Question about Preamplifiers

You've asked the same thing at avs and have received good info

but its real simple...an amplifier can only amplify what is there. If there is no signal the odds of getting it are slim.
It also amplifies the noise which can screw up a good signal.

If a signal is weak it **MIGHT** help. I'm not saying it will. I've tried amps to get help a station 72 miles away (mainly for DX'ing) and an amp actually made it worse (more dropouts)...yeah the signal went up but the noise level did too which hindered the signal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antenna_amplifier

Since the signals today are digital, snow and interference will not appear in a digital received TV picture. One can help or might not, but if it's a weak signal the picture won't lock and you can have pixelation problems.

I have a preamp. It has not been as helpful in pulling in distant stations as i had hoped. I think I will remove it.

I have a powered amp/splitter for my antenna. It doesn't bring in additional channels, but I get a more steady signal than when I just used a plain splitter. ION, ION Life, and Qubo come in much better where I am with the amp. It makes for much easier recording on my USB tv tuner (WINTV 950 Q). ***Note: always disconnect the amp from power before plugging the coax into any devices. I fried my old WINTV 950 that way.***

No if I could figure out why WVIT hasn't been coming in well lately...

As was previously stated, the main use for an amplifier is to keep the signal from deteriorating over a long run and if it is to be split. I have a 34db mast mounted amplifier because I have my signal split 9 times. I get a perfect signal on every device.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)