Question about switching to D*

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Trav

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 3, 2004
I'm thinking about getting the HR10-250 receiver from ValueElectronics online. I'm currently a Dish subscriber, so I'll be switching to D* as a 1st time customer. What is the actual process I'll need to go through to switch?

I want to buy the receiver from ValueElectronics, but I assume I can just call Direct TV to subscribe and setup the free installation, right? Or do I have to go through a retailer of some sort? Would I just tell them that I already have the HD receiver and just have them install it when they come to install the dish, or do I have to do all of this from the same retailer?

Your timing couldn't be better! Today we started selling forum members the HR10-250 for $799.99. New subscribers get the 18x20 dish and up to 2 additional basic receivers and free installation.

We set up your DIRECTV account and the technician begins the activation process when he completes the install.

-Robert

Yes, I was reading about the special on the Tivo Community Forum, so I'll probably give you a call tomorrow.

So I would place the order through you, you'd ship the receiver and set up an install date, right? How does the installation work? I mean, when I set up my Dish account, a local satellite company installed the dish and everything. How does that work when you order online - are there installers here locally or what?

Also, I have another month to go before I can cancel with Dish. It won't be a problem having my current Dish equipment still installed, will it?

I'm also concerned about returns. I'll want to make sure the receiver works well with my OTA antenna since recording local channels will be a top priority for me. What happens if I experience problems with this or if I'm just not happy with the service. Do I have 30 days or something to cancel without any kind of penalty? What about the receiver - if it doesn't work out, can I return it? I'm not *expecting* any problems, but I want to make sure I can stay with Dish if the switch doesn't work out.

Also, I have another month to go before I can cancel with Dish. It won't be a problem having my current Dish equipment still installed, will it?

Well, if you wait till you're ready to cancel Dish, then the installer can use the existing mast you have and just put the new dish on. That's what I did. Makes it easier for them and much faster on the install.

scrotus said:
Well, if you wait till you're ready to cancel Dish, then the installer can use the existing mast you have and just put the new dish on. That's what I did. Makes it easier for them and much faster on the install.

Except Dish mounted their dish to the roof of my house... I wonder if the installers for D* would be willing to remove that dish and just mount the new one in the same spot when they do the install??? I can still wait to cancel Dish until my contract expires even though I have taken down the dish, right?

Well I did it! I ordered the HR10-250 from ValueElectronics and will be switching from E* to D* when they come out to install it. I was told on the phone that I need the 2 dish setup and multiswitch to get locals here - is that unusual and does that cause any problems (other than the obvious extra dish outside)? Also, I was told that the installer would be able to remove the current Dish and put the new one in the same spot on my roof - so then I'll just send the equipment back to Dish after that. They'll still be able to use my existing wires that Dish installed, apparently.

I also ordered an additional extra receiver at no cost. I'll just hook that one up to mc PC's capture card so I can watch on my computer too (obviously not in HD, but that's okay). She told me on the phone that I could deactive the extra receiver at any time and just keep it as a spare if I didn't want to pay the extra $5/month.

Now I just have to set up a time for the install! Thanks for all the help.

While I'm switching from E* to D*, the switch hasn't been going well.

2/5/2005 install date:
No one arrives between 8 and 12 to install. Call retailer, who tells me I have to speak with D* directly. Call D*, they say they tried to contact me on 2/4 to reschedule due to equipment not available. Had given an alternate number during ordering, but for whatever reason they decided to not record it, nor attempt to call it. Rescheduled for 2/9/2005 install. A "supervisor" mentioned that the shipment of H10-250's was scheduled to arrive either late Monday or early Tuesday, hence why I opted then to get it installed Wednesday. Guaranteed me it would be installed Wednesday.

2/9/2005 install date:
No one shows, again, between 8 and 12. Call D*, they get in touch with local installer who says they'll be there in 10 minutes, arrives 12:30. Installer replaces E* dish with D* dish. Comes in with box containing receiver. I ask him if that's the HD DVR receiver. Nope, wrong receiver. He "Nextel's" his supervisor. Supervisor says they don't carry that receiver, it's on 9 month backorder, and tells him to tell me (which I can hear, of course) to go to Best Buy and buy it. What? I already paid for it. Was supposed to be brought during install. Back on phone with D*.

They contact local installer, hang up on me a couple times, all the while the installer puts my E* dish back up and leaves, without telling me he's leaving. After being previously guaranteed, now they're not sure when it will be installed. Equipment isn't around. And while the Best Buy less then a mile away has them in stock, they appear to not want to do any customer satisfaction and get the job done, no matter the cost to them. Get in touch with two different D* supervisors. One hangs up on me during the call, the other (rather nice lady) informs me she's trying to contact regional to find out what the problem is, or where it is, and get it resolved. Says she'll call me back, either way, before the end of her shift. Now I'm reluctant about that since I've heard that line over a couple days in conversations with D*, but she tries to assure me.

She does call back, said the receiver is apparently lost in transit somewhere. That particular receiver, of course. Heaven forbid I get someone elses receiver. Expected date to get it and install? Still none. She'll call me back.

Now, having become completely fed up with D*'s support, I call the place I ordered it from. They go through the same motions, again, with contacting D*, hearing the story from them, etc... I mention the Best Buy alternative, which is an option, but not yet. I mention the fact that the money has been pulled from my account, but still no receiver, and get the "we can cancel the order if you want". What I want is the receiver I ordered, installed, on the date they said. Supposedly I'll get a call from regional or something on Thursday.

2/10/2005:
The local installer calls me. Apparently D* shipped the receiver to the wrong warehouse. Not my problem of course, and he agrees, but doesn't excuse the fact that they came to my house the day prior with the wrong one, and the work order said HD DVR unit. Was told on Wednesday that there were no install times available for Saturday. Surprisingly, one opens up. Now I'm again guaranteed, by the installer this time, that it will be installed Saturday, with the correct receiver and correct dish.

Not a good way to start a relationship... I'm fed up with E* and their lack of help, the fact that I've replaced the 721 once already, and need to again, and the 921 (which I looked at) gets such a magnitude of bad reviews compared to the HD Tivo unit. And Voom doesn't offer a DVR unit (as I had hoped). Hopefully things will be better this Saturday, and results will be posted. Next time I'll order the unit and have it delivered to me instead of letting it come with the installer. I hope you don't have to go through any of what I have so far. Too many phone calls, too much trust with lies floating around. With my current set-up, and equipment placement, it should take no more then an hour at most to get it all hooked up. I wired the house myself, with the only thing missing being the cable run for the antenna.

Here's hoping this Saturday is a better day...

Ouch, bad experience indeed! We'll see how things go on my end. I *shouldn't* have a problem getting the HR10-250 since I ordered from ValueElectronics and they said it would ship today. I do, however, have to wait until the installer calls me to set up an install date. I just placed the order earlier today (Thursday), so I'm hoping to hear from them tomorrow.

My HD-Tivo unit has FINALLY been installed. All I can say is "WOW!". The quality is amazing. It's a major change from using a 721, that's for sure. The guide is slow, and it's still a pain in the butt trying to figure out the best way to get to shows I want to record (that are on other then the current date). But overall I'm satisfied.

And I must say the best thing to do is have the unit shipped directly to you. I bought from a vendor that doesn't. They merely take the money for D*, and let the installer bring out the equipment. Bad experience with that, for sure. Yet it's hard to be upset with D* when I am finally experiencing what my TV has been waiting to show me. Not to mention, if the rain should knock my satellite out for a short bit, I have the OTA there for the more common shows I generally record and watch.

Danbo said:
My HD-Tivo unit has FINALLY been installed. All I can say is "WOW!". The quality is amazing. It's a major change from using a 721, that's for sure. The guide is slow, and it's still a pain in the butt trying to figure out the best way to get to shows I want to record (that are on other then the current date). But overall I'm satisfied.

And I must say the best thing to do is have the unit shipped directly to you. I bought from a vendor that doesn't. They merely take the money for D*, and let the installer bring out the equipment. Bad experience with that, for sure. Yet it's hard to be upset with D* when I am finally experiencing what my TV has been waiting to show me. Not to mention, if the rain should knock my satellite out for a short bit, I have the OTA there for the more common shows I generally record and watch.

My installer is here right now (up on the roof actually). I already have the HR10-250 and an additional SD receiver hookedup for him. He's installing both dishes on the roof and has to run a few cables and (hopefully) I'll be good to go. I'll report back when we're finished.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts