question about hughesnet and skyfx

grohgreg i got the equipment. when i get to my place i will buy the pole and the quickrete and follow your instruction, after i set the pole i believe i still need an installer acording to hughesnet. is that correct.? can you tell me if you would happen to know the elevation, azimuth and angle for zip code 32148. would like to know this to know where to set my pole. thanks

grohgreg also let me know if you know what satellite to aim it at.
Yes, even if you set the pole - you still need an installer. but - assuming you plant a Hughes-approved pole - you still may qualify for the (free) standard install. The definition of a standard installation is on the HughesNet website.

New HughesNet subscribers automatically get the HN9000 system. That is, unless there's no line of sight between the customer and Spaceway III (at 95W). When that happens, they default to the HN7000S system, which at the moment is commissioning Floridians on Satmex5 (at 117W).

There are plenty of online and downloadable calculators for you to obtain your own pointing angles. Gimme a shout back if you have trouble finding one.

//greg//

grohgreg i got a used dish and a hn7000s modem. being that i am using a used equipment do i still qualify for free installation. and since i got the hn7000s that means i aim it at satmex 5 is that correct

SatMex5, yes. Customers installing used equipment do NOT qualify for free installation. Whoever owned the equipment first, used up that offer. I've uploaded the current satellite parameters. Yours are on pg2. Use these pointing angles to start:
AZ 205.2 (true) or 210.6 (magnetic)
EL 52.6
POL 21.7

//greg//

Attachments

• 1944, FSB_100301_01B_Updated_Commissioning_Rules.pdf
    384.2 KB · Views: 217
stargazer, where do you get these radios and what brand are they.

Ubiquiti (do google search) is cheapest equipment you can get. Tranzeo is another brand (I like the CPQ-19 since it has a better antenna and sensitivity as the receiving end but it will only receive, not transmit). You could get one of those and do a search to see what signals are out there and buy another radio to transmit the signal. You can get some with 900 mhz to shoot through some trees (not a whole lot) if that is an issue. Nothing shoots through dirt/hills.

You can install the SkyWay/SkyFx equipment yourself. Hughesnet you wouldn't. Since you have used Hughesnet equipment then you would have no contract with them whereas you would with SkyWay. Since you already have the used Hughesnet equipment then you would be ahead to pay for installation of it since that would be cheaper than paying for the SkyWay/SkyFx equipment.

I Install Hughes! I've Installed Skyway! You would be better off with Hughesnet just my .02! You will have more trouble with a one way system.

hi again grohgreg. i have been going to different sat finder and when i put the zipcode i get the following.

az= 240 el= 38.7 and skew= 45.2. please let me know if these are correct or the numbers you gave me. the most important is the az to knoa where i am going to plant the pole without any trees being in view. thanks again grohgreg

You are correct. I provided the angles for Spaceway III, thinking you were going HN9000. Used HN7000 equipment will be pointed SatMex5 with those angles you cited.

//greg//

greg since you have hughesnet i have a question, do you know if i can us my blu ray player that streams netflix with the hughesnet system to watch movies or listen to pandora radio.

greg where i am now i have cable internet. i also have a blu-ray player that has the feature that i can watch netflix movies. the blu ray player has a lan input or wireless usb adapter connection. i am subscribed to netflix and i could stream watch instant movies on the blu-ray player. i use the wireless adapter on the blu-ray player and it connects to my wireless router. now the question is "if i take my blu-ray to florida where i will have the satellite internet and i hook the player to the lan from the modem or the wireless router , will this player work or not. in other words will the streaming work or will it be too slow, or of bad quality

Sounds like you should have done more homework before buying satellite gear. The only RJ45 port on the HN7000S (what you're calling a modem) connects by Ethernet cable to WAN port on your router. All other other network devices obviously connected either through wired LAN ports - or wirelessly. So there will be no direct connection between the BluRay player and the HN7000S. I have no idea how your BluRay initiates a connection with NetFlix, nor do I know how the video is stored or buffered.

Throughput (download) speeds are not an issue, they're plenty fast for video. But what you clearly have not considered, is the HughesNet FAP restrictions. How big of a file does a full length NetFlix film represent? Let's say 2 GB. Well - depending upon which monthly plan you buy - you're only permitted to download between 200 and 500 MB in any rolling 24 hour period. The only exception is 0200-0700 (Eastern), when unlimited downloading is permitted.

I doubt you want to limit your movie watching time to 0200-0700. So if you want to record from NetFlix during those hours, you'll need download management software - and a sizeable hard drive to store the video data for later viewing. Short of that, it probably makes sense to cancel the NetFlix subscription and just go to the video store.

Welcome to the wonderful world of satellite internet.

//greg//

yes the fap restriction may be a problem. like i told you before this place where i am going to have the satellite internet is a vacation place. in my regular home here i have cable internet. the blu-ray is not a big issue, but if it would have worked it would have been a plus. like you said if the kids want to see a movie they will have to go to a rental place. the most time we spend there is 3 weeks at a time. i just hope that when i retire in another 6 years they will have regular internet there like cable or dsl.

titotito,

Don't get your hopes up for cable or DSL.

Where I live in Blaine, it would cost the cable company $35000 to lease pole space and string cable to provide internet to my place.

The cost to the phone company for (at least) two DSLAMs and associated infrastructure to provide DSL to my place would be $116000.

I'm in a five or ten acre zoning area, so the potential business density isn't enough for them to justify those amounts.

Maybe your location is more internet-friendly.

Or, maybe we can get some of that new government cheese/internet they're talking about!

where i am going to set up this satellite, the closes house with cable internet is like a mile and a half to two miles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)