7000 systems. But you still have the contract and from some of you questions I would reccommend that you have an installer do it just so you don't beat your head against the dish for days trying to make it work.

Have you checked the serial number of the modem with hughes billing to see if this modem is free of any debt against it? If the person you got it from still owes Hughes a penny they will not turn it on.

Here is probably the best reference for self installing a Hughes modem I have seen. It is geared toward mobile users (rvers) but it still apllies.

HughesNet Mobile Satellite User Guide

No my area is further west but same company will have to come out used equipment install is 199.00 and pole is 125.00 if you get pole don't set it until installer shows up. Trenching not included if you buy pole and fast setting concrete.

apsc you mean if an installer was to come and do the whole nine yards it would cost me $199 + $125 = $324

apsc you mean if an installer was to come and do the whole nine yards it would cost me $199 + $125 = $324

Yeah used equipment install is 199.00 hughes will dispatch an F.S.O to company with contract in area and that is the cost if pole mount has to be done it is 125.00 includes 25 feet of soft ground trenching and 1 dual coax run at 100 feet max with grounding and one exterior entry point. It would be Impossible to get around this with out your master account number and pin. Hughes will require that it be done this way. If you bought pole and concrete it might save you fifty bucks but technically not worth the hassle you would have to go through. You might think it is worth it to save fifty but tech is not required to do cable burial if you bought the pole and concrete for mount. I would highly recommend a pole mount for any hughes system. If you want it done right and to keep it going you really need a certified Professional installer. just my 02. for what it's worth!

yes you are right apsc, it may not be worth the while . i will have the installer do the job.

thanks for your info.

hello greg, finally got hughesnet installed last week, thanks to you and all the guys in the forum that helped me with all the info.

Do you have Hughesnet? If you do go to myhughesnet.com and click on service tools on the left hand side, there you will find a status meter and download manager free from Hughesnet. I have heard a rumor and that's how this should be taken as just a rumor because I have not gotten any concrete information on this, but from what I have heard is soon Hughes will revamp their FAP policies and not count "normal browsing against the FAP". I do not know how they will detect which is which but it may be if you stay under a certain amount of bandwidth per hour it will not count or some sort of program like a browsing monitor that works like the FAP monitor that they have now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts