question about ku band

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

dan00

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
south ms
i have a 12' SAMI dish with a chaparral corotor 2 plus feed horn, the best ku quality i can get is 75 and i have a smaller Direct ku-ka dish which is 25 width and 30 length and it gets about the same quality that my 12 foot does. i thought the big dish would get a better quality but there about the same. does anyone have any tips , maybe i have something off on my big dish. thanks.

On most receivers, somewhere between 70 and 80% Quality is considered the best signal you can get on most Ku-band channels :) Are you getting all the channels and without any break-up?

A prime focus consumer BUD, generally, performs as well as a 1m Ku dish. A 75Q isn't nothing to sneeze at really.(being aware that different brand/model receivers can display wildly different values) The real question is 'how does it perform across the arc? Do you miss a lot of what's reported 'up there'? If not, then there is no more 'to be had'.
75 might be about where your receiver 'tops out' in displaying Q.
About the only thing you can do, to see if the BUD is under-performing, is put up a dedicated offset ku, and compare. Maybe a couple different sizes so as to compare. (But I'd say you're doing fine)
I did this a few yrs ago, and found my BUD was not doing as well as a 30 inch (commercial) offset dish. Now all my Ku is on offset dishes today. I motorized one by mounting it to the BUD. http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...-i-made-c-only-bud.html?highlight=Bud+play+Ku

Last edited:
The microHD, as well as the Openbox (and probably other ALI-based receivers as well) seem to top out around the upper 70s in quality readings, so a 75Q might be a very strong reading if you're using an ALI-based receiver.

im hitting the ark pretty good. the farthest satellite i can get is 53 degrees. heres some of my readings across the ark :

Quality
71 53w ch. Guatemala
73 72w ch. NBC
76 91w ch. News One Live
75 97w ch. Nite
76 103w ch. Pentagon
70 123w ch. KBS World
71 125w ch. Montana PBS ( fluctuates from 60-70)
74 125w transponder 11980 H 29998

anyone have problems with the PBS as for as the quality being high? always get a good picture but sometimes its low or its high. i always get good quality on the other transponder, i believe thats a carribean signal. can anyone look at there signal and give me an idea of what they are getting. thanks. i know on my c band i do get some quality up to 85. its a manhattan 933 reciever and it may peak at 85 not sure on c band. that may be as high as it will go on the quality with the manhattan reciever. the ku lnb is Norsat model 2707A .07 db type with the stability +/-750khz, gain 60 db. if i went to a .06 db would it help any at all? i was thinking the 12 foot mesh dish would get a better quality but it may not being mesh. let me know what anyone thinks. thanks.

Comparing Qualities on different receivers is like apples and oranges. But I guess they're both kind of round fruits, so here goes ;)

On LPB on 87W and some of the PBS feeds on 125W, I usually get Q in the low 80s on my microHD. No other signals have come in stronger. I get 76Q on the 11980 Claro TV transponder (although I have that as Vertical, not Horizontal). Currently Montana is between 75 and 79Q, and Oklahoma is around 75Q... both of those seem to fluctuate with me. Other comparisons:

KBS = 71Q
Pentagon (on 101, not 103) = 76Q
NITV = 75Q
News One = 77Q
NBC on 72w = 73Q
Guatemala = 70Q

I'd say you're about as good as you'll get :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)