Question about planting poles for big dishes

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm not really surprised that you haven't found River Broadcasting Net with your dislike for religious and "foreign" programing, but if you would scan 97W KU, 11966 H 22000 and it's DBS-2 so any FTA receiver should find it.

Good luck

Photto

Actually I have found River, like from when they first appeared on the air.
At first they ran a lot of old movies sort of like White Springs did but now every time I check them it's just infomercials so I gave up on them.
I never was able to find a published TV for them anywhere, so, I'm not going to sit there through infomercials just waiting for something good to come one..

Foreign stuff, IF they have English sub titles, that's fine with me or like the Cubavision stuff where it's English with their sub titles, that's fine too.
I just have no use for stuff that's in a language I don't understand and isn't sub titled.. I grew up in an era when learning a second language wasn't mandatory and in the small town I lived in, no one ever thought one might need to know a foreign language.

One of my most favorite movies is in French which I totally do not understand a word of, Amelie --> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0211915/

Thankfully it has sub titles so I can enjoy this totally cute movie along with all the French speaking people..

I'm still waiting on a Star Trek translator thing.

Woo hoo!!

I found the final missing piece!

So, my dad bought some poles to fit the BIG 10' dish.

I ~think~ they are 3 1/2 outside size. I'm pretty sure that's what they are. And I ~think~ the inside of them is about 3".

So the big problem has been how to put the little 6' dish on ANY pole because it's a weird size. We measured it's mount thing and it needs a 70mm pole. We googled and could find no such critter anywhere. My dad says that's probably some BS they use in China only. I wouldn't be surprised..

So nothing you can buy fits it. Grrrrrr! :rant:

Well, my dad figured out that he could take a smaller pipe and trim it down on one end then weld it into the bigger pole. Pipe, pole, post.... I don't know what the proper name is for these, I've been calling them poles mostly.

Anyway.. So the problem was to find that smaller piece.

Bingo! I found it and it's been sitting under my nose for YEARS!
There is an old, UGLY 50's camper trailer in my yard I use as a tool shed. I was out playing with my dog in the mud a while ago and I looked over and like a bolt of lightning, I saw it.

Welded onto the front of the trailer hitch is a short piece of pipe. I guess it was part of the awning system or something, I dunno. I walked over and looked at it and dang it if it isn't just right!

So I ran inside and got the digital measuring thing my dad gave me (Dad fixed me up with a buncha tools last year) and measured it. It's 73mm around! This is just the right size for what he was talking about.. So I called him and he said that yes, this is perfect, he can trim it down on a machine so that half of it is 70mm and the rest of it stays at 73mm. He can then put it into the end of the BIG pole and weld it into place. I plant the pole in cement then and after that, put the dish in it and all is good!

Woo hoo!!

So my dad is going to come by tomorrow and saw it off the trailer hitch if it isn't raining, take it home and do his magic to it.

Now with that one last part we were missing it's just a matter of getting the poles planted. I don't know how we can do that because we estimated that it's going to take like 32 bags of cement at 80lbs a bag. That's like insanely heavy. That's 16 bags each for the two poles.

The big, giant hold up now is the weather. It's been raining and my yard is a swamp and it's supposed to rain again tomorrow and then it's supposed to get really cold for the rest of the week. It takes my yard ~forever~ to drain off and dry up.

There is no way possible it's going to be happening this week. No way..
Next week is do or die time. I need some good weather now!

Attachments

• IMG_8312.resized.JPG
    IMG_8312.resized.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_8326.resized.JPG
    IMG_8326.resized.JPG
    175 KB · Views: 145
Woo hoo!!

I found the final missing piece!

So, my dad bought some poles to fit the BIG 10' dish.

I ~think~ they are 3 1/2 outside size. I'm pretty sure that's what they are. And I ~think~ the inside of them is about 3".

So the big problem has been how to put the little 6' dish on ANY pole because it's a weird size. We measured it's mount thing and it needs a 70mm pole. We googled and could find no such critter anywhere. My dad says that's probably some BS they use in China only. I wouldn't be surprised..

So nothing you can buy fits it. Grrrrrr! :rant:

Well, my dad figured out that he could take a smaller pipe and trim it down on one end then weld it into the bigger pole. Pipe, pole, post.... I don't know what the proper name is for these, I've been calling them poles mostly.

Anyway.. So the problem was to find that smaller piece.

Bingo! I found it and it's been sitting under my nose for YEARS!
There is an old, UGLY 50's camper trailer in my yard I use as a tool shed. I was out playing with my dog in the mud a while ago and I looked over and like a bolt of lightning, I saw it.

Welded onto the front of the trailer hitch is a short piece of pipe. I guess it was part of the awning system or something, I dunno. I walked over and looked at it and dang it if it isn't just right!

So I ran inside and got the digital measuring thing my dad gave me (Dad fixed me up with a buncha tools last year) and measured it. It's 73mm around! This is just the right size for what he was talking about.. So I called him and he said that yes, this is perfect, he can trim it down on a machine so that half of it is 70mm and the rest of it stays at 73mm. He can then put it into the end of the BIG pole and weld it into place. I plant the pole in cement then and after that, put the dish in it and all is good!

Woo hoo!!

So my dad is going to come by tomorrow and saw it off the trailer hitch if it isn't raining, take it home and do his magic to it.

Now with that one last part we were missing it's just a matter of getting the poles planted. I don't know how we can do that because we estimated that it's going to take like 32 bags of cement at 80lbs a bag. That's like insanely heavy. That's 16 bags each for the two poles.

The big, giant hold up now is the weather. It's been raining and my yard is a swamp and it's supposed to rain again tomorrow and then it's supposed to get really cold for the rest of the week. It takes my yard ~forever~ to drain off and dry up.

There is no way possible it's going to be happening this week. No way..
Next week is do or die time. I need some good weather now!

Check the size of a metal fence post. It is "thin wall" (sch 20). But it is the correct size for the some "smaller" size dishes I've worked with.

Check the size of a metal fence post. It is "thin wall" (sch 20). But it is the correct size for the some "smaller" size dishes I've worked with.

This is the dish I'm talking about. It's a 6' mini Cband dish that was on sale here last year for like $70. There's an enormous thread about the dish in the FTA section.

All my small ku dishes are planted and need no further work, I'm trying now to plant the two Cband dishes, a 10 foot and a 6 foot dish.

I'm smack dead on the Texas coast and we get a lot of hurricanes so these poles have to be very, very substantial. I do not expect the six foot dish to survive, it's going to fold up like a wilted flower the first good storm we get, it's flimsy and I bent it in several places trying to assemble it so it's already on borrowed time and it's never even been put up for the first time yet.

If the little one goes in a storm I won't weep too much but the big dish, I'll croak if it gets damaged, they are soooo expensive and hard to come by and the stash of dishes my ex left me all got crushed up and or stolen last year so this is the last one, I can not afford to replace it.

Attachments

• IMG_8323.resized.JPG
    IMG_8323.resized.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_5058.resized.JPG
    IMG_5058.resized.JPG
    401.3 KB · Views: 170
Well this project is officially dead until at least spring. It's been raining and my yard flooded. Then it froze and now my yard is an ice skating rink. It's supposed to stay cold and rainy all week with possible snow. A day of mild temps over the weekend and then a repeat of this week only next week is promised to be even more harsh than this week. With the rain and the cold, my yard is not going to dry up for weeks, or worse. And I'm talking several inches deep of standing water (now ice)..

Watch. Mark my words. Spring will get here where I can get those dishes up and just before or right after, they'll pull another Equity and kill off ThisTV and MeTV.
And any others that I might even think about glancing at.

I'm about ready to just give up and give the big dishes away. That's just too big of a project for me to handle. A 1m dish, not so big. These? Waaaaay too big.

:(

Don't give up, Dee. The channels on 87W C-Band are WAAAAY worth the trouble, even if you never motorize the dish. I don't see them going anywhere soon, so you should be safe to wait until this cold wintery mix is finished.

Don't give up, Dee. The channels on 87W C-Band are WAAAAY worth the trouble, even if you never motorize the dish. I don't see them going anywhere soon, so you should be safe to wait until this cold wintery mix is finished.

I sure hope you're right. I wish I could afford to pay someone to do the labor but then I don't trust some yahoo with no experience to do this sort of thing and it's been my experience that men do NOT like being told how to do things by a woman. I've been thinking that maybe I should enlist my dad's help as labor liaison, I can tell him what needs to be done then he can deal with a laborer(s) to oversee it and make sure it gets done right. Even then it looks like there's no hope until spring. :(

I sure hope you're right. I wish I could afford to pay someone to do the labor but then I don't trust some yahoo with no experience to do this sort of thing and it's been my experience that men do NOT like being told how to do things by a woman. I've been thinking that maybe I should enlist my dad's help as labor liaison, I can tell him what needs to be done then he can deal with a laborer(s) to oversee it and make sure it gets done right. Even then it looks like there's no hope until spring. :(

Dee, you are going to do this, this project of yours, whether you realize it now or later. You want it done and therefore you are going to get it done one way or another! :)
You know why I know this? Because you cannot stand to let it go! It is important to you, personally, to prove something to yourself and you will have the urge to follow up with it.

I believe that, you should, too.

Gordy

Dee, you are going to do this, this project of yours, whether you realize it now or later. You want it done and therefore you are going to get it done one way or another! :)
You know why I know this? Because you cannot stand to let it go! It is important to you, personally, to prove something to yourself and you will have the urge to follow up with it.

I believe that, you should, too.

Gordy

Well that and I've got a lot invested in it now.
I bought two of the Cband motors, a Gbox adapter, a Cband LNB, cables, a six foot Cband dish and probably other things I've forgotten.
Oh, and the poles. Plus I had that huge stash of old dishes that got crushed up, then there was one left that would have been an easy install and it got stolen then I had to turn to the ONE that was left here in pieces, having never seen it assembled before, not knowing where all it's parts were and having no real hope of salvaging it.
Months of digging around through the junk here turned up ALL the missing parts to it and more months of research and contemplation and I was able to mostly figure out how it goes together. I'm just so close to being able to make it all happen but it's just so horrible outside now that I can't start on it.

While I might be able to dig two holes 18 inches about and six feet deep, I can't mix 32 bags of cement much less move them to the back yard much less move the poles around. I can't even budge them. I'm just not physically able to do the work. Even once the poles are cemented in, I don't have a clue how I would be able to put the dishes up on top of the poles.

It always takes me a long time to get anything done. And by the time I get this done, the channels I really want, will be gone.

I'll bet money that before long satellite will go away anyway and everything will go to fiber optic.
Except that over priced and over valued pizza dish satellite.

Jeeze, Dee, as an avid follower of your trials and tribulations, I have to say this.

It really IS time for you to throw away that half empty glass you seem to favor and carry around as a shield, and replace it with one that is constantly half full.

SO WHAT if a channel you want to watch disappears between now and the time you get your C Band up and running, or even if it goes away right after you get it up. If you'll look at what's been posted just in the past two months about new channels coming on line, it really seems that each time a channel goes away, here comes another one to replace it.

Two thoughts come to mind. You are NOT paying a subscription for this, and your learning something new almost daily. THAT has to be worth something, eh?

Just my thoughts on this.

Photto

Jeeze, Dee, as an avid follower of your trials and tribulations, I have to say this.

It really IS time for you to throw away that half empty glass you seem to favor and carry around as a shield, and replace it with one that is constantly half full.

SO WHAT if a channel you want to watch disappears between now and the time you get your C Band up and running, or even if it goes away right after you get it up. If you'll look at what's been posted just in the past two months about new channels coming on line, it really seems that each time a channel goes away, here comes another one to replace it.

Two thoughts come to mind. You are NOT paying a subscription for this, and your learning something new almost daily. THAT has to be worth something, eh?

Just my thoughts on this.

Photto

Well, I still want to do it but the reality is, it's just too big of a project for me and I have the weather working against me.
I really should wait till spring, which is only about 6 weeks away for us down here and just hire someone to do the work.
This is a BIG project and I'm just not physically up to it..

Well, I still want to do it but the reality is, it's just too big of a project for me and I have the weather working against me.
I really should wait till spring, which is only about 6 weeks away for us down here and just hire someone to do the work.
This is a BIG project and I'm just not physically up to it..
OK, need I remind you that Rome wasn't built in a day? Start slow, see if you are physically capable of starting the hole you need to plant your pole. It sounds like you may have a physical handicap, so don't even TRY to lift the pole, go slow. If you tire yourself, stop for a while or a day, then start again fresh another day, or two later.

I and several of the members here are older and some of us are even handicapped, but with perseverance, you can do ANYTHING you set your mind too. I almost think if I said something like "if we could ..." you'd come back with a "but you're MEN ..." or some such foolishness. Well, let me tell ya what, Phottoette does MOST of the heavy lifting, I am incapable and besides, she LOVES showing me that she is stronger than I. She's in her late fifties, and is a little slip of a thing.

It's a real bummer taking a jar to her and asking her to open it for me.

You planted those poles in your back yard, with help, but you got that done.

You can move a wheelbarrow, I'd bet, so just carry one bag of cement at a time to the back and mix with water one bag at a time. If you spill some, so what. When you get it ALL done, with or without help, look how proud you'll be (and we will be too right there with you).

I'd love to say more, but it's my bedtime and I have to take my meds, that'll space me out for the rest of the night.

Photto

Hi girl,
My little RedHead, who looks a lot like you, has been working for almost 6 week with a cast on a broken wrist. She has more eX's than I can count who have left her with more headaches.... She is looking hard at the half century mark.
And she is in Anchorage AK. Shovel ice and snow with a cast on.... AND she was the best refrigeration mechanic I ever had. She could do it. After all; blonds Have more fun - self centered? But red heads Are more fun - thinking about others! (And the white haired one who puts up wiith me is my most fun!) I agree with Photto you can do it! With our help on SatelliteGuys, maybe we can keep you glass full!

POP

Stop feeling sorry for yourself. It's winter and b4 long spring will come to S TX. Then you can deal w/ it. You are looking at the dark side of thing right now and things will change. Get someone to dig the hole for you using an auger that you can rent from a local rental store. When it is time to pole in the ground then put some pebble rocks in the bottom for drainage to keep the bottom of the pole for rusting out as quickly. Then shove the pole into the hole. Surely you can find someone that will do that for you. OK at this point don't bother w/mixing the concrete in the bottom of the hole. Just pour in a couple of bags of the ready mix dry to center it and tamp it down with some kind of rod. That will allow you to center the pole and plumb it up. Then fill the rest of the hole w/ the mixed concrete mix. The dry ready mix (pour some water on top of it) will pull the moisture out of the ground and harden over time. The fill up the rest of the hole w/ the concrete. Assemble dish put it's mount on it. Then with 1 or 2 friends stand it on it's edge and slip the mount onto the pole which should be shorter that the center point of the dish. That is all of the hardest parts.

Dee,

This is a really excellent thread for (not only your benefit in your personal project at hand here) but it is great information for "newbies" to the FTA hobby! They can read, first hand and step-by-step, how the process proceeds or doesn't proceed - due to weather and the elements or the availability of the "right" pieces that are required that you need to hunt and scrounge for. It is a perfect example for a DIY FTA project! It is also a great example of how we, as a group, come together for assistance of others.

This thread points out many of the hurdles that a person must contend with in order to play with this hobby. I was going to point out that us northerners were really eager to see you get your base foundation (the hole digging and post setting activities) accomplished because we cannot dig our own up here. The ground is covered in feet of snow and the ground is frozen. So we are kinda restricted by mother nature. However, I forgot that your backyard flooded and then turned to ice! Uuuugggghhh! You are not going to be out there chipping ice with a railroad pickaxe! I wouldn't either as that would be too extreme. It isn't worth that much effort. I've done a lot of crazy dish projects in the middle of winter, but I am NOT going to dig a hole through ice and snow and a few feet of frozen ground while it is snowing and blowing snow in 30 mph wind and colder than 15°F! I will wait til spring and 75°F and dry, sunny days.

This does bring me to state one thing. For me and many northerners, we use the time when mother nature doesn't work well for us (i.e. winter) to plan out our warm weather projects, to research data, ideas and scrounge for equipment. Anything that we can do inside - where it is warm. So don't feel discouraged because you cannot tackle specific elements of your project due to the weather issues, just take it as a blessing to be able to refine and double-check your plans and equipment lists. Maybe work on a few of the used components inside to clean them up and lubricate them - refurbish them so that they are truly ready to go! Take advantage of the time available for the appropriate part of the project.

One word of caution for you specifically, Dee. You mention a few times about turning down a pipe to fit the dish mount (to make the mast diameter acceptable to the mount of the dish itself). Be very aware of some pitfalls in doing this. First of all, many pipes are not that thick walled and turning them down on a lathe may really take away too much from the physical strength of the structure of the pipe, this is an obvious concern right off. It may become too thin to support the dish. You don't want to take away too much of that "meat". Secondly, many metal pipes are treated or coated (i.e galvanized piping) to prevent oxidation or rust. If you turn that pipe down, you remove that protective layer as it is very thin and only part of the very top exterior surface of the metal. This opens your metal mast up to the extremes of degradation in regards to rusting, which will weaken it moreso over time. There may be better methods to address this and I would take this time to research them. It is always best to use the right piece for the job and NOT modifiy it to make it fit by taking away from it.

Another item, about your backyard flooding often and standing with water. I assume that this is due to rain most often. I have riverfront property so when I think of my backyard flooding, I am envisioning much more than 2"-5" of standing water. I am thinking of 2 feet to 5 feet or possibly more of running water with tree limbs and other debris! Maybe even huge chunks of ice as big as a small bus! So, my impression (the visual picture in my mind) might be different from what your backyard truly looks like when you describe it as flooded. However, if you have consistent trouble with this issue, even if it is only a few inches in depth, you might consider doing something to help your yard drain better so that the water does not stand there for a long time. One idea that you can apply is this...

Locate the lowest point in your backyard, flag the very center of it when the standing water is nearly gone away. A few feet away from that point, at a location that is nearly the same level, but just a little higher, have someone auger a two foot diameter hole, down into the soil as far as they can. Then, backfill that hole with coarse rock and gravel. If you can get the hole deep enough to access more porous soil underneath the clay topsoil, the hole will provide a drain so that water will not stand so long in your yard. The rock and gravel will be a "strainer" like that in your bathtub to keep the drain open the longest over time. Sincerely, you can drain a lot of water this way. Research this if you plan to do anything like this so that you know how to lay the rock, gravel and sand in proper layers to keep the drain open over a long time. Sediment will eventually clog this drain, so you want to set it up the best way to keep it open the longest without too much maintenance.

Oh, you might question why I stated to auger the hole at a location higher than the lowest point. Most sediment and debris (grass clippings, tree leaves, etc) will collect at the lowest point moreso eventually and predominately thus, keeping the "drain area" from getting clogged. You can clean the "lowest" area with a rake after the water recedes completely. Less of that debris will float to your "drain" and collect there. This will extend the life of the drain.

OK, that last paragraph had very little to do with FTA satellite information, normally. But, you seem to have a unique problem with the drainage of your yard where you are desiring to install all your dishes. I recall one of your posts where your older dishes were standing on a smidgeon of land as an island in the middle of your back yard and you had to wade to get to them. You don't want that to be the future for all your backyard projects, FTA or other. So, this is my idea for you, if you think that the water drainage in your backyard is too much of a nuissance to put up with. This is a fairly cheap fix for this problem without having to install some sort of a pump to drain it. It is a passive and natural drainage system that works with as little effort or assistance from you. Just an idea that I wanted to relay to you. There are other methods to drain your water away that might be much more efficient and "long-lived", but they are also much more expensive. This simple "drain hole in the ground" is a really inexpensive and quick & dirty method to get the job done without tearing up and relandscaping your entire yard. And it can be accomplished in a few hours, if you have it already all planned out.

I hope that everything I have stated is helpful to you, Dee, and also to many others.

RADAR

The drainage problem she has has to do with the lack there of. She lives in a area that has mostly clay soil so it doesn't absorb well.

Watch,

You obviously missed my point.

That is precisely the reason I presented the idea. If there is a possibility to reach below the surfuce (top layers of clay to a more "porous layer of earth) then this drain idea of mine will work.
So, you have to auger a hole down to that more porous substrate and install a channel to direct the surface water there. This simple procedure works, when the top soil is clay and everyone knws that clay soil does not drain well or at all. But, if you can find a more porous soil below that clay, like sand or gravel, and you can keep that channel open, the water will drain away, rather than having to wait for it to evaporate. It all depends upon how deep the clay goes. Clay is an excellent sealant that holds water on top and you have to get through that layer to drain the water to lower and different layers of soil to allow it (the water) to drain down.

It is just something for Dee to look into to determine if it is worthwhile.

RADAR

Hi girl,
My little RedHead, who looks a lot like you, has been working for almost 6 week with a cast on a broken wrist. She has more eX's than I can count who have left her with more headaches.... She is looking hard at the half century mark.
And she is in Anchorage AK. Shovel ice and snow with a cast on.... AND she was the best refrigeration mechanic I ever had. She could do it. After all; blonds Have more fun - self centered? But red heads Are more fun - thinking about others! (And the white haired one who puts up wiith me is my most fun!) I agree with Photto you can do it! With our help on SatelliteGuys, maybe we can keep you glass full!

POP

My redhead just got out of he cast and now as a brace for a couple of weeks. I know you can do this job because -- well see her picture though her hair does not show up red...
DSCN0596.JPG

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)