Question about the broadband usage by the Hopper (xbox live question)

BrownHound

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 19, 2004
Amherst, VA
How ofter does the hopper/joeys access the internet from the devices? Is it a constant drain, or just occasional use when using PPV?

The reason I ask is where I live, the best internet I can get is 1.5Mps and my son plays on xbox live. If my daughter is streaming netflix on the computer, or if there is heavy internet usage by someone else, the game on xbox live starts lagging where it is unplayable...

Basically my family would rather keep our dish network system and be able to game online, rather than have the Hopper and not be able to effectively use XBL.

Thoughts by those in the know?!? much appreciated.

You don't have to connect the Hopper to broadband. It should not use much of anything unless you are using a broadband feature such as On Demand. If it does put a constant strain on your network just disconnect it from the internet.

Wildblue has a product called exede that is now 12 Mbps. 1.5Mbs is definitely going to be too slow for streaming HD on Blockbuster Movie Pass, if you intend to.

Wildblue has a product called exede that is now 12 Mbps. 1.5Mbs is definitely going to be too slow for streaming HD on Blockbuster Movie Pass, if you intend to.
True, but you can not play online games with sat internet. The latency makes it unusable for that purpose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)