question about old rear projection

tkdan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
I have an old RCA 52" rear projection. After it has been on for an hour or two it shuts off the projection lights, I can turn it off and come back later and turn it on and it works. I don't know if something is over heating or what the deal is. Is there anything that I can check, change, or whatever to maybe fix it.

Perhaps the fan (if it has one) is not working properly. And a temperature monitor shuts off the lamp to prevent overheating. Just a guess.
If that's the case any local repair shop should be able to take care of this. Call them and ask how much they would charge for that.
They may have some ideas on what might be wrong when you talk to them on the phone. For example, if they too suspect the fan, then I would go ahead and have them order the fan before coming over. This might save them a trip.

Thanks for the reply. I did not find a fan but I did find about an 1/8" of dust covering everything. Maybe all that dust was not letting it breath. What do you think?

That's very possible! Dust prevents normal air circulation and can cause overheating.

I cleaned everything put it all back together and it worked about 30 minuntes then the picture shut off. I don't know if it is worth paying someone to repair it. I have had my eye on a 65" maybe I'll will break down and buy it. Thanks for the replies.

It's worth a call and getting a quote if possible. If the repair cost is too high, then consider this an excuse to buy an upgrade. ;)

I cleaned everything put it all back together and it worked about 30 minuntes then the picture shut off. I don't know if it is worth paying someone to repair it. I have had my eye on a 65" maybe I'll will break down and buy it. Thanks for the replies.

I'm waiting for the day for something like that to happen to mine so I can justify getting a new one too. ;)

once you get the dust off, the set will look new again to you...
Happened to me on an old RCA 40" RP that I bought new in about '85. Worked OK for many years but the pic was gradually fading. I opened it once to find and fix an intermittency and found the 1/2" of dust on the tubes and a good coating on the mirror. Cleaned all that and the brightness was like new. The unit still works somewhat with a different problem so I don't watch it any more. It has a new job serving as the stand for my 52" Sony LCD....!

I'm waiting for the day for something like that to happen to mine so I can justify getting a new one too. ;)
Have a keg party and place the TV where it makes a good place for everyone to set down their cups. The rest will take care of itself! (Ask me how I know...!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)