Question about total authorized receivers

2x10

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I know Dish only allows 4 receivers in your household, but is that owned or leased?

I have a leased 622 in living room, leased 211 in my theatre room and I have a leased 612 in our bedroom (for extra recording purposes), but these 612's are CRAP. 1 DOA, 1 died last week and I am on my 3rd one. Not trusting this one either.

Can I purchase a used 622 (with a cleared account) outside of DISH for my bedroom? We need an extra DVR!!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance

Dish limits leased receivers, not owned (well, there are other limits, but you're not near them). You can add on owned receivers. You will, however, garner the attention of the audit team, who may call you to verify you are not account stacking.

Dish limits leased receivers, not owned (well, there are other limits, but you're not near them). You can add on owned receivers. You will, however, garner the attention of the audit team, who may call you to verify you are not account stacking.

thanks! Thats what I thought!

I was surfing thru ebay and noticed new 625's very cheap, but when you read the description, the company advises you to check your account to see if you are authorized the receiver and this is what sparked by concern. can u shed light on this???

Maximum of 6 (SIX) receivers (STB's) per residential account in any combonation of owned and leased (I have heard of some rare exceptions). If you were to have 6 dual tuner STB's, then that would give you 12 tuners with which to work.

Yes, as stated in another post, this will bring you to the attention of Auditing or Signal Integrity, and usually, they WON'T activate more than 4 boxes unless you have a phone line connections or broadband connection on ALL your boxes, and they warn you verbally that if the boxes become disconnected to phone line or ethernet, you service on all boxes will by SHUT DOWN! There a devices that can connect your boxes to phone lines or internet if you don't have either connection in the same room as the box. Dish sells both of the devices or you can get them at electronic stores like Best Buy or Fry's.

I've had 6 dual tuner boxes for years, all have been connected to phone or internet, and I have not had any problems. The boxes report everyday. Once, Auditing refused to authorize my upgraded DVR via Dish n' It UP that was to replace my older 6th box. That is how STUPID they can be, and they were rude to the installer trying to get my box authorized as this was a Dish upgrade replacing, not adding a 6th box.

Anyway, I called them after the installer left and they promptly authorized my box after giving me all sorts of verbal warnings should I dare not have them connected. Actually, the person I spoke with was very nice and didn't really understand why the other Audit person didn't just authorize it, either.

Good luck

The 625 and the ViP622 are two entirely different animals. The 625 will not work on EA. From the list it appears Pittsburgh could be on either arc. I would confirm that. Eventually, the 625 will be phased out completely, but that could be years. I'd try to find out if Dish is leaning toward EA installs for Pittsburgh, and if so, avoid the 625. Of course, the 625 is just SD. The ViP622 is HD.

i would stay away from the 625. it is a GREAT receiver but it's time is almost over. 722k is the way i would go.

Is it? not as long as the 722k only has a 1 hour pause and only 2-60 minute live buffers.The 625 has a 2 hour pause and 2-120 minute live buffers.Even DirecTV's HR2xs have 2-90 minute live buffers,even though you have to reactivate it again in 2 hours unless you fiddle with the remote which makes it a PIA.:rant:

So if Dish network wants to make the VIPs their #1 DVR they need to give them a 2 hour pause and 2-120 minute live buffers.:rolleyes:

If they did I would changeout my 625.:)

Is it? not as long as the 722k only has a 1 hour pause and only 2-60 minute live buffers.The 625 has a 2 hour pause and 2-120 minute live buffers.Even DirecTV's HR2xs have 2-90 minute live buffers,even though you have to reactivate it again in 2 hours unless you fiddle with the remote which makes it a PIA.:rant:

So if Dish network wants to make the VIPs their #1 DVR they need to give them a 2 hour pause and 2-120 minute live buffers.:rolleyes:

If they did I would changeout my 625.:)

plus true name based recording.

hmmm, so are you in the habit of walking away from your tv for hours on end and leaving it paused? Thought that was what the record button was for :p
Not dissing anyones opinion, just seems like a fine distinction to make about technology that didn't exist a few years ago.

So if Dish network wants to make the VIPs their #1 DVR they need to give them a 2 hour pause and 2-120 minute live buffers. ...
You do realize that the VIPs do permit two live buffers, do you not. Not 120 minutes, as you say, "only" 60 minutes.

Some of us could care less about a two hour buffer, particularly when all of the other improvements found on the 722k are considered. :rolleyes:

plus true name based recording.
I much prefer the VIP set up. There have been a few series that have slightly changed their program name at the start of a new season and I prefer having the Vip receiver simply continue to record those offerings.

I'd only be guessing, but it probably would have been simpler for E* to chosen "true" name based recording from a writing code perspective, but I think they did right by us by taking the path that they did.

YMMV

the advantage of true NB is that if the program changes it's time you still get it. like if stupid WWE goes over, you still get the good show that you wanted that comes after it. without having to tweak the timer yourself

the advantage of true NB is that if the program changes it's time you still get it. like if stupid WWE goes over, you still get the good show that you wanted that comes after it. without having to tweak the timer yourself

Nope. For a match that runs over, the Guide would not be updated and thus your DVR would never know that your desired event started late. This would be true whether it be "true" name based recording or the scheme that Dish uses.

No DVR can accomplish what you want - unless the source guide is updated.

i watch it do it al lthe time.

my favorite one is if the NASCAR race goes over, due to yellow flags. catches all the action right to the end.

i watch it do it al lthe time.

my favorite one is if the NASCAR race goes over, due to yellow flags. catches all the action right to the end.

Pabeader,

The reason a timer for Nascar catches the end of the race if it runs past its allotted time is not because of Name based recording, its because almost all timer events that are sports pad the end of the timer by 60 minutes by default.

John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)