Question about multiple DVI/HDMI inputs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

cal87

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Cutting Edge
Aug 3, 2005
Tracy, CA
I have a plasma with one DVI input. I currently have a HD DVR connected via the DVI input and a DVD player connected throught the component inputs. I want to get an upconverting DVD player. Is there an easy way to connect both devices without getting a separate receiver with multiple DVI/HDMI inputs? Is there some kind of simple switch?

I am going to get a second setup for my bedroom, and will likely have the same problem. I'm trying to keep a minimal setup - TV, satellite box, DVD player - no extra speakers or receivers.

Then I guess the suggestion of a Pioneer Elite 72 or 74 is out of the question then? (Or then denon 3806) They all do HDMI switching.

cal87 said:
Thanks, but is there anything cheaper?

I've got a Gefen... did a lot of searching, and didn't find anything cheaper.

But it works, has a remote, and it works with my Harmony remote. Most of all, I saw a big difference connecting the upscaling dvd player using dvi vs. component.

My TV has a VGA input as well. I know there are DVI to VGA adapters out there. How's the quality there?

cal87 said:
I want to get an upconverting DVD player.

I'm not sure about the switching, but you may want to wait a few months for the upscaling DVD. Value Electronics (a sponser for this site, can find their link on the top) has a shipment of the first HD-DVD's coming in March...and not only will it display HD DVD content but it will upconvert your existing DVD's. It's a couple $100 more, but its HD!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts